Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2015, 12:01 PM   #1

Low voltage message

I have a 2011 Tiffin Phaeton. I'm getting a Low Voltage message when I first start up after sitting for a few days. I keep it plugged in to shore power when at home. Is this message referring to House Batteries or Chassis Batteries? I've checked the House Batteries with a Hydrometer and they check out OK. Any suggestions?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2015, 12:16 PM   #2

If your message is coming through; on the dashboard ? Then it's for the chassis batteries.
Many coaches , don't charge the chassis battery on shore power , and depending on the time involved between , engine starts ( 3+ weeks ?) the low volts may be due to normal system draws.
If the batteries are , older , could be time to have them load tested.
Many posts about adding a " trick-l-charge " to keep the chassis battery charged during long periods of non-start of the coach.

EDIT: on re-reading your post I see the problem occurs in days, if the chassis batteries are original to the coach , I suspect they are failing , time to have them tested, and a simple voltmeter test , while on shore power , will tell you if your coach is equipped to charge them while on shore power. Look for 13.2v or over at the batteries, if lower they are not being charged.

Old 05-17-2015, 04:57 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree with above All DASH messages have to do with CHASSIS systems

If you have an inverter flashing LOW VOLTAGE on its display that is a HOUSE system

NOTE: as Chassis batteries age.. Starting the engine may be enough to pull 'em down.. I had a car like that once.. When I first started the 2-way radios gave low voltage indications...I drove about 3 blocks and as I entered the Freeway it behaved normally...

Car finally died of a drug overdose... I pulled up to the red light and stopped (Well the stop line for the light) And so did the Drug Company shuttle truck.. Seriously overdosing my car with his truck... OUCH.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:38 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Could also be something as simple as dirty terminals on your chassis batteries.

If you have a Cummins motor could also be the grid heater. The grid heater will also cycle for minutes after the start, dependent on air temperature. If it is the grid heater you should be able to see it draw/cycle on the voltmeter. This draw may also trigger the low voltage message on the console.
Peterrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 01:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterrrr View Post
Could also be something as simple as dirty terminals on your chassis batteries.

If you have a Cummins motor could also be the grid heater. The grid heater will also cycle for minutes after the start, dependent on air temperature. If it is the grid heater you should be able to see it draw/cycle on the voltmeter. This draw may also trigger the low voltage message on the console.
I think this is the issue with my 2012 cummins fl chassis. With my level system it has a voltmeter and It will read good (13v), then low (11.5v), good, then low. Cycles around six times or so before the low bat alarm on dash goes away. Is this normal or weak batteries. Happens after the rv sits for a few days like the original post.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:25 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman-az View Post
I think this is the issue with my 2012 cummins fl chassis. With my level system it has a voltmeter and It will read good (13v), then low (11.5v), good, then low. Cycles around six times or so before the low bat alarm on dash goes away. Is this normal or weak batteries. Happens after the rv sits for a few days like the original post.
ZMAN-AZ, that is a very thought provoking/interesting question. Not sure that I would be the one qualified to answer, but I have observed the same and read about it. From my readings and observations , it is normal for the grid heater to cycle on and off after the engine start based on temperature.

Now, "normal or weak batteries?" is where I have a concern about answering. I have read where on a CAT the wait to start light will come back on and cycle on and off when its grid heater is working. I have read that other Cummins owners have to wait minutes (one up to 10 minutes) for the voltage to level off. Others have written that if they use the block heater before starting it does not occur. After the start the alternator is at work. So do all owners experience this thus making it normal, or is their another root cause for the low voltage message.

It would be interesting to see if any other members of this forum have experienced this and asked freightliner/mechanic about it, and what the response was?
Peterrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:41 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Is the weather cool when you are starting? Cummins uses a high current draw grid heater to warm the incomming air to the engine. This can cause a temporary low current alarm in some Powerglide chassis units. I suggest you visit the tiffinrvnetwork.com group and ask your questions there. Much more likely to get Tiffin specific responses to your question.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 10:45 AM   #8

The low voltage alarm as a reaction to the cycle of the intake manifold grid heater ; that both Cummins and Cat use ; is entirely ambient temperature dependent. The temp at the intake manifold temp sensor has to be below approx. 50f, which can be a result of the coach sitting in temps in the 30s overnight , even if the daytime temps have come up into the 50s. Takes a long time to warm all that cast iron up.

Early Dodge/Cummins , would cycle the heater , anytime the sensor saw the low temp in the intake ; on long down hills coasting, extended periods at idle in cold temps ; and seeing the volt gauge drop to the bottom of the scale surprised many owners. Now I believe the ECM looks at both intake manifold temp and coolant temp before cycling the heaters.

I guess we need more input from the OP, to see if the grid heater cycle is a possibility.
Old 05-18-2015, 12:08 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Check your Battery Minder....do you have one?
On my 2014 Phaeton, the battery minder is in the last PS rear basement compartment.
It has a in-line fuse in the chassis battery compartment.

As long as you have shore power, it should be charging your battery.
The fact that this happens after a few days also suggests your chassis batteries need the be replaced....Likely because of a bad Battery Minder.

I have also heard that the older battery minders would put a small current drain on the batteries when stored without shore power.

Dan
Old 05-20-2015, 12:09 AM   #10

FYI, i have a Winnebago 2014 on a 2013 chassis. My chassis batteries do get charged when on shore power. I do find it interesting about the below 50* comment. Being I am in AZ I don't have many of those days left until this fall (however this has been a very cold month in AZ). I will now be paying more attention to outdoor temp. In addition I do a lot of dry camping so it could be a combination of low temp and partially discharged batteries, I don't have any idea how much power my chasis uses while boon docking but I never had a issue with starting the engine. I have never used my engine heater.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:59 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What happened to the OP?
Some feedback would be nice

Dan
Old 05-20-2015, 09:09 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
What happened to the OP?
Some feedback would be nice

Dan

He hasn't been back to the forums since he posted, this question ; according to log in info.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:56 AM   #13

If the OP does come back to check, our 2011 Phaeton did the same thing. All it meant was that the alternator had not "kicked in" yet. Sometimes it would connect on it's own after a minute or so and other times I would just shut it off, recycle and then restart the engine. In our case, it did not mean the chassis batteries were low, but that it was not charging yet. When the air heater would kick in, the voltage would drop to 11.5, then back to 13.9 volts and that was also normal.