Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2016, 06:59 PM   #1

Macerator toilet in the Class A. How's it work?

I'm looking at a diesel coach that has a standard toilet with the peddle flush in the half bath. The Master bath has a "Macerator Toilet". And in the video I watched a statement was made while pointing out the Macerator Toilet "because of it you only have one black tank"!

I did a search on YouTube and saw all kinds of different brands etc but nothing on how it works and why its a good thing for an RV?

Can you help?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2016, 07:21 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The half bath toilet is located directly over the black tank, hence only needs gravity to discharge to the black tank. The master bath is located away from the black tank. The toilet there has a macerator pump (chops and pumps the contents to the black tank). The alternative would be another black tank and gravity toilet, for whuch there is no space under the master bath for the tank.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:52 PM   #3

Thanks Vince,

So there is nothing in the operation of the macerator that makes a difference to the coach owner? If I didn't know one is a macerator toilet and one isn't, I'd not know a difference between the two?

I'm probably not making myself very clear. Not having to have another black tank under the master bath is good and I like that I only have to dump once. But is that the extent of the difference between the toilets? There is nothing else I need to know?

I was very surprised there wasn't a video on YouTube talking about macerator toilet and the good, bad and indifferent about it?
Old 09-12-2016, 09:25 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
So there is nothing in the operation of the macerator that makes a difference to the coach owner? If I didn't know one is a macerator toilet and one isn't, I'd not know a difference between the two?

I'm probably not making myself very clear. Not having to have another black tank under the master bath is good and I like that I only have to dump once. But is that the extent of the difference between the toilets? There is nothing else I need to know?
The macerator toilet flushes with a pushbutton, the standard toilet just has a foot pedal to flush.

That's all there is to it, both empty into one black tank. Ours has both types and the macerator is very convenient. You can empty the water out of it by holding both pushbuttons at once.
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 01:29 AM   #5

Being a macerator toilet mechanic for a living is a really crappy way of providing for one's self to pay bills. When that motor burns out in mid flush somebody has to tear it down and repair it. I've pulled huge sump pumps from sewer plants and had to tear them down. It's a great weight loss program as you don't eat for a while.
Bob1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:49 AM   #6

Hey Bob, what's the normal life of the pump and the other macerater parts?

I hope your well paid for that pump work. Sounds like a nasty jab for sure. I'm thankful there are good folks like you willing to do it!

You are as they say "Da Man"!
Old 09-13-2016, 10:53 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
The biggest disadvantage of a macerating toilet is that it uses lots of water and fills your black tank very fast.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 11:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1340 View Post
Being a macerator toilet mechanic for a living is a really crappy way of providing for one's self to pay bills. When that motor burns out in mid flush somebody has to tear it down and repair it. I've pulled huge sump pumps from sewer plants and had to tear them down. It's a great weight loss program as you don't eat for a while.

Well someone's got to do it!

2009 Safari Cheetah 40'
350 HP Cat
2014 Ford Focus
Air Force One
Old 09-13-2016, 12:17 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

how it works and why its a good thing for an RV?

Can you help?
Hi WyoFree,

A conventional RV toilet is installed directly above the black tank. In the base of the toilet bowl is a gate valve. Typically, users keep a little water in the toilet bowl to help seal the gate valve since it's the only barrier between the bathroom and the black tank. After waste is deposited into the toilet bowl, the gate valve is briefly opened allowing the waste to drop straight down into the tank. Some people complain that during that brief opening,it's possible for some "aroma" to escape the black tank into the bathroom. Many folks use various types of tank deodorizers to mitigate that problem.

A macerator toilet bowl has a design similar to a standard home style toilet, sort of a modified p trap drain. The bowl remains filled with water at (almost) all times. When waste is deposited into the toilet bowl, using an electrically powered push button, a macerator pump mounted integral to the bottom rear of the toilet is activated. That macerator pump chops any waste and propels it through the waste system piping into the black tank. Concurrent with that macerator pump activation, a water shutoff valve opens and allows a stream of fresh water to refill the now empty toilet bowl. That whole process takes about 5 seconds.

Conventional toilet benefits: simple, not many moving parts, doesn't require very much water.

Conventional toilet disadvantages: possible to experience unpleasant aromas; possible to construct the infamous "brown tower" immediately below the toilet in the black tank.

Mascerator toilet benefits: no aromas into the bathroom, since the waste has all been "pureed" and suspended in more water, it's possible to install the toilet some distance from the black tank, to the best of my knowledge, all macerator toilets have porcelain bowls.

Macerator toilet disadvantages: it does make some noise during operation, it does use more water (there IS a user adjustment to the amount of water, but, it will ALWAYS be more than a conventional toilet), significantly more complex (expensive), requires 12v. dc power to operate.

All that being said, I have one installed in my motorhome. 5 years of trouble free operation, living an average of 5 months a year in the motorhome. I don't dry camp, so the water use isn't much of a concern for me.

We like it.

Take care,
Stu
Old 09-13-2016, 01:17 PM   #10

Wow Stu, what a terrific response! It's exactly the information I wanted. I've never liked having something I didn't understand and now I understand!

Am I wrong or is there another side benefit to having a Macerator toilet? The benefit of the additional water helping to dissipate the "brown tower"? Or is that just wishful thinking?
Old 09-13-2016, 04:13 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
With the macerator toilet, there WILL NOT be a brown tower. The macerator finely chops all the solids. The only waste going into the black tank will be in a near liquid state.

Take care,
Stu
Old 09-13-2016, 04:17 PM   #12

I'm sorry Stu, I wasn't clear. I mean that maybe the added water from the macerater may help dissipate a brown tower build up that may have come from the 1/2 bath.

Just a thought.
Old 09-13-2016, 04:47 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
I'm sorry Stu, I wasn't clear. I mean that maybe the added water from the macerater may help dissipate a brown tower build up that may have come from the 1/2 bath.

Just a thought.

I have not yet experienced a brown tower, and I have only the one bath in my coach. I believe the brown tower effect is more of an outhouse thing, although I suppose it could happen.
superk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 07:13 PM   #14

Macerator toilet in the Class A. How's it work?

We have a Tecma macerator toilet in our Mandalay. The previous owner installed a potentiometer on the water level adjustment. The level adjustment is just a timer, setting the amount of time the water valve will be open. If I turn the knob fully clockwise, when I hit the button the toilet will flush immediately, without filling the bowl first. This is handy when trying to save water and only liquid waste is involved.

Set at 12 o'clock will it provide the usual amount of water. So far this toilet has been 100% reliable.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1473811974.966049.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	138882

Tags
ace, class a, toilet