Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2010, 05:39 PM   #1

Lowwww rear end gear,

Hello, Any gear heads out there who could advise me? I have a 2004 Coachmen Mirada 30QB With a V10 on a F53 Chassi 16K GVW. Doing 65 mph my tach reads 2800 rpm. When Im doing 70 mph the tach reads 3000 rpm. I like to do 70 and I feel the engines working harder than it has to. It has a 530 rear gear. I know thats pretty low. At a light the thing is quick off the line but the penalty at highway speeds is engine wine and fuel consumption. I found a few different gear sets online and was wondering what would be best. 456, 430, 410 and probably some others. You should know I have a Harley in a 12 ft trailer behind me and someday my Jeep Wrangler. Thanks, Marcdohc

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2010, 05:46 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Changing the gear ratio will change the tow rating - going from your 5.30:1 gears to 4.10:1 will most likely mean that it'll take you a few miles to get your RV and toad up to your 70 mph cruising speed...

Why not just slow down and enjoy the voyage? there's a lot less stress involved when you slow down, and your mileage will go up a BUNCH!

Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:21 PM   #3

look into an auxilery (sp?) overdrive
Gear Vendors Under/Overdrive Motorhomes, RV's auxiliary transmissions.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:45 PM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to frederick w
On my 2000 Flair (3 speed with an overdrive, 454 chev) I'm
doing 2000 rpm at 60 miles per hour, flat ground. I shift
down to lower "D" when encountering hills depending how
steep they are.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:39 PM   #5

cant drive 55

Dont like to drive slow and speed seams to relax me. . I seam to enjoy the trip a little more when speeds are up. Anyway 410 would probably be too high but come on 456, 488 something would be better than 3K rpm doing 70 mph. Does anybody have another gear in their F-53?
Old 12-17-2010, 03:41 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

The Gear Vendors set-up mentioned above is just what you need - keep your rear axle as is and add an over/under drive to it. Best of both worlds.

The V10 is a high revving engine and that's not a problem with those 10 little pistons. The sweet spot where the torque and horsepower curves are both near their peak, is up around 3400 RPMs on that engine, so it isn't working hard at all. Especially since you are pulling a sizable trailer, so you need to be generating plenty of horsepower. I don't think you would want to go any lower ratio than 5.13 axle (the stock is 5.38).
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 05:19 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Marc, it would probably save you a bunch or heartburn to install that overdrive unit vice messing with a known good rear end. The chances of getting a new set of gears installed correctly without whining are about 50/50. It is a real problem finding somebody that will set them up correctly because it takes time to do it so if it is close they will let go. The other thing is the reason the gearing is a 5.30 is the diameter of the tires is big and it has to turn them. If you measure the diameter of your tires then you can go to this website and do some "what ifs" RICHMOND Street Performance Calculator
or
MOTOR - A Rear Axle Calculator

If your gearing is changed so that you get on the backside of the torque curve your gas milage will really suffer and you may have a hard time pulling up a steep grade. An overdrive unit will give you the best of both worlds.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 06:16 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
marcdohc... let me know where and when you are on the road so I am not. You might like speed, but being out of control is not something I want to see blasting up behind me. Slow down ...smell the coffee or roses. Divert the heart attack that has your name on it...
WeBeGone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 05:54 PM   #9

I had asked if there was any gear heads who would have advise on a mechanical concern. Ya I get some good insight, but whats with this slowdown advise. Like somehow I need your advise on how to handle my rig. Truth is your speed of 20 mph less than the rest of the vehicles on the road is more dangerous than me keeping up with them. By the way you might want to invest in a rear track bar. It will help as I pass bye.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:38 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcdohc View Post
Like somehow I need your advise on how to handle my rig. Truth is your speed of 20 mph less than the rest of the vehicles on the road is more dangerous than me keeping up with them. By the way you might want to invest in a rear track bar. It will help as I pass bye.
You are absolutely right. You don't need anyone's advice on how to drive your rig. One request though.

Just please stay in the fast lane as you pass me and try to keep up with the other vehicles that are 1/4 to 1/5th of your GVW. Try to crash away from the slow lane.
jackrobinryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 06:42 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

OK, folks, let's keep the tempers cool and the remarks directed at the original question.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:02 PM   #12

gearing

I went thru this same delima a few yrs back with a class C I had. I finally bought the Gearvendors overdrive unit($2600) and had it installed on the tail end of my C6 transmission when I had the transmission overhauled($1000) @ 140k miles. I sold the MH shortly thereafter, so I can't tell you if it helped gas mileage. It didn't have a tach, but it certainly lower the rpm and made the cab a whole bunch quieter. This 1988 class c had a FI 460 Ford, C6 tranny, weighed 12k, I never towed, and it avg 7mpg. After the Gearvendors unit was installed I was hopin to get 8mpg.
I hope this helps.
Don
Old 12-20-2010, 07:32 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Did someone call for a gearhead?
Mine runs about the same rpm's, it's just where that V10 likes to be.

I put an ultrapower tune in it, that helped a lot with added torque, as well as taming the EOD transmissions tendency to hunt between 3rd and 4rth gear. Call Jon at Brazels about that.

I like the gear vendor idea a lot, but won't put that kinda coin into this coach.