Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2007, 06:27 AM   #1

still learning the ins and outs of owning a rv...my '92 southwind still has the original lp tank. is there a regulation that the tank has to be replaced after so long, i have been told that i should replace tank by one person and that i just had to replace the valve by another. can anyone clear this up for me

thanks
Keith

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2007, 06:27 AM   #2

still learning the ins and outs of owning a rv...my '92 southwind still has the original lp tank. is there a regulation that the tank has to be replaced after so long, i have been told that i should replace tank by one person and that i just had to replace the valve by another. can anyone clear this up for me

thanks
Keith

Old 03-28-2007, 07:53 AM   #3

Here is a link to a site that discusses the OPD valve replacement requirement and other good stuff on DOT vs ASME tanks.

The short version is that all tanks (with some exceptions) in use since 2002, need to now be fitted with an OPD valve.

Tanks are only certifed for an initial period of 10-15 years (depending on the state) and must them be re-certifed every 5 years after they reach their initial certification end date. The new date is stamped on the tank and is required to be evaluated whenever your lp tank is filled.

http://www.damouth.com/RVStuff/OPD.shtml
Old 03-28-2007, 08:03 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Keith,
Your tank comes under the regulations for horizontaly mounted tanks. Different from the vertical hand carry types. You do not have a recertification requirement and back in '92, should have had the proper valve installed. I definately would not worry about replacing anything. Are the folks who told you to replace the tank and/or valve certified propane techs or just friends? I just traded a '92 Pace Arrow last year and never had a problem filling propane.

Green lights and soft breezes
Old 03-28-2007, 08:05 AM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jagsonville:

thanks
Keith </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Keith,

I just went through this last year on my old coach. Inspection with pressure test by a licensed tech was all that was required here in Florida to get things recertified on my old 95 Vectra.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:56 AM   #6

thanks for the info guys...i am really glad that i have found this forum, to answer your question Roland it was my father in law who we got the rv from (i think he thought that the same regulations were in place as for the 20lb vertical tanks) that said that we should replace the tank. and a friend at work said to just rplace the valve. thanks again guys i will have the tank checked out next time i get it filled.

Keith
Old 03-30-2007, 05:47 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

As the others have said, ASME (horizontal, permanently installed) certified tanks do NOT have a periodic inspection requirement and already have the overfill protection valve (aka 80% valve) such as is now required in portable (DOT certified) tanks. There is no need for an inspection or test unless there are visible signs of deterioration, e.g. rust around the valves.

Some LP gas companies may decline to fill older tanks unless they test them first. That's their prerogative, since they are required to visually check each tank they fill and therefore accept some liability every time they fill a tank. I suspect that's why Neil V got his tested, since there is no Florida law requiring it. You could always go somewhere else if one place won't refill the tank, but it's your own safety that is at stake.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 02:32 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RV Roamer:
As the others have said, ASME (horizontal, permanently installed) certified tanks do NOT have a periodic inspection requirement and already have the overfill protection valve (aka 80% valve) such as is now required in portable (DOT certified) tanks. There is no need for an inspection or test unless there are visible signs of deterioration, e.g. rust around the valves.

Some LP gas companies may decline to fill older tanks unless they test them first. That's their prerogative, since they are required to visually check each tank they fill and therefore accept some liability every time they fill a tank. I suspect that's why Neil V got his tested, since there is no Florida law requiring it. You could always go somewhere else if one place won't refill the tank, but it's your own safety that is at stake. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually the dealer insisted on it as required by law. He would not let me take the coach until he had the LP tank and propane system inspected at his own expense first.

It could be a local regulation in Pinellas County. It didn't cost me anything and it wasn't going to hurt me to have a certified technician test and sign off on the entire propane system in the coach so I really didn't question it.

The first time I had the tank filled the owner of the propane station came out and verified that the entire system had been recently pressure tested and certified which only added weight to what the dealer had told me.

Saved me some greif and you know what they say, better safe then that other thing.
Old 03-31-2007, 04:22 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jagsonville:
still learning the ins and outs of owning a rv...my '92 southwind still has the original lp tank... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You might want to get an extend-a-stay or similar setup so that you can attach a BBQ tank. It is a big help for when you run out of LP or are in an area that doesn't have any LP fill stations (we have found a few) or the prices are just too high. We like to keep at least 1 swap out type BBQ tank. Currently, in the area we are in, it's cheaper ($5 less) to swap a BBQ tank out at Home Depot than it is to fill the same size tank at a fill station.