Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2007, 03:23 PM   #1

Probably been asked before, but is there a feasible way to switch to propane on an LP gas system?

-Nate

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2007, 03:23 PM   #2

Probably been asked before, but is there a feasible way to switch to propane on an LP gas system?

-Nate

Old 04-27-2007, 04:00 PM   #3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nathanfox83:

-Nate </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Nate,
Please clarify or expand your question. Since "propane" and LP gas are interchangeable terms for the same fuel, your question leaves me wondering what you are trying to accomplish... possibly others will have the same difficulty understanding the question. We'd love to help if we understood what you are trying to do.

2002 Thor Tahoe 23FBGL TT, 28'
Paul Heuvelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 04:00 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I believe they are same thing. At least around my area I don't see any difference.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 04:37 PM   #5

so, LP gas and propane are the same thing? Can I just pull up to one of those gas stations with the large tanks that say propane and fill up my rv? I was under the impression that Propane and Natural Gas were the same. How much is the going rate of Propane?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am out of fuel and no longer have hot showers
Old 04-27-2007, 04:57 PM   #6

alright, well you guys are awesome. Based on the initial reaction to my inquiry, I investigated a little more and found that the fitting that goes into the tank on my rv is the same as my propane powered BBQ. I just hooked up the bbq tank to the main feed for the system, disconnecting and turning off the onboard tank and now I have hot water and a working cooktop and oven...

Thanks so much. I was just afraid of blowing up or something. This is safe right
Old 04-27-2007, 04:58 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nathanfox83:
so, LP gas and propane are the same thing? Can I just pull up to one of those gas stations with the large tanks that say propane and fill up my rv? I was under the impression that Propane and Natural Gas were the same. How much is the going rate of Propane?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am out of fuel and no longer have hot showers </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Between $2.50 and $3.20 per gallon in the Tampa Bay area.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:05 PM   #8

ok, thanks
Old 04-27-2007, 05:48 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just for clarification, propane and natural gas are not the same thing. NG is mostly methane, with a fair amount of ethane, butane, propane, CO2, nitrogen, helium and some H2S. I do know that the orifices and feed pressure are different in propane and NG furnaces. Natural gas is de-propanized and de-butanized to lower the heating value to an acceptable valve before it is put into the pipeline...plus they can make more off of it by selling it in pieces.
Ken
Old 04-27-2007, 07:24 PM   #10

What no one has told you is that your RV operates on LP (Liquid Propane). The same gas that is in your BBQ tank. Adding a hookup that will allow you to run BBQ tanks or 100 Lb LP tanks is a good idea. Our permanet tank ran out last fall. Haven't refilled it yet since LP is high where we are at right now (S GA). Oddly enough we can swap out our BBQ size tanks at Home Depot for under $17 while it would cost $25 to refill the same tank at the local fueling station (conventiently located at the entrance of the most popular park in the area). No way we're going to refill the permanent tank here. We'll wait until we can find someplace a bit cheaper. Until then, we have 2 BBQ tanks that we run our Grill, and range off of. The water heater runs off of electric since we are connected to it (can also run on LP).
Old 04-28-2007, 03:37 AM   #11

A unit as old as You have may have to be checked or recertified I think this is every 10 years.A bigger fill and supply dealer as say America Gas or Fuel Gas can at cost do that.For Your safety and that of others have that done before You try to refill Your tank..And good luck and Happy Camping with Your Motor Home..Bushman
Old 04-28-2007, 12:11 PM   #12

Nate,

LPG = Liquid Propane Gas
LP gas = Liquid Propane Gas
Propane = Liquid Propane Gas

They are all the same thing, just different (shorter) ways of saying it. This is also what most BBQ grills uses.

Natural gas is not the same as LPG and can not be used interchangeably.

Yor really should take your rig to a Propane dealer, RV dealer or Camping World and have them check out and test your system. A small leak can be very deadly. Read that as a really big bang and a lot of hurt. Also when properly adjusted, your stove, furnance and water heater will work better and same you money on propane.
Old 04-28-2007, 02:51 PM   #13

thanks for all of the advice. The situation has been worked out. The tank that I have is 95 gallons. It was full when I bought the RV 5 months ago. I live in it and it has been working fine just until it ran out the other day. Really big boom would have happened already in my opinion. I'm a mechanic by trait, with plenty of handy man skills as well. I have been jumping into every system of this beast and although I may not have known that LP gas and Propane were the same. I do know plenty in the department of fixing things. Please don't take that the wrong way, just be assured that I am taking any and all precautions necessary.

-Nate
Old 04-28-2007, 05:54 PM   #14

thanks for all of the advice. The situation has been worked out. The tank that I have is 95 gallons. It was full when I bought the RV 5 months ago. I live in it and it has been working fine just until it ran out the other day. Really big boom would have happened already in my opinion. I'm a mechanic by trait, with plenty of handy man skills as well. I have been jumping into every system of this beast and although I may not have known that LP gas and Propane were the same. I do know plenty in the department of fixing things. Please don't take that the wrong way, just be assured that I am taking any and all precautions necessary.

-Nate </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nate,

Are you sure of that 95 gallons? That would be a 2 foot diameter by 5 1/2 foot long tank weighing about 300 pounds empty and over 1,000 pound when full.