Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2017, 04:15 PM   #1

Lubricating Schwintek slide question

Simple question on this video -- maybe stupid question.

But do both top and bottom rails get lubed? The answer seems an obvious "Yes", but then .... well .... do they?

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2017, 04:24 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes Ed - on this style of rail and gibs both uppers and lowers get lubed per my discussions with Schwintek and the Winnebago Service Center. I use the recommended CRC w/PTFE (teflon); use the same on my jacks. Do note please that on the newer style (floating rail) there appears to be some confusion about lube or not - from both sources as above.
Old 04-30-2017, 05:49 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That was always confusing to me, too, as he does not lube the rails at all in the video.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv2Roam2 View Post
Yes Ed - on this style of rail and gibs both uppers and lowers get lubed per my discussions with Schwintek and the Winnebago Service Center. I use the recommended CRC w/PTFE (teflon); use the same on my jacks. Do note please that on the newer style (floating rail) there appears to be some confusion about lube or not - from both sources as above.
Thanks. There's obviously a gear on the lower rail, but since he didn't mention it I thought the coupler and gib may not be there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnut View Post
That was always confusing to me, too, as he does not lube the rails at all in the video.
I was confused about what to lube. I know the rails on mine came from the factory dry. Then when I found this video they show to lube the coupler and gib only -- nothing on the gear or slide.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:20 PM   #5

Thumbs down

???

Old 04-30-2017, 08:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
???

Careful. You could hurt hurt yourself like that.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:41 PM   #7

At least from watching the near worthless video I did learn that is the slide drive system that I have.
Old 05-01-2017, 04:39 AM   #8
WDW

What's the gib - actor on NCIS?
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 06:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
At least from watching the near worthless video I did learn that is the slide drive system that I have.
Yeah. I spent quite a while on YouTube trying to find one that applied to my system. I searched here and found the same video in a 3-year-old thread. I googled "schwintek lubrication" and found it again on other forums and some RV manufacturer sites. You'd think there would be all sorts of info out there.

My wife bought some slide lube at CW, but it's not that special stuff. I hope it's OK.

Hey, is all the popcorn gone?
Old 05-01-2017, 09:39 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A clarification - because I can be fairly accused of not being entirely clear.

On the older 'fixed track/rail system' the lube only goes on the the motor gear/gibs - not on the track. Keep the tracks clean so that debris doesn't get carried to the motor.

On the newer 'floating track/rail system' the lube only goes on the motor gears - if in fact we can get anybody to declare that's the right thing to do. In my survey of owners in campgrounds about half were told to lube - about half not. At the Winnebago Service Center two different techs contradicted each other. I lube (thinking that it makes common sense) and have not had any problems.

Sorry if I confused the issue ...
Old 05-01-2017, 10:19 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Yes
Sanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:31 PM   #12

We have a 2017 Thor 29.3 with a full length slide. As per Thor AND Schwintek, you do not lube the tracks. The motor gear gets lubed with a special lube from the factory, and should never need to be lubed again. I can see if you are in a high humidity or very dusty conditions to use some CRC on it.
Thor29.3inAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:52 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here's the info for the floating tracks system from power gear's (owned by Schwintech) website:

Preventative Maintenance
Your Power Gear slideout system has been designed to require very little maintenance. To ensure the long life of your slideout system, read and follow these few simple procedures:
• When the room is extended, visually inspect the slide rail assemblies. Check for excess build up of dirt or other foreign material; remove any debris items that may be present.
• If the system squeaks or makes any noises, blow out any debris from the gear rack arms and apply a dry lubricant to prevent and/or stop squeaking.
If you have any problems or questions, see the contact tab on our website at www.powergearus.com
Old 05-01-2017, 10:02 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Lubricating Schwintek slide question

I should have also said that my 2017 Adventurer uses the "floating" Power Gear slides from Schwintech. My 2013 Sunstar used the "fixed" Schwintech system (before they bought PowerGear).

Tags
cat, slide