Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2012, 05:53 PM   #1

Low Voltage Warning on Silverleaf dash

I have a 1996 Monaco Signature Series 450Eplus Cummins with Allison Trans. The problem I am having is a intermittent Low Voltage Warning on my Silverleaf Dashboard. It will sit at 11.5 to 12 volts for miles (and I mean 150 miles) then gradually increase to 13.6 volts for miles. The Alternator system is a Hehr Power System 200 Amp Model 25. I have put a meter on the batteries and the Dash is accurate. When I run the generator while driving this does change the voltage at the dash since the inverter is taking over and charging the coach batteries and it seems to have some effect on the engine batteries. I think I am chasing a bad external regulator and or isolator in the charging system that is faulty. I have even changed the entire alternator to a brand new unit and everything remained exactly like the original alternator. I now have a spare,, LOL. The real weird thing is I never seem to have any problems driving at night with draining the batteries or starting. It always seems to charge just enough to keep everything happy but to me it just doesn't seem right. I just want to get to the bottom of it before it becomes a major problem sometime.

Any help appreciated.
joeplazek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2012, 08:28 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
I believe the Silverleave gets the voltage from the ECM,thats a small gauge,
long cable. What are the engine battery voltages when you stop at a wayside with the engine OFF and ON? Check all battery and ECM connections,check for good ground connections also.
Siggy
siggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:19 PM   #3

###### UPDATE########

After weeks of tracing wires and checking grounds, relays etc, I finally threw the towel and called Hehr Powerline in Texas. Rodney was excellent and a wealth of knowledge. He knew the system well and walked me through a few tests. Well,, the voltage regulator was suspect when I started and you know what,, that is what the problem was. The next surprise was the 10-130 Heher Regulator is extinct. Hehr informed me that the FORD 540HDX regulator is what the 10-130 was based on and it plugs right in. Charging 13.9 now at the dash and 14.5 at the batteries,, Have not run a trip yet but it really seems like we got it.

Thanks all!!!
Old 11-15-2012, 09:12 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Thank you for the UPDATE!
Siggy
siggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:56 AM   #5

Hate to see threads go dead,,,,, this is how we all learn!!

Tags
dash