Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2015, 02:54 PM   #15

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I used a standard 3" slinky for 4yrs with a previous coach, and now the last 2yrs with a Sanicon. I'm not going back to the slinky !

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2015, 04:27 PM   #16

I'm not going back either. Mine has never plugged but just in case I carry a female-female garden hose adapter. I can hook a hose to the end and flush backwards thru the impeller to free it. To each his own :<)

2007 Monaco Executive 45' 525 ISX

Old 10-12-2015, 04:37 PM   #17

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2Home View Post
Would I buy a 'sanicon' to install, more then likely no! However since our current MH came with it installed, I like the ease of dumping the tanks. It does take longer to dump the tanks, but very little mess to deal with. I did find that I need to 'rinse' the black tank a little longer but that is OK with me.
Same here! Used the 3" hose for most of my 57 years of RV'ing with no troubles. In fact when I first started the RV's didn't even have toilets!
Now I have both and still prefer the 3".
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 07:29 PM   #18

Gulf Streamers Club
Just installed Sanicon and used it last weekend. I will agree that it takes longer but for me there is no comparison. Love the smaller hose and it's storage. Will always keep the stinky slinky just incase but right now I love the convenience and cleanliness of the Sanicon.
To each his own I guess.
Crabb E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:54 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Would you do the mounted sanicon or the portable?
Old 10-12-2015, 10:02 PM   #20
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"mojoracing"......I like the mounted unit. Here's a little secret. When you buy the mounted SaniCon model, it comes with a grey plastic box that contains the unit (primarily for looks). The plastic box limits the mounting options. I removed the box, exposing the pump, which has it's own mounting tabs. This allows you to mount the unit in many different angles, so that the hoses are easily connected and pointing the right direction.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 10:03 PM   #21

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ours is the mounted one as a factory option. Personally I could do without it and did for many, many years!
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 06:39 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
I'm in agreement with Dutch Star Don. After using both the overwhelming advantage of the Sanicon system is evident. Those that feel negative about its use as Don stated, probably have never used one. There is maintenance , for the OP's information. Once a year I remove the pump motor, loosen three fine threaded machine screws, clean the stainless impeller/chopper, lube the pump impeller, a little silicone grease around the seal and re install. That's it! Now going on five years since original installation. The ease of use and sanitary conditions far outweigh any negativity regarding the few extra minutes needed to dump both grey and black tanks.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 07:09 AM   #23

Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
I have a portable unit that allows back washing too. Mainly because wife requires me to provide her with the bathroom facilities on the road. So I can run 125 ft of 3/4" hose to the septic system at home to clean out. I like that.

But still, while at a full hookup site, I use the standard stinky-slinky. I always flush with the grey water and when I store it, it has caps at both ends. It's then enclosed in a flat plastic case with a snap on top.

Ken
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 08:34 AM   #24
Commercial Member

Why Not To Use A Macerator Pump All The Time

Here is the BIG secret about common sense holding tank dumping that you didn't know about. RVers have 3 simple steps to do to get the poop (Prevent Offensive Odor Problems) out.
A) Give your drain hose proper grade (crap will not flow up hill)
B) Take full advantage of gravity full
C) Build up greater Down Pressure in your tanks by letting your tanks fill up. Greater down pressure creates a tornado in your tank which sucks the volume out.

When you use a macerator pump all the time, you are turning your Holding Tanks into Septic Tanks. Septic tanks never get clean.

Happy Camping
niceguy9605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 08:46 AM   #25

KISS is surely the ultimate goal of good design.
Toilet waste pipe drops straight down into black tank using gravity and no moving parts. Black tank drains to sewer via large diameter short hose using gravity and no moving parts.

KISS
Old 10-13-2015, 08:59 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
KISS is surely the ultimate goal of good design.
Toilet waste pipe drops straight down into black tank using gravity and no moving parts. Black tank drains to sewer via large diameter short hose using gravity and no moving parts.

KISS
^^^What Tony Said^^^
One thing I have learned is the less "gadgets" one has, the more reliable the experience. Probably the most complicated thing I have on my RV is the slide, and I cross my fingers every time it goes in and out. The last thing I want to do is yearly maintenance on a sewer hose system.
That said, I can see if you have a long uphill run to a sewer cleanout the macerator might be an attractive option. But I don't have that need, thankfully.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 09:19 AM   #27

I've had the same "why" question myself about a Macerator. The only two I've seen working, I was told they had to be watched for the entire dump and it seems like just another device that can cause me a problem. X2 on what Tony lee said.
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 10:30 AM   #28

We use the 3" slinky while on the road. However there have been times when the sewer port is either too far away or there's an uphill grade from the RV pad to the sewer port. In those situations we have to unhook and use the dump station. In these situations a macerator would come in handy.

At home we use a portable macerator to empty the tanks into the house sewer connection. The connection is in the garage and again too far away to be reached with a slinky. The pump is slower than the direct dump method, but it allows the tanks to be emptied from a further distance regardless of the grade.

Tags
ace