Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2015, 05:56 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Low Voltage Message

I have a 2015 Newmar with a Magnum Inverter. After being parked for a few days, the Inverter screen (which is always on even with the battery disconnect switch set to off) shows the batteries as Low Voltage= 10.4. All lights, etc are off, the RV is not connected to shore power so what would cause the batteries to drain so fast?

tyoneonit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2015, 06:16 PM   #2

The inverter is still drawing power, even on standby.

Old 08-31-2015, 11:11 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyoneonit View Post
so what would cause the batteries to drain so fast?
You answered your own question:

Quote:
parked for a few days ... the RV is not connected to shore power
Even if you turn switches off, there are still some parasitic loads that can drain the batteries. The inverter display being on is a good indicator that it is still drawing some power.

You say the battery disconnect switch is off: is this the "salesman" switch that is by usually by the door? If so, it turns off many loads, but there could still be a bunch that are on, like the refrigerator, propane and CO detectors, and similar critical loads. I suspect this is the case since the inverter is also apparently getting power.

Many coaches also have a battery disconnect switch near the batteries. This will usually turn off even more loads than the salesman switch (probably including the inverter) but there are sometimes still some loads that can draw power from the batteries.

Also, even with all cables disconnected, a layer of dirt on top of the battery can act as a conductive path and drain down a battery even, especially if that dirt is damp.

Finally, you could have a bad set of batteries that drain down quickly, even with a minimal load on them.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 12:57 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Is the refer turned off?
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 04:20 PM   #5

On our 2013 DS, I found that when I unplug from shore power, the inverter kicks in to power the refer. When I get home, if I just hit the battery disconnect switch, it turns off the lights, etc, but not the inverter. I have to turn that off with the Magnum interface panel.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:31 PM   #6

My Xantrex remote display screen timeout is adjustable, I set mine for 2 min. Obtain a clamp-on DC ammeter, place it around your negative battery cable, then begin shutting off breakers and writing down the reading after each is turned off. Now you have a map of your 12V system draw with nothing turned on. Begin with the largest draw, and trace down what is running on each circuit. Remember, the LP detector is hard-wired to the batteries and has no on/off switch, only a fuse that may be removed to disconnect power; some folks have installed a small toggle-switch to stop power during storage if the fuse is not easy to access.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 03:00 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks everyone for the replies. Yes, the fridge is turned off as well as the "salesman" switch and I figured the inverter was drawing a small supply of juice, but not enough to draw it down in a couple of days. Will try to find a setting to turn that off. Batteries are clean and new (coach built this year) so I doubt that is a problem (although we had several other new items on the coach give up and die in the first few months).

Appreciate the input and assistance. Will keep digging. As I said when I was sitting in the Newmar camp for a week getting warranty work completed, I'm starting to miss my tent...........
tyoneonit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 03:23 PM   #8

When I'm going to be parking mine w/o shore power for more than 3 days, then I simply disconnect the ground cables from the battery sets. Of course the refer needs to be empty.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 06:28 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyoneonit View Post
Batteries are clean and new (coach built this year) so I doubt that is a problem
I just determined last week thru some experimentation that I bought a bad battery 5 years ago. Even tho your batteries are new, have them load tested. If one is bad, it'll just suck the other(s) down too...
PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 01:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayItForwrd View Post
I just determined last week thru some experimentation that I bought a bad battery 5 years ago. Even tho your batteries are new, have them load tested. If one is bad, it'll just suck the other(s) down too...
I just went through that. I bought new batteries in June 2014. Last week the LP detector began sounding, I looked for the cause and finally discovered one battery was boiling. It had shorted out and ruined the all the others.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote