Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2015, 08:44 PM   #1

Low - High end

Hi, I am a little bit new here.
We are looking for a new motorhome.
We have been to several dealers, which of course have their own favorits.
I like to now for a gas A-class.
What are average and what are high end brands.
Is there a 'list' to make ?
Thanks, Hans
Hans B is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2015, 08:58 PM   #2

Newmar gas models are one of the high end MH's. They put the same quality into them that you will see in the diesel pushers. We did our research for over two years and narrowed it down to the Newmar and Tiffin.

Go on the manufacturer forums and read what people like/dislike about their MH's, see what issues they have had, how they were handled, what/why things broke, the downtime for repair work, how they were treated by dealers ect. You will begin to develop your own sense of high vs low, or quality. For some it's price, others it's floor plans, other lack of breaking down and quality build.

Once you've done that go out and look at them and test drive all that you can, and you will develop even a better sense of what qualities are most important to you. Make sure you weigh in the price as at this price point to begin with spending a few thousand more can significantly increase the quality and or size you wish to buy. If you buy what you really want you will have something you love to use rather than something that is just ok. The price will be long forgotten, but you if you get what works best for you it will be enjoyed for a long time. Remember you get what you pay for. Good luck in your search, that's half the fun of buying one.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 08:58 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
It would help those responding if you'd give a little more information.
1. Do you have a price in mind? A range of what you'd spend will also help.
2. Do you was a gas or diesel?
3. Are you wanting new or used?
4. What are your mechanical abilities?
5. Do you do a lot of your own home repairs? Because you will have a home on wheels which will require a lot of fixing even if it's just little stuff.
6. Do you understand engines and do some of your own car/truck service and maintenance?
7. Do you have any working knowledge of electrical trouble shooting either with 120 VAC or 12 V automotive batteries.

8. What are your plans for your coach? Will you travel full time or just on weekends? Are you both retired so your plans may be to travel year round?

9. Will you be taking others with you like grand kids, animals etc.

With MH's one size does not fit all. It really depends on what you intend to do with the coach.

We have a 2014 Winnebago Vista 30T and we love it. There's just the two of us with a cat and a dog. We are both retired. We won't full time. So we will travel when we can. WBGO builds a quality unit and are moderately priced. They have good customer support. But that's just my opinion.

TeJay
Old 05-15-2015, 09:30 PM   #4

Hi thank you for your quick reply.
We live and still work in Europe and come over every year for 4 to 5 weeks to make a road trip with our 97 Bounder, we have it for 10 years now. Little by little it is getting old. In 2 or 3 years we hope to retire.
We are looking for gas, class A. Price range about $100
This vacation we have seen a lot new and used. Young used are still expensive, we are not looking for 10 year used to avoid the little by little problems. So we consider new.
My mechanical abilities are almost none.
If retired we (non US citizens) can stay 6 months max a year. We are planning to do that. Part enjoy the nice southern winters part travel to beautiful destinations.
We expect no one to come over. Except maybe sometimes our daughters (with spouse).
Hans

What we have seen and like now is for exemple the HR Vacationer 36
Old 05-15-2015, 10:42 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Welcome to a Fun Lifestyle!

We have a 2015 Itasca Meridian 36M and we love it! There's just the two of us and we both are retired. We try to travel usually once a month. Itasca is built by Winnebago who IOHO builds a quality unit and are moderately priced. We are very pleased with the quality, features and our dealer's customer support. We recommend you write down your list of "Must Haves" and "Nice to Have". These lists will help narrow your list of manufactures who offer your "Must Haves.". Our "Must Haves" were a full-wall slide, diesel, electric FP, table and chairs (not dinette booth), seating across from each other (not along the same wall) and W/D so that narrowed our list of manufactures and floor plans. We decided on new because we could buy it for less than a used or previous year with at 28% discount from our dealer. We are verrrry happy RVers!!! Good luck in your search and happy and safe travels.
austx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 10:49 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
It would help those responding if you'd give a little more information.
1. Do you have a price in mind? A range of what you'd spend will also help.
2. Do you was a gas or diesel? OP states he's looking for a gas unit.
3. Are you wanting new or used?
4. What are your mechanical abilities?
5. Do you do a lot of your own home repairs? Because you will have a home on wheels which will require a lot of fixing even if it's just little stuff.
6. Do you understand engines and do some of your own car/truck service and maintenance?
7. Do you have any working knowledge of electrical trouble shooting either with 120 VAC or 12 V automotive batteries.

8. What are your plans for your coach? Will you travel full time or just on weekends? Are you both retired so your plans may be to travel year round?

9. Will you be taking others with you like grand kids, animals etc.

With MH's one size does not fit all. It really depends on what you intend to do with the coach.

We have a 2014 Winnebago Vista 30T and we love it. There's just the two of us with a cat and a dog. We are both retired. We won't full time. So we will travel when we can. WBGO builds a quality unit and are moderately priced. They have good customer support. But that's just my opinion.

TeJay
We've had two Dutch Stars but they were both DP's. The gas units are built on the same assembly line with a lot of the same materials and appliances as the DP's.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 12:14 PM   #7

Thanks for all your comments.
Still my question stays, what is high end and what average for GAS A-class.
Coachmen (Mirada)
Fleetwood (Bounder, Southwind)
Forest River (Georgetown)
Holiday Rambler (Vacationer)
Newmar (Bay Star, Canyon Star)
Tiffin (Allegro, Allegro Red)
Thor (Hurricane, Challenger)
Winnebago (Adventurer, Vista)
Old 05-16-2015, 12:41 PM   #8

hi Hans.... We have the winnebago Vista 26he Very happy with the overall performance, seeing as they use the 362 hp Ford V10 engine on much larger coaches, the Vista is pretty sprightly...BUT...living with the unit we could tell that is was built to a certain price range and we have done small modifications to make us happy when on the road...For the money though, it is a very good unit..turns on a dime and you can park it anywhere..and was a major step up for us from our 2005 class b...I only have 21000 miles on it and it has been 100%...it fits our lifestyle very well...you need to take time to look see and drive them and decide for yourself.....good luck....
Reniram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 01:18 PM   #9

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans B View Post
Thanks for all your comments.
Still my question stays, what is high end and what average for GAS A-class.
Coachmen (Mirada)
Fleetwood (Bounder, Southwind)
Forest River (Georgetown)
Holiday Rambler (Vacationer)
Newmar (Bay Star, Canyon Star)
Tiffin (Allegro, Allegro Red)
Thor (Hurricane, Challenger)
Winnebago (Adventurer, Vista)
For a better gas model, many would agree on Nemar, Tiffin and Winnebago in that order.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 04:13 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
For a better gas model, many would agree on Nemar, Tiffin and Winnebago in that order.
FYI -- Tiffin RED is Rear End Diesel.

Use your "Must Have" list to research your above list. We were set on a Tiffin but it didn't have a full-wall slide so we went with Itasca.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by austx View Post
FYI -- Tiffin RED is Rear End Diesel.

Use your "Must Have" list to research your above list. We were set on a Tiffin but it didn't have a full-wall slide so we went with Itasca.
And many like me, wouldn't want a full wall slide. Think about what a huge hole that is in the structure with no support and the slides themselves can be troublesome enough without having one that size. Adjustments and binding alone after some years of over the road use, would be a concern for me and would rather have four smaller slides, if I thought I needed the ballroom effect.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:19 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
And many like me, wouldn't want a full wall slide. Think about what a huge hole that is in the structure with no support and the slides themselves can be troublesome enough without having one that size. Adjustments and binding alone after some years of over the road use, would be a concern for me and would rather have four smaller slides, if I thought I needed the ballroom effect.
Sorry you missed the point of my post. This post was about the importance of using your "Must Have" lists to help you narrow your list of manufactures and models and NOT about having a full-wall slide. -- Kay
Old 05-17-2015, 07:26 AM   #13

Really didn't miss the point.
Just thought I'd throw IMO for others that might consider adding this feature to their must have list and most sure some readers have already given it some thought.
Old 05-17-2015, 06:30 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Hans,
High end is:
Newmar, Tiffin, Winnebago. Gas or diesel.
My only problem with any of these is Winnebago has always had a problem with not putting enough clear coat paint on their coaches. If stored outside the paint starts to degrade in about 5 years. I've owned 2 Winnebagos in the last 20 years.

On a scale of 1 to 10. 1 being highest quality and 10 being the lowest.
7. Coachmen (Mirada)
5. Fleetwood (Bounder, Southwind)
6. Forest River (Georgetown)
4. Holiday Rambler (Vacationer)
1. Newmar (Bay Star, Canyon Star)
2. Tiffin (Allegro, Allegro Red)
8. Thor (Hurricane, Challenger)
3. Winnebago (Adventurer, Vista)
IMHO.
If buying new I would purchase an entry level diesel like the Allegro Red. Each manufacture has an entry level diesel and the price is not that much more than a gas coach. Much better ride and quieter. The price of diesel is not as volatile as gasoline. For instance: Our Gas prices have jumped around .80 in the last month and diesel has only increased .10 to .20 per gallon. That's .21 per ltr gas increase and .0006 to .052 increase per ltr for diesel. California right now has the highest fuel prices in the country. Gas is around a $1.00 per litre ($3.79gal) and diesel is .87 per litre ($3.10gal) average.
Good luck and have fun shopping.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote