Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2012, 11:15 AM   #1

LP from my MH to my grill

I have a quick disconnect built into my mh designed to allow me to run my grill using LP from the coach. I have a Coleman road trip grill with a pressure regulator built into the line. Any ideas on how I can use this grill this way? The hook up on the coach is in the low pressure side of the tank.
Cazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2012, 11:34 AM   #2

Carolina Campers
Check an rv supply store for an extension hose.
rocknrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:44 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cazon View Post
I have a quick disconnect built into my mh designed to allow me to run my grill using LP from the coach. I have a Coleman road trip grill with a pressure regulator built into the line. Any ideas on how I can use this grill this way? The hook up on the coach is in the low pressure side of the tank.
We too have a Coleman Road Trip LXE, and eventually gave up trying to connect it to the coach. Our coach (2012 Discovery 36J) LP outlet is low pressure, the Coleman requires high pressure pressure because it too has a pressure regulator. The conversion hose/connection would run about $135 according to our local LP folks. We decided we could buy lots of canisters for that price.

There are several related discussions ongoing in IRV2 - here are two of them:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/flee...se-114070.html

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/atta...nk-118249.html

After we purchased the Coleman Road Trip LXE, we found that there are two kinds of BBQ grills - high and low pressure. If you have the Coleman Road Trip LXE, it requires high pressure to the BBQ inlet where a screw-on canister is mounted, or low pressure if you remove the pressure regulator that is built into the Coleman.

The safer situation - in my opinion - is to have a low pressure hose connected to the Coleman BBQ (as it seems Fleetwood intended), rather than have high pressure hose with attendant potential safety hazards. And for that, you need a conversion connector that goes from a standard LP hose to the non-standard Coleman LP inlet once the Coleman pressure regulator has been removed.

Others will jump in, and hopefully will have an answer to your (and my) question that helps. And, if someone has a link to a simple conversion/connector for the Coleman Road Trip LXE that works for this situation, I'll buy one too!

Had we known, we would have purchased a different BBQ grill - but my DW loves the Coleman since it's RED, and we had to buy that first before checking on the connections. Frustrating situation.
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:51 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I'm in the same situation, my extension is low pressure (down stream form the coach's propane regulator). THe salesman at CW told me this was all but impossible, said he had never heard of a coach with the extension on the low pressure side, good to know I'm not alone.

I looked at having a Y or T installed in line before the coach's regulator but that puts the connection on the road side, unless I run a new line form the Y or T to the curb side where it really needs to be for convenience.

Also tried removing the regulator from a grill and replacing it with QD, never reached temperature. I don't know if flow was wrong or if it was the length of the run to the grill.

Still looking for a grill that will run from my low pressure connection. Would like to find a workable solution for the Coleman series.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:57 PM   #5

I just removed the regulator from my propane grill.
RetiredBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:35 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredBob View Post
I just removed the regulator from my propane grill.
If I may ask, what kind of grill is it, and how did you connect the hose to the grill once the regulator was removed? That's the problem we have with the Coleman Road Trip LXE.
Old 05-26-2012, 03:57 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
We have a 'Road Trip' as well. DW and I have talked about hooking into coach tank, but she brought up a point (she's the smart one )....... What happens if we want to take the grill further away from the coach or to the front or back depending on campsite? She wasn't keen on the idea of me and a 50' rubberized LP gas line in the same vicinity. We did buy the connecting hose to hook to a 25 lb cylinder if using it at S&B.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:05 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Would I be correct in assuming you folks with only low pressure grill hoses can't use an Extend-A -Stay for some reason?
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:19 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
Would I be correct in assuming you folks with only low pressure grill hoses can't use an Extend-A -Stay for some reason?
Yup - there is. The problem is that the propane connection on the Coleman grill looks like this:

When you remove the regulator (pictured above) from the grill, you need a comparable connection to the grill (the brass fitting at the bottom of the picture). Extend-A-Stay doesn't provide that, unfortunately. If anyone knows of a connector that will do that, we'd all love to know!

Could be a business opportunity for someone!
Old 05-26-2012, 05:34 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Very weird. Seems funny Coleman would use a non-standard fitting on a camping grill, so you can't even use 1 lb bottles?
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagosajoe View Post
Yup - there is. The problem is that the propane connection on the Coleman grill looks like this:

When you remove the regulator (pictured above) from the grill, you need a comparable connection to the grill (the brass fitting at the bottom of the picture). Extend-A-Stay doesn't provide that, unfortunately. If anyone knows of a connector that will do that, we'd all love to know!

Could be a business opportunity for someone!
That shiny tube, where it screws into the regulator, most likely has standard pipe threads on it. All you need to do is unscrew it from the regulator, then use a quick disconnect that matches ones on either end of the rubber hose you're using.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:26 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
Very weird. Seems funny Coleman would use a non-standard fitting on a camping grill, so you can't even use 1 lb bottles?
The 1# bottle screws into the bottom of the regulator (top right in the picture). Confusilating....and that's why we Road Trip owners are a tad frustrated.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:28 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
That shiny tube, where it screws into the regulator, most likely has standard pipe threads on it. All you need to do is unscrew it from the regulator, then use a quick disconnect that matches ones on either end of the rubber hose you're using.
Excellent idea - but you have to have an adapter that goes from the shiny tube threads (probably a standard thread) to a standard LP quick disconnect. THAT is the part we'd all like to find.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:53 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to stearn
I think you can buy a connection that goes on before the regulator on your MH tank. My hose then connects from the tank to the regulator on the grill. I now have the Webber Q . This is the second grill I have used this way.

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote