Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-26-2012, 05:49 AM   #1
Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrock
Low Mile MH Advice

Howdy--looking into purchasing a low mile MH that is about 7 years old. Only 6K on it used sparingly. What will I need to do to it besides changing tires? Any other issues besides oil? Could the low miles damage engine etc. Thanks for your advice. Mrock

mrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2012, 06:40 AM   #2
mrock,I can't answer all your questions, but will share my experience of purchasing a low mile mh. 2010 went to FL and purchased a 05 newmar kountry star from private owner. 17,000 miles on it....took it for a drive because the guy had been living in it...on interstate about 10miles out, just quit running....it was the batteries...the cables had come loose (ie the grounds)...got that fixed, he paid. Had not a problem coming back to AR, but when I took it to be serviced, they pointed out that the 2 bdrm slide rubbers had deteriorated and that the top needed to be replaced on one of the slides. The steps quit working in a couple of months after purchase...under warranty so steps and the motor was replaced. (Service dealer said it was almost the same price to replace both than just the motor mechanism.) Now I have to replace the cruise...it just quit working going down the hwy. And now I got battery problems again (my fault for not charging regularly). But ya know, with anything including me, with age, things go wrong. It's even true with new stuff.... Engine setting up/damaged??? can't help there...haven't had any problems..but the guy I purchased it from did start the motor and gen regularly and about once a month he took it out for an hour or so, serviced it regularly (gave me all papers) and did so many upgrades, (still learning how to work everything.) Hope some of this helps. pjnbuddy

pjnbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:48 AM   #3
National RV Owners Club
I just purchased a 2006 with 4900 miles it depends on how it was taken care of Have a goog RV tech check it out as far as the engine I would not worry about it. If it is not moving it is not wearing.
2006 Dolphin 2 Puppies and a Wife
JoePut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:00 AM   #4
Ford Super Duty Owner
i would think annual service and maintaniance would be far more important on a low mileage unit, when i was younger and poorer i accumalated a lot of miles on some of myy cars ,i bought them new and rode them almost to their last rodeo ,my feeling was if they were running they would keep running. that philosiphy served me well.nothing is more important than regular (more often and lower miles) service
just liven life in east tn or where ever our
2011 georgetown ,2012 explorer and 02 tbird take us
tncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:27 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
How about low generator hours too? Generators last longer is frequently exercised, at lest monthly. But if the generator is still working ok on this one, that may be a moot issue.

Tires probably look like new, but they are seven years old (maybe even 8 - look at the date code on the sidewall) and nearing end of life regardless. Many of us don't want to risk driving on 7 year old tires, but some go to 8 or even 10. The age is even more important in a seldom-used tire, since tires like to be run to keep the rubber pliable and the chemicals in the rubber active. I would be be budgeting for new tires very soon!
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:47 PM   #6
I bought a 5 year old DP with 12K miles on it and drove it 850 miles home. Beings I didn't know what maintenance had been done I changed all the fluids and filters etc, brakes and axles were serviced. Two plus years later and now with 31K miles on it she still runs like a champ. Looking to buy 6 new tires after the first of the year and then burn some more fossel fuel. Good luck with your new MH.

Poptop is offline   Reply With Quote