Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2014, 05:05 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
I started with a gasser - the Chevy workhorse with a 454. Great engine, hauled my towed with ease except on the steepest, longest hills. But it only got 4 mpg doing it. My Monaco has the Cummins ISC pre-def engine with 330 hp, 900 ft-lbs torque, and it will go all day up and down hills at 7.5 mpg. I have come across some slower travels in the rocky mountains, but no worse than many other big rigs that I share the slow lane with. Find the rig that can handle your towed, and buy for the floorplan.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2014, 07:12 PM   #30

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
My personal experience is my rev with a cat c-9 400 hp will pull the same vehicle in 3rd that a previous v10 flat out in first up a mountain. So yes more torque and hp is better.
Right, and my CAT C-12 will climb that same mountain in 4th without raising a sweat. 1550 lb-ft of torque and 425 HP; drives like a sports car (almost)!

I agree no one needs this much HP or torque, but it sure is fun to have.

docj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:40 PM   #31

I have driven only DP and only 1200 miles of it for past couple of days. I wouldn't want any less power, I am not saying that from having excess of power, but I wouldn't want any less to do what it is supposed to do. It kept up with traffic, both from stand still as well as on the highway when it needed to go fast.

2003 Cummins ISL with 21000 miles on it when I picked her up. Averaged about 7.4 MPG from TX to SC according to Scangauge D. It seems to do better in the EC where there is small hills rather than complete flat of the Midwest.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:38 PM   #32

Freightliner Owners Club
My two cents. You may not have to rent a rig to test the towing and ride capacities but you will have to do some home work to verify towing capacities, hitch ratings and the loading capacities of each different rig and chassis and engine configuration. An example - you mentioned the Sportscoach Cross Country 385. Ours came with a 7500 lb hitch but the coach had a 5000 lb towing capacity based on the GVWR. We weighed the rig after it was loaded it for our seasonal trip to Florida and found that we had a leeway of about 1900 lbs. It should be noted that we were carrying many items that we will never ever move again and probably at a loaded weight that will never be duplicated. As such, the calculated towing capacity is 6900 lbs which remained within the hitch and GCWR capacities. Since we tow a Saturn Vue the weights were never a factor but gave us a level of comfort knowing we had the extra capacity. With our Cummins ISB 340 hp diesel, we never experienced any situations where we couldn't keep up with or pass trucks or other motor homes during ort trip from Michigan to California and never went slower than 45 mph on 6% - 7% grades. Our overall mpg was slightly over 10.

I would recommend you keep investigating and asking questions as you narrow down your choices because one factor that will be important is also finding a floor plan that fits your needs. I would also suggest that you don't look at anything under 300hp but be careful as the hp increases as the mpg will decrease.
mvpmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:03 AM   #33

Good points so far. The post has scared my husband and now he's reluctant to even consider a gasser since Colorado is a possibility for us.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:06 AM   #34

So 2006, 500 hp?

Be read about emissions and power loss, couple that with my hubby's desire for a huge engine. I am pretty easy with floor plans, I can handle most of them. To stay in a comfortable budget over a less high end new one.

Am I getting closer?
Old 04-09-2014, 07:51 AM   #35

Oh, tag and aqua/hydro hot would be nice. So would 2 toilets
Old 04-09-2014, 08:10 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ie2special View Post
Oh, tag and aqua/hydro hot would be nice. So would 2 toilets
This is sold but it's got it all except it's the 400

http://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2007...-PLQ-111577316
Old 04-09-2014, 08:11 AM   #37

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
So 2006, 500 hp?

Be read about emissions and power loss, couple that with my hubby's desire for a huge engine. I am pretty easy with floor plans, I can handle most of them. To stay in a comfortable budget over a less high end new one.

Am I getting closer?
That's exactly what we did and got a floor plan we love (and we have the AquaHot). Our pre-emissions control DP is a great machine and takes the hills out west as if they weren't there. We climbed Cabbage Hill last fall "just for the fun of it" and never went below ~53 mph with no overheating issues. If you don't know where that is, look it up! One of the best tests in North America for any heavy vehicle.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:34 PM   #38

docj are you happy with your rig? I've seen a Saratoga near me and wasn't sure about them.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:53 PM   #39

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
docj are you happy with your rig? I've seen a Saratoga near me and wasn't sure about them.
We love our Beaver. I'm not sure what a Saratoga is? It's not the name of a Beaver model. Are you thinking of one of the Safari MH's, like the Serengeti? Beaver was part of Safari at the time our MH was built, but most of the Beavers were priced above the Safari's.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:01 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
We love our Beaver. I'm not sure what a Saratoga is? It's not the name of a Beaver model. Are you thinking of one of the Safari MH's, like the Serengeti? Beaver was part of Safari at the time our MH was built, but most of the Beavers were priced above the Safari's.
It is a Patriot Thunder, Quad Slide, I think that is the floorplan?? I am not sure

It has the 525 Cat. My husband is concerned about reliability.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:16 PM   #41

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
It is a Patriot Thunder, Quad Slide, I think that is the floorplan?? I am not sure

It has the 525 Cat. My husband is concerned about reliability.
You are correct, that is a specific floorplan in the ~2007 timeframe.

I can't make any statement about the reliability because that was a Monaco-made Beaver which shares very little with my coach. It was an expensive model when new, but, of course, price does not equal reliability.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:24 PM   #42

Quote:
It is a Patriot Thunder, Quad Slide, I think that is the floorplan?? I am not sure It has the 525 Cat. My husband is concerned about reliability.
I don't know much personally about the C13 Cat. It's a 13 liter very strong engine. The folks that have them seem to love them. Monaco built a quality coach.

Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, v10