Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2012, 03:19 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Lug nuts class A

Do we actually have to check the lug nuts on the class A tires?..On my fifth wheel I did with a tourque bar...same for a class A??

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2012, 07:43 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
It probably wouldn't hurt but very few of us have a way to measure 450 lbs. of torque. Maybe just a "breaking bar" where you could do 200-300 lbs. and determine if there were any loose?

H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:57 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jponyboyace
Do we actually have to check the lug nuts on the class A tires?..On my fifth wheel I did with a tourque bar...same for a class A??
I just checked my class A tires and I don't have any lug nuts on them.

I'm not sure under what conditions you are taking about. Generally speaking, once a wheel has been removed, replaced and torqued to specs, there should no reason to recheck.

I've had a few new cargo trailers and the mfg has always stated to check lugs, drive xx miles then check again. So I assume this was the same with your 5ers.? I've never heard of this being necessary with a car, truck or MH. So this must a towed trailer thing.....just an educated guess.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:36 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
I just checked my class A tires and I don't have any lug nuts on them.

I'm not sure under what conditions you are taking about. Generally speaking, once a wheel has been removed, replaced and torqued to specs, there should no reason to recheck.
Even Costco says to have your lug nut torque checked after 25 miles or so when they put new tires on.
ALL lugs should be checked after a few miles of driving. I traded a .45 pistol for a torque multiplier so I could check mine. Ours take 500 ft lbs, with the torque multiplier I have to put 152 ft lbs to get 500 ft lbs.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:58 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Even Costco says to have your lug nut torque checked after 25 miles or so when they put new tires on.
ALL lugs should be checked after a few miles of driving. ...
Agreed... after 20-30 miles and before the next trip. The reqason being is that when you tighten down the nut, you are stretching the stud. After a bit, the studs will 'take a set' and the nut could be looser than spec..
Old 04-06-2012, 10:01 PM   #6

Northern Tool sells a 3X torque multiplier kit for I believe slightly over a $100
Old 04-06-2012, 10:06 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Agreed... after 20-30 miles and before the next trip. The reason being is that when you tighten down the nut, you are stretching the stud. After a bit, the studs will 'take a set' and the nut could be looser than spec..
The stretching is also why you need top know whether to lube the threads or not!! If they don't take lube and you do lube them then torque to the given value you've actually overtorqued the bolt by 20-30% which can permanently stretch the stud. Ours take 500 ft lbs and it specifically says to lube them.
One the bolt/stud is overtorqued and stretched you probably will never get it to hold correctly as it's permanently deformed and just keeps stretching.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:09 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhauler View Post
Northern Tool sells a 3X torque multiplier kit for I believe slightly over a $100
The one I traded for is a Snap On brand that sells for over $600 new. Way more than I'll ever need and no way will I wear it out.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:32 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
I've never rechecked lugs on any RV, SUV and vehicle (including a few airplanes) I've ever owned. Never had a tire come off or fine that I had fewer lugs that I started with. This seems to be one of those things that I think are completely unnecessary.

I guess I'm on borrowed time.
2006 Allure 430 #31437 (Cummins 400HP Engine), 2000 Tahoe Z71 Toad, Sanger V210 Ski Boat. Lifetime Good Sam Member, Lifetime NRA Member, US Army Vet
dean0283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:43 AM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean0283 View Post
Probably!
Old 04-07-2012, 02:36 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Talking

Mr. D

I just looked out the front door and there was the ole' Grim Reaper, with a lug wrench in his nasty old paws. Being an old hard headed sky soldier, I just told to hit the the road in his non lug nut tested rig and off he went. I think I'm safe for the time beinghttp://www.irv2.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

Dean
2006 Allure 430 #31437 (Cummins 400HP Engine), 2000 Tahoe Z71 Toad, Sanger V210 Ski Boat. Lifetime Good Sam Member, Lifetime NRA Member, US Army Vet
dean0283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:16 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D
Costco? Now there's someone I would listen to.

On second thought, it might be a good idea if you had them do the work. If they don't trust their employees to do it right, I guess wouldn't either.

Here comes Dale Jr into the pits after 12 laps to get his lugs re-torqued.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:25 AM   #13

If the shop that is working on your tires has the proper equipment, I would check that all lug nut are tight at about 100 miles. Other wise I would just be looking at them from time to time.
However if your are talking about getting 'NEW' alloy wheels, then we tell our customers to retorque the lug nuts at 25, 50 & 100 miles. Thet can bring the vehicle back to us and we will do the retorque free. Reason being is that the new wheels need toseat in to their new home. So far we had never had an issue.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:59 AM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean0283 View Post
I've never rechecked lugs on any RV, SUV and vehicle (including a few airplanes) I've ever owned. Never had a tire come off or fine that I had fewer lugs that I started with. This seems to be one of those things that I think are completely unnecessary.

Funny you should say that, my kids Accord had 2 wheels with 2 to 3 lugs loose each just yesterday. He had new tires installed on Weds. They are the original steel wheels...

I, myself, had to pull over once after about 5 miles to retighten alloys once atfer getting new tires and watching them torque the lugs to spec AND get verified by the foreman..

Please, at least inspect and test the lugs the morning after or after a heat/cool cycle...