Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2010, 08:41 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
M11 Cummins vs. Series 60 Detroit

Considering a used Bluebird. Would appreciate your thoughts on these two engine choices. Longevity, cost of operating, ease of maintenance. Engines will be in the 1998 through 2002 years with 30,000 to 60,000 miles.

Anything to inspect or watch for?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2010, 08:48 PM   #2

Ten or more years old with only 60,000 miles? Has the engine been replaced? The rest of the coach likely has 500,000 or better on it so a thorough inspection is in order, the engine is only one component. Either one will give years of good service if properly maintained.

Old 11-06-2010, 10:02 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Both coach's I am considering have 50,000 miles and the engines have not been replaced or rebuilt. Not uncommon to find 10 year old coach's with an average of 3-6000 miles a year.

Steve
Old 11-06-2010, 11:09 PM   #4

Both are very good motors. Blue Birds are very well built coaches. Make SURE!!! you check all systems in the house carefully. Blue Bird uses top grade components and they are great when working and very expensive to fix. My coach was a bit newer and has similar high grade stuff in it to a Blue Bird. I expected and did spend my first year fixing / debugging the issues with the coach which were minor. Cost me 30,000 to get the bugs out and quite a bit of time.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:11 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

A lot of difference between the two motors. The M-11 is 659 cubic inches and the Detroit is 846 cubic inches. This larger displacemnt means more torque at a lower RPM so quiter operation. The Detroit is classified as a "Million Mile Motor" and the I am not sure about the M but the later ISM is a 500,000 mile motor. John Bleakley RV who was the Blue Bird dealer here considered the Detroit as the best motor available in a coach. The M-11 later was modified to improve it and became the ISM motor. So this means that the M-11 does not have the improved Interact System. I lot of motor home companies offered the Detroit as an upgrade over the Cummins which should tell you something. It was a fairly expensive upgrade. When I went searching for my latest MH the Detroit was my requirement and it has not let me down. It is a fantastic motor. We do not hear the Detroit at all when driving. All the Prevost conversions had the Detroit motors in them as well as the Greyhound buses.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:04 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
A question for Mike

Mike, any idea what year the M11 went to the ISM?

Also, other than oil, air cleaner, radiator service, does the Series 60 require other engine maintenance such as valve adjustment like the M11/ISM?

Thanks
Steve
Old 11-07-2010, 01:33 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

The M-11 changed to the ISM in 2004 and again changed to the ISM-II in 2005. The Detroit Series 60 requires a valve lash adjustment and a injector height adjustment at 60,000 miles. This costs $400 here in Atlanta and they call it a "tuneup" then it is good to go from there. Detroit says that the motor is about through with the break in at around 60,000 mile and that is why they want to do it. I haven't got to that mileage yet. I do understand that it improves the MPG a little. I average between 6.8 and 7 mpg in my 48,000 lb Signature at 62-65 mpg.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:19 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Mike, the Vintage Birds history page for the 2000 year model shows the Cummins engine listed as an ISM. Is it possible that Bluebird got hold of the new updated engine early?

Thanks

Steve
Old 11-07-2010, 04:02 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I think you are correct. I researched some more and found out that in 2002 the ISM motors changed and added the EGR system. This indicates that they were around before 2002 so 2000 maybe correct.

Helpful Cummins ISM Information

Detroit Diesel - Series 60 Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine