Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2016, 05:29 PM   #1

Lowering advice please....

We are on out maiden voyage and at Falls Lake State Park in NC. It's been raining all 3 days we've been here and the coach sank a bit into the wet ground. We do have pads under the leveling feet so it wasn't too bad. However, this morning I pushed the re-level button as we were tilted a little bit and now the wheels are off the ground.

My question is this:

When I hit the "retract" levelers button tomorrow morning the coach is going to drop like a rock on a suspension that does not have air in the bags and I'm not wanting to do any damage to anything.

Does anybody have advice on how I should lower the coach to prevent ruining any suspension components?
Manual lowering?
Fill suspension with air and lower?

Thanks in advance!

It's a 2015 Fleetwood Discovery DP

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2016, 05:37 PM   #2

I would start the coach and air up the bags before you raise the jacks.

That is my standard practice in all cases, but my chassis is a Spartan and quite a bit older than yours.

Hopefully only your front wheels are off the ground!!!

Good luck, as I am originally from Raleigh, how is the park?

Old 05-06-2016, 05:39 PM   #3

Thanks!
I thought that would be best too.

The is beautiful but the rain kept us from exploring it like we wanted. I would recommend a visit at some point.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueRVEd View Post
We are on out maiden voyage and at Falls Lake State Park in NC. It's been raining all 3 days we've been here and the coach sank a bit into the wet ground. We do have pads under the leveling feet so it wasn't too bad. However, this morning I pushed the re-level button as we were tilted a little bit and now the wheels are off the ground.

My question is this:

When I hit the "retract" levelers button tomorrow morning the coach is going to drop like a rock on a suspension that does not have air in the bags and I'm not wanting to do any damage to anything.

Does anybody have advice on how I should lower the coach to prevent ruining any suspension components?
Manual lowering?
Fill suspension with air and lower?

Thanks in advance!

It's a 2015 Fleetwood Discovery DP
SueRVEd,
First off, it depends on just how your coach/Chassis/Leveling system was built and, connected together. On many coaches, especially many with the HWH Computer controlled leveling systems, there is NO WAY TO JUST AIR UP THE BAGS, prior to releasing the jacks to retract. It's all done in one move.

Second, if your system is hydraulic, it will not DROP LIKE A ROCK. It takes quite a bit of pressure to push all that fluid back, through all the lines, bends, valves, solenoids, and into the reservoir. So, no matter how high you're presently setting, if and when you hit the button(s) on your leveling system to bring it back to road travel, those rams (jacks) are ALL trying to push that fluid back at one time. Your coach will not go down all that fast.

Your coach, and all its systems, were built primarily "idiot" proof, so-to-speak. That is, they (the coach manufacturer, the leveling system builder and more) have all the typical scenarios in mind, when they design their systems. So, they know EXACTLY what your coach will do if and when, you bring your wheels and tires completely OFF THE GROUND and then, hit the retract button.

If your coach were to DAMAGE anything, components, suspension parts etc. because it was lowered from too high of a leveling stand point, there would be dead coaches in campgrounds all over the U.S.

So, lower your coach as you would normally, you won't hurt a thing.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:03 PM   #5

Thanks Scott for that explanation.
It is hydraulic and it's computerized. It's labeled as a Power Gear model.
I'm not sure what HWH is but I like the "idiot proof" analogy and will work the system as I normally would then.

I can air up the system with a lever to the left of the steering wheel as it also allows me to dump the air just before I level the system, I don't think it automatically airs up when I hit the retract button though?

Anyhow, thank you for the reply and I'll let you all know how it goes in the morning. ��
Old 05-06-2016, 10:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Thanks Scott for that explanation.
It is hydraulic and it's computerized. It's labeled as a Power Gear model.
I'm not sure what HWH is but I like the "idiot proof" analogy and will work the system as I normally would then.

I can air up the system with a lever to the left of the steering wheel as it also allows me to dump the air just before I level the system, I don't think it automatically airs up when I hit the retract button though?

Anyhow, thank you for the reply and I'll let you all know how it goes in the morning. ��
Susan & Ed
My analogy was primarily directed at an HWH system. HWH is and was, a very large supplier of coach leveling and slide power systems. Power Gear has also been around for quite a while. We have the HWH 626 Computer Controlled Automatic Leveling System. On our control panel, I have the option of leveling the coach in a manual mode or an automatic mode. If I choose manual, I can dump the air, prior to lowering the jacks to level the coach.

In the automatic mode, it the HWH controls both the dumping of the air bags and, the extension of the jacks.

But, on the prep for getting under way, ours has no ability to fill the bags, prior to retracting the jacks, As stated earlier, it's all done at one time. When I push what's called the "Store" button on the panel, the jacks begin to retract and the bags begin to fill. Sure, the coach starts to lower due to loss of hydraulic pressure in all four jacks but, not at the speed that there would be damage to any component. Hope this helps some.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 10:53 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I just start the coach and let it air up..usually pulls the jacks up or almost up off the ground before I have to retract/stow them (mine drops quite a bit when the hwh dumps the air..looks like a low rider!).
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 08:09 PM   #8

I lowered the coach as I would have if the wheels were on the ground. Everything worked out perfectly and I guess I was a bit worried for no reason?
I watched it lower itself and it did go down rather gently....it was the initial release that jolts the downward motion that had me concerned.

Thanks for everyone's input!

P.S. We made it to Saint Augustine beach today and the coach is on a level concrete pad. 😀
Old 05-08-2016, 12:44 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I lowered the coach as I would have if the wheels were on the ground. Everything worked out perfectly and I guess I was a bit worried for no reason?
I watched it lower itself and it did go down rather gently....it was the initial release that jolts the downward motion that had me concerned.

Thanks for everyone's input!

P.S. We made it to Saint Augustine beach today and the coach is on a level concrete pad. 😀
If I am correct you will not see the drop like a rock syndrom which HWH units have a certain amount of. HWH opens up the valve on all of the jacks and they drop until they have all the weight off of the jack and then the springs pull it up. Power Gear systems are a different type of jack. They power up and down. Your jacks are under hydraulic pressure going up as well as down so I would imagine that it is more of a controlled descent than HWH.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 07:01 AM   #10

while mine is a LCI system, I've found that to eliminate any 'jumping and bumping' when lowering the coach, especially when well off the ground, I air up the bags FIRST, then, right before I hit the Retract button, I let a few seconds of air OUT of the bags - this gives the coach some 'flexiblility' to handle the sudden weight of the drop.

'14 FordFocus, KingTailgater2 DishHD, 200w/10a mobile SOLAR, 75,000+ miles
all continental US states, Alaska, and yes, most of Canada!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice