Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2016, 08:39 PM   #1

LP gen to Vapor

Does anyone know what fittings I need to change my LP genny from hi pressure liquid to vapor?

I have a 96 Monaco Windsor.

Skip H
sjholt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2016, 09:10 PM   #2

What brand of gen set do you have?
I thought they all ran on vapor, or at least I should say every gas engine I converted to propane ran on vapor.
Old 06-12-2016, 09:16 PM   #3

I'm curious about this too; my Onan runs on liquid. Of course a call to Cummins/Onan would provide the answer if only I could remember to call.
Old 06-12-2016, 09:26 PM   #4

JMHO: If the gen set is set up to run on liquid , it'll take more than a few fittings to switch it to run on vapor. Must have it's own vaporizer and regulator some where.
Old 06-12-2016, 10:51 PM   #5

I downloaded an Onan gen set handbook ; it's to big to re-post here in the forums; anyway , page 19 in the Q&A section .

Q. How is LP fuel supplied to the generator .
Last line in the answer, states.

Cummins Onan generators use vapor with drawl.

What the text doesn't say is if the vapor is at tank pressure ( 125 PSI ) or taken off after the regulator.

Gentlemen , liquid propane can cause frostbite to exposed skin in less than a second , do not attempt to modify a propane system unless you know exactly what you're doing. Many areas won't allow you to purchase propane fittings without a gas fitters license.
Old 06-13-2016, 01:14 PM   #6

My rig has two outlets, one labeled "vapor" which runs the house propane and one labeled "liquid" which goes to the generator.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:01 PM   #7

Gees fellows,
If you don't know the answer- why say anything and I need Internet police like- well you know.
I know there is someone who converted there LP generator from liquid to vapor to prevent oil from getting into the carb evaporator and gumming up the works and stopping the generator as it is doing now..
I'll be changing this in a couple of days- by myself- and breaking all kinds of rules so If I don't post back- you'll know I blew up the motorhome!
sjholt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 07:10 PM   #8

Most LP engines draw from the liquid side and the vaporizer/regulator assembly turns it to, well, vapor. The oil (actually tar is the technical name) needs to be drained off periodically as part of the routine maintenance. Even after only 100 hours of use you'd be surprised at the amount that comes out of the drain on the vaporizer. Sometimes I have to remove the carburetor diaphragm and wipe that down as well.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:15 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I thought they were already vapor... my 1995 Monaco is vapor from the factory.
Safe-T-Plus
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 07:17 PM   #10

Never heard of a conversion like this (genset running on vapor). Would be interested in details when/if you find them.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:01 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

As can be seen from the responses, there are both types in use, vapor and liquid. Onans have used vapor for a long time, maybe forever. Some other brands use liquid. To make the conversion, you have to change components on the generator end as well as the plumbing into the tank. Basically it's a different type of "carburetor", though that's not the proper tech term for an LP gas engine. One handles liquid LP and evaporates it to mix with air, while the other is basically just a vapor mixer. Both have to manage pressure into the engine intake, though.

While propane is obviously dangerous in that it is flammable and under pressure, it is not really difficult to work with and I think sjholt will have no great difficulty with his project.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 12:33 PM   #12

Skip, as my somewhat limited propane Onan experience was pretty much opposite yours, I dug in and looked. Not hard, but I did find this.

Onan Generator Kits

If we had the OP's model number we could see what he has for sure, and what his options are. -Al