Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2018, 08:23 PM   #1

LPG Fault Indicator Lit

Been having issues with my refrigerator and just noticed that the LPG Fault indicator is illuminated on my panel in the hallway. Which means the LPG ignition has a fault.

Any idea how to diagnose this issue.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2018, 09:07 PM   #2

What brand/model is fridge?

Are you running it just on propane?

Has it been running and this is new problem OR just trying it on propane for first time in a while?

Fault Light just means flame did NOT light off and PROVE it lit after 3 attempts.
IF fridge hasn't been operating on propane for a while then probably just needs propane flow established.
Light off stove top burners on HIGH to place demand on LP Regulator and get flow established then turn fridge OFF---wait 30 seconds then back ON and let it try to light off the propane flame

If fridge was working on propane and then quit.....flame proving (spark electrode returns a miiliamp signal generated by flame ionization to prove is lit) could have been lost....dirty burner/electrode not engulfed in flame, bad electrode wire, bad circuit board.
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 11:14 PM   #3

Pretty much just boondock so always use propane for our Dometic refrigerator. All I did was turn the 12 volt switch for the hot water heater off and back on and the LPG fault indicator went off. So, not the problem with the fridge. I checked both fuses as recommended by the refrigerator manual. I shut the refrigerator down for a night and started it back up with no improvement

I believe it is electrical because it was working fine until I experienced some sort of electrical loss and the generator shut down. The microwave displayed a message saying that power was lost and the fault light lit up on the Inverter remote panel so maybe an Inverter problem? .
Old 09-14-2018, 12:46 AM   #4

There are circuit breakers on the inverter that need to be tested , and if the roof A/C was on when the gen set quit , , the added load on the inverter, of the A/C may have taken out a large system fuse, between the battery bank and the inverter , like the one pictured below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Class T Fuse holder.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	218903  
Old 09-14-2018, 05:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogulite View Post
I believe it is electrical because it was working fine until I experienced some sort of electrical loss and the generator shut down. The microwave displayed a message saying that power was lost and the fault light lit up on the Inverter remote panel so maybe an Inverter problem? .
Of course it's electrical. Now you see why I and others posted what we did in your previous thread with all your battery, generator and fridge problems.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/day-...se-410420.html

Remember I discouraged you then at just throwing new batteries at the problem and thinking you'll be done?

We're trying to help you here.

Your coach is getting older now and stuff is beginning to happen. At some point. you are going to have to sit down and document all the electronics, batteries and appliances that you have and then get a hold of some of your wiring schematics and charging/converter systems so you can begin to understand how these things work and are interconnected. And how to take care of them properly.

BTW...on a side note—chipping off big chunks of ice in your fridge is not the proper or safe way to rid your fridge of ice build up but certainly could ruin it.

This gathering of information, studying and researching it over time, will give you at least a good working knowledge of exactly what you have and how all this stuff works together, troubleshoot and what proper steps, upgrades or replacements that will need to be done. This better understanding will also equip you not only—to detail and ask the right questions—but will give you the knowledge on how to check and troubleshoot and implement the things that are offered to you as advice...the right way.

Otherwise, I'm afraid you're just going to be chasing one problem after another. I'm not scolding you but trying to encourage you—again—to take the time to do what I and others have outlined before. I've seen so many other similar threads like this in the past and after reading your other threads, I know this is in your future....sooner or later.

I'll go away now and not comment any further.

Good luck my friend.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:32 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I'll reiterate what Old Biscuit aid:

Quote:
Fault Light just means flame did NOT light off and PROVE it lit after 3 attempts.

But if that is related to a fridge problem, it would be the fault light on the fridge itself, not on some other panel in the hallway. I suspect the fault lite you are seeing is for the water heater, not the fridge, but the meaning is still the same with respect to the water heater.

I will also disagree with the others re that particular item being "electrical". If that light comes on, the electric for that circuit is working, as is the electric for the heater control board and LP ignition. The fault light won't appear unless the heater gas ignition was attempted and failed. It can't do that without 12v power being present.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 09:36 AM   #7

Thanks Gary. I think you’re probably right. After I replaced my 7 year old batteries things have definitely improved. Generator fired right up and the batteries are holding their charge. The night before I replaced them the interior lighting was dim. Very bright now.

My thought was that maybe the inverter wasn’t supplying enough power to the refrigerator. But I think you’re right it’s either getting electrical or it’s not. I have an appointment set when I get home with a RV repair shop.

I have learned a great deal about my rig in the year and a half I have owned it. I’m a visual learner and dredging through mountains of literature is not going to help me.

Tags
cat