Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2007, 06:51 PM   #1

I am new to the motorhoming game and probably will continue to have some silly questions...

But bear with me

Is it ok to run the lp gas valve open while on the road so the fridge stays cool?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2007, 06:51 PM   #2

I am new to the motorhoming game and probably will continue to have some silly questions...

But bear with me

Is it ok to run the lp gas valve open while on the road so the fridge stays cool?

Old 07-05-2007, 07:09 PM   #3

Yes, I imagine that most of us do it. A vocal few will adamantly deny it for safety reasons, and many will caution you to turn it off when filling the gas tank. Depending on where your fridge (and its pilot light) is located in relation to your gas cap, that might be prudent advice.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:09 PM   #4

thanks for the quick reply!
thats pretty much what I'd gathered. Ill check the proximity of the pilot light to the gas tank (and will shut it off while refueling) and determine my priority.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:11 PM   #5

just a quick new question regarding the last question...

Does anyone on the forum "Know of anyone personally who has had an actual problem doing this?"

sorry if that is too forward, but that is often how I am.

Thanks for the honest answers.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:12 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have been RVing for 25 years now and use the propane when on the road. Think about it...there are trucks that operate on propane of CNG and some motorhomes have generators that run on propane. Be kind of hard to keep them running with the tank shut off.

From a safety aspect when fueling, it is not much of a problem, but you still need to shut all sparking devices like the ignitors on the water heater, frig and furnace. Actually gasoline fumes are heavier than air and hug the ground. All of the propane users are at least 2 feet or more off of the ground. Somethings that people have absolutely no concern about are even closer to the ground and the fumes. The starter on an engine is a really great sparking device as are the door light switches. The starter is in an enclosed housing, but it is not vapor proof or explosion proof, so the gasoline fumes can easily permeate the housing and get to the windings and armature.

I have heard lots of urban myths of RVs blowing up a station, but never had anyone substantiate the story. The 20 plus gallon sheet metal gasoline tank of gasoline is more of a potential for an explosion than a UL listed or ASME approved tank.

If a line from a propane tank ruptures, the tanks ALL have a legally required excess flow valve which detects the sudden flow increase and shuts down the flow.

To get an explosion from a tank, it will have to have a catastrophic failure which releases all of the propane into a ignition source. The tanks are protected with a pressure relief device, so that if the tank is over-pressured such as near a flame or fire, the relief will blow and a stream of propane will escape. This stream can be ignited if there is an ignition source, but the flame will not travel back into the tank and make it explode. In order to get propane to burn, you have to have the fuel (propane), oxygen (it is in the air we breath) and an ignition source with a high enough temperature to ignite the mixture. If the mixture is too rich or too lean, it will not burn.

It is strictly up to you, but we have never had a refrigerator that would keep the food cold for a day on the road. I like my ice cream frozen and my wobbly pop cold, so I run it. Some things are worth worrying about, some things are not.

See you are a fairly new member, welcome to the forum and hope you enjoy it.

Ken
Old 07-06-2007, 12:07 AM   #7

Thanks for the honest answer Texas Iceman. I just moved up to the NW from Texas, and I'm sorry for making you trade me climates hope you make it through all the flooding and non-stop rain.

soon enough you will be missing the rain in the nonstop, nonshaded, texas summer.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:56 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Being in Houston, we are used to fairly high rain fall amounts just not so long and so much. It is not so uncommon for us to get 4" of rain or more in one day. The all time record rain fall is just a bit south of here in Clute, Texas. Tropical Storm Claudette dropped over 42" of rain in a 24 hour period. We have been through several storms with over 15" in a day.

We are about 40% ahead of our normal for this time of year, Lubbock is over 100% above normal.

Understand the the SE and west need some of this water....we'd only too happy to share.

Ken