Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2011, 10:10 AM   #1
wtr

lp consumption on ONAN 6500LP generator

I just got a 99 fleetwood discovery and it has the onan 6500 lp generator. I was wondering how much lp this thing should use per hour. The salesman told me the generator should run for a couple of days. The first time out with the rv I ran the generator for a total of 24 hours and it used 15 gallons of lp. Is this right? Thank You for any help.
wtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2011, 11:58 AM   #2

There should be a chart in the owner's manual that tells you how much it uses at idle, half or full load. My Generac 4500 used .75 gallon at idle and I think it was 1.25 gallons at full load per hour. After I got my Yamaha i2000, I cut my propane use by 75%.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:34 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

That sounds like the right ball park if you had air conditioners running. Propane consumption depends on the load on the generator (watts it has to put out), but a LP genset the size of yours typically uses about 0.6 gal/hr at 50% load, meaning 3250 watts. 15 gallons divided by 0.6 equals 25 hours of run time assuming a constant 50% loading.

Your generator manual should have the estimate numbers for your genset, but most mid-sized Onan LP gensets are 0.6 gal/hr @ 50% load.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:46 PM   #4
wtr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
There should be a chart in the owner's manual that tells you how much it uses at idle, half or full load. My Generac 4500 used .75 gallon at idle and I think it was 1.25 gallons at full load per hour. After I got my Yamaha i2000, I cut my propane use by 75%.
So u used the small generator and started the big one only when u needed it.
wtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:57 PM   #5

The only time I needed the onboard generator was for the microwave and air compressor. Ran the i2000 to replenish what the heater depleted from the batteries at night and depending on how much sun my solar panels got during the day, I might run it in the evening for an hour or so. Rarely needed the AC as we camp during the winter months.

I didn't have to recharge the batteries as often after I converted to LED lights. A 1156 will draw over 1 amp and an LED will draw .1 amp.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:11 PM   #6

I must add that the above info was for the Generac that was in my 5er. My friend says his Honda 2000 will run the microwave in his MH. I will find out in a couple of weeks if my Yamaha 2000 will run the microwave on my MH.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:36 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtr View Post
I just got a 99 fleetwood discovery and it has the onan 6500 lp generator. I was wondering how much lp this thing should use per hour. The salesman told me the generator should run for a couple of days. The first time out with the rv I ran the generator for a total of 24 hours and it used 15 gallons of lp. Is this right? Thank You for any help.
We have the same generator. Your LP consumption sounds about right. The manual states rated consumption, I believe at full load it is about 1 1/2 gallons per hour. However, it is really hard to know how much load is on your generator. I assume that it averages out about 1/2 load, because the generator seems to consume about 3/4 gallon/hr on average.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, onan