Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2016, 11:52 AM   #1

LP not running - where is my valve?!

Heyo, I have found a number of articles here and around with similar questions, however I am still having difficulty. here it goes

Fleetwood Discovery 1999 Diesel 38'. LP for appliances, diesel for genset.

The unit was purchased recently, from out of state. systems were checked by a dealer prior to sale, everything was registering good, including test for the lp system.

I tested the stove a few days ago, it lit for a few seconds and went out - seems like something is switched off. I have heard about the solenoid, however my detector at floor level has been reset (along with house batteries disconnect/reconnect multiple times since) and i still get a fast flashing green light saying gas is on, so I am thinking the solenoid is no issue.

attached is a picture of my tank. I have no shut off valve that is visible unless I am missing something, which i think I am - I am totally new to RVs.

sorry the image seems small for the text. (attachment shows up better than the image linked on photobucket)

picture shows, fill port, 'vapor valve' (the larger turn knob) I assume this is for releasing pressure as you fill it. and I see the solenoid, and one other tiny knob that also appears to release gas when opened. overall i guess i dont know what I'm looking at since my only experience has been the simple bbq tanks.

any guidance would be appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lp_1.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	246.0 KB
ID:	136868  
wallaceaj0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2016, 12:09 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallaceaj0 View Post
Heyo, I have found a number of articles here and around with similar questions, however I am still having difficulty. here it goes

Fleetwood Discovery 1999 Diesel 38'. LP for appliances, diesel for genset.

The unit was purchased recently, from out of state. systems were checked by a dealer prior to sale, everything was registering good, including test for the lp system.

I tested the stove a few days ago, it lit for a few seconds and went out - seems like something is switched off. I have heard about the solenoid, however my detector at floor level has been reset (along with house batteries disconnect/reconnect multiple times since) and i still get a fast flashing green light saying gas is on, so I am thinking the solenoid is no issue.
attached is a picture of my tank. I have no shut off valve that is visible unless I am missing something, which i think I am - I am totally new to RVs.

sorry the image seems small for the text. (attachment shows up better than the image linked on photobucket)
picture shows, fill port, 'vapor valve' (the larger turn knob) I assume this is for releasing pressure as you fill it. and I see the solenoid, and one other tiny knob that also appears to release gas when opened. overall i guess i dont know what I'm looking at since my only experience has been the simple bbq tanks.
any guidance would be appreciated!
wallaceaj0
There are two shut of valves "visible" in those pictures.
One is the 'vapor valve' (the larger turn knob)...the other is a 'solenoid gas valve', (on the far right in that pic).
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 12:12 PM   #3

I had the same prob last weekend. I tapped the valves a few times with a light hammer. It worked after awhile
Bootjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 12:26 PM   #4

I turned on the stove burners made sure the green light was on the gas sensor Had someone by the stove smelling for gas. I went outside and tapped both valves until they smelled gas. worked fine for the rest of the trip
Bootjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 12:38 PM   #5

thanks for replies, i can try tapping.

Am I supposed to open the vapor valve (Counter clockwise)? Will it stop releasing propane to the open air and begin sending the gas to the rig? So far it appears to only be a way to release pressure, so It is firmly turned clockwise.

I understand the solenoid valve is automatic and I can't control it, however since the detector is blinking green I assume this one is open and functioning proper.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:34 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
This may help with the valve terminology: Manchester Tank: RV Products

The small valve (outage valve) to the right of the yellow fill valve is only opened when filling the tank. Vents vapor or liquid if it reaches that point when filling.
The star shaped (vapor service) valve opens the flow from the tank to the regulator. It is normally off when filling the tank. (for safety) and opened to use the propane.
These tanks also have an excess flow valve (internal) that will shut propane flow off if there is a rapid flow of propane. This can happen when you open the fill valve quickly, or if you have released propane at the stove. Easily cured by closing the fill valve for a few minutes to allow pressure to stabilize and the slowly open the fill valve.

The grey 2 stage regulator has no adjustments or valve. The valve to the right of the regulator is controlled by the propane detector in your coach. It may not be working. I THINK the green light only indicates power is going to the valve not that propane is actually flowing thru it...

Hope this helps..
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 03:28 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Wallaceaj0, Hooligan pretty much described everything like it needs to be. The star shaped knob needs to be completely open for propane to pass to the regulator. I've attached a pic of my LP Gas Detector, yours may not be the same.
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3441.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	255.7 KB
ID:	136906
When my detector flashes green then I know I have propane in my lines. When I turn my detector on, all I hear is a clicking noise and it may take about 30 seconds before I get a flashing green light. If I am outside I can hear the solenoid click open as well. Sometimes it may take quite awhile to light anything as you have to purge the lines, I usually start with my stove burners. I can also hear the propane being passed through the burners.

Your gauge shows you have about 5/8 full so I'd think you are okay there unless your gauge is not working. You may also have a LP gauge on the inside as well.
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 04:48 PM   #8

solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
This may help with the valve terminology:
I THINK the green light only indicates power is going to the valve not that propane is actually flowing thru it...

Hope this helps..

Hey all thanks for the tips. SO turns out the issue was my hesitancy to turn the main valve labeled vapor. As has been stated, this turns out to be the correct valve. However, it appears to be failing because when it is turned partially (not fully open, not fully closed) it leaks. However in both full stop positions, there is no leak. I will have it attended to ASAP, however will run it as is for the weekend.

As hooligan stated, the green light shows the status is GOOD, however it still reads this way when the main valve is off, so it does not imply there is propane in the line. Fridge/stove/furnace are good to go! One last step I had to do after opening the valve 100% was reset the detector one more time to get it to flow.

Thanks folks!

cheers,
-Andy
Old 08-24-2016, 05:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallaceaj0 View Post
thanks for replies, i can try tapping.

Am I supposed to open the vapor valve (Counter clockwise)? Will it stop releasing propane to the open air and begin sending the gas to the rig? So far it appears to only be a way to release pressure, so It is firmly turned clockwise.

I understand the solenoid valve is automatic and I can't control it, however since the detector is blinking green I assume this one is open and functioning proper.
wallaceaj0
While the service valve, (aka: vapor valve), is being opened or closed it should not release propane into the air.
If yours does that's a repairable problem...(repair kits are available).
See: LP Gas Flow Control - Propane Tank Service Valves

However once the valve is closed completely, (turned all the way clockwise), OR completely open, (turned all the way counterclockwise), it will not release propane vapor into the air, (unless the valve itself is faulty).

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 08-24-2016, 10:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
wallaceaj0
While the service valve, (aka: vapor valve), is being opened or closed it should not release propane into the air.

However once the valve is closed completely, (turned all the way clockwise), OR completely open, (turned all the way counterclockwise), it will not release propane vapor into the air, (unless the valve itself is faulty).

Mel
'96 Safari
thanks Mel, it will be repaired once i use up the propane in the tank.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:11 AM   #11

Quote:
wallaceaj0

Mel
'96 Safari
And i might add, always close or open the valve completely. Don't leave it midway as there is more of a chance propane can leak from around the valve packing.

I'm not positive but there's a chance there is a packing nut that can be tightened a bit to stop the leaking. If so, the OP could try tightening it himself. It wouldn't take much, you just want to snug it down slightly to stop the escaping gas..
Old 08-24-2016, 12:31 PM   #12

Quote:
wallaceaj0
Mel
'96 Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
And i might add, always close or open the valve completely. Don't leave it midway as there is more of a chance propane can leak from around the valve packing.

I'm not positive but there's a chance there is a packing nut that can be tightened a bit to stop the leaking. If so, the OP could try tightening it himself. It wouldn't take much, you just want to snug it down slightly to stop the escaping gas..
Mudfrog
The packing under the packing nut is what the repair kit is for.... but you are correct... often simply "snugging down" the packing nut will fix the leak.
Mel
'96 Safari