Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2013, 09:43 AM   #1

Low water pressure...

So I have had this issue since new... low water pressure throughout the coach. This is either through the pump or city water inlet.

Even if I am showing 60 psi on my pressure regulator on city water, the shower barely sprays. This is also causing issue (I believe) with the Girard on demand hot water. Since there is not adequate pressure flowing through the hot water heater, the heater does not produce adequate hot water.

I don't know where to begin to look.. I am still under warranty, and I have an appointment schedule for Aug 3rd, problem is the dealer (not the dealer I purchased from, but the only dealer around me) is 5 hours away.

Here is what I have tried:

1. Removed the filter from the housing. (there is a red button on the filter top.. not sure what that does).

2. Dissasembled the shower hose to see if there is a reducer in-line. No joy.

If I can fix this with perhaps a valve that is in the wrong position or a kinked hose... it would eliminate the need to for the 5 hr trip!

Anyone have any ideas?
Keith M.

Maladjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2013, 09:53 AM   #2

The check valve in your city water inlet can be jammed or stuck.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:02 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Your problem is likely to be low flow volume rather than pressure. Not trying to nitpick, but sometimes that makes a difference in where to look for the problem.

First, are all the hot water faucets affected or just the shower? If other hot faucets work ok, then its just the line that feeds the shower. And if cold taps work ok, then you don't need to look at the city inlet or main water lines.

The heater may have a check valve at the inlet or outlet that is clogged - hard water often causes this sort of problem at the heater.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:06 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Remove the regulator and see if it makes a difference.
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:29 AM   #5

I built my regulator from Lowes. A regulator from wal-mart (the all brass) is restricted the flow also.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:40 AM   #6

Lots of guessing going on here but not much help--the fact that you experience low pressure whether you are on city water or on the pump suggests an internal restriction. Is there any outlet in/on the coach that has good pressure? Check valve in hot water system could be an issue if only hot side is impacted. Some coaches have a residential water distro system [eg a large manifold where you can isolate each faucet/outlet in the event of leaks]. If you have a manifold, you might start there, otherwise you will need to start at the pump or the city inlet and see where the pressure begins to fail. Without a single working outlet to compare/test against, this will be tough. Disconnecting individual pipes and rigging a test guage will be challenging.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:50 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Maladjusted,
This problem is very specific to your brand, year and model of coach. Consider posting the problem at Forest River Owners Forum - iRV2 Forums

This is the Coachman Owners forum on iRV2. Skill for Coachman coaches may best found in that forum.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:55 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had a similar problem

It was a clogged filter. But that can be the problem only if you have a whole coach filter installed.

So here's my dumb guesses:
  1. Does your home built regulator restrict flow? Easy enouogh to test.
  2. Do you use the hose washers with a built in screen? Those things are notorious for doing their job and getting clogged up. (and don't forget the one you built into the regulator!)
  3. I know it sounds dumb but check the aerator/filter on all of your faucets. If you hooked up to some really 'chunky' water it's possible that they might all clog up at about the same time.
Good luck!
Muddypaws
Old 07-09-2013, 11:22 AM   #9

Thanks Gary... I actually did cross post this over at the Forest River - Coachmen Motorized forum.

I use a Valterra water pressure regulator with gauge, but even without the guage the water coming out of the shower is dismal.

The cold water is slightly better, but I wouldn't call it acceptable either.

I can't see it being scale buildup at the Girard On-Demand.. as the Coach is only 5 months old.

Thanks all, for the suggestions... if I can't figure it out.. I'll drive it up to New Jersey for a visit to Dylan's.

Mal
Old 07-09-2013, 01:04 PM   #10

Is the water connection on a slide? The idea I have is that if the main water line in might be crimped because of a slide. I can stick my head in between the stove and living room slide and see most all the plumbing behind the bathroom. There was a crimp in the hose but it did not affect my flow of water yet. But the drain line from sink started leaking. So you have a whole house filter (inline)? Do you get good flow there? Has this been a problem from day one? Can you remove any panels around your wet bay outside ? My revolution has a valve in wet bay to direct water to coach or to fill water tank. But you will also get more cold water then hot water because of the water heater. I would believe if you never had good water flow it should be a crimped water line somewhere just before the first outlet.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:08 PM   #11

The water connection bay is beneath the full wall slide. There is no water on the slide (only the fridge).

I am going to attempt to pull the panel that has all the plumbing connections to see if I can find a valve that may be partially closed.

I have had this issue since day 1.

Mal
Old 07-09-2013, 01:19 PM   #12

Do you have a whole house filter?
Old 07-09-2013, 01:21 PM   #13

Yes... and I have removed the filter from the housing. There is a red button on top of the housing... not sure what that does.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:28 PM   #14

Can you turn water on and till if you have good volume with filter and cover off. Yes it will spray everywhere but should tell you if you have good volume to the first connection.

Tags
water