Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-11-2015, 07:31 PM   #1
Winnebago Owners Club
Macerator. Why????

Yes, I know what it does.

I also know that it is supposed to eliminate the "Stinky Slinky."

OK, I get that.

So rather than having a "stinky slinky" after dumping your tanks, you have a "stinky hose." And that's much better because...? Why?

What am I missing here? It doesn't seem to me - IMHO after doing the Stinky Slinky thing for over 26 consecutive years without any notable cantankerous memories - to be any better, easier or less messy.

Please, please, please educate on the benefits.

1999 Winnie Adventurer 37.5' (we call it a 38' for short) with a Ford Triton V10
2009 Yorkie named Teddy
2010 Ausi named Bear
Just For Fun is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2015, 07:55 PM   #2
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I'm with you. My 3 " hose works fine but I do have a macerator to empty my tanks when I return home. Mainly because my stinky slinky won't drain up hill.

2015, HR Ambassador 38DBT / 2006 Jeep TJ Towd
340 Cummins / Freightliner Chassis
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 08:21 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Dont have 60 feet of Sting slinky
Mark Taylor
1999 Bounder 32H Ford V10, 2012 Ford Focus, Pretty DW, 2 cats. Retired USAF
mrt_1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 08:34 PM   #4
New Horizons Owners Club
mrt has it. When we visit family we can park no closer than 80 ft from the sewer pipe. The macerator allows us to easily dump tanks without moving or handling honey wagons. We prefer the 3" hose by far. 3" is faster and flushes solids better.
2013 New Horizons 37' Majestic, 2013 Ford F-450 Lariat
Full-time RV April 2013, Retired January 2014
Pullin' Chocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 08:43 PM   #5
Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
we changed out our macerator because it just didn't do the job...nothing worse than having a full black tank and the macerator stops working!!! Got rid of the macerator and hooked up the regular stinky slinky...because it works!!
Thor ACE 2013 29.2
lenkerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 08:45 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Don't have nor will ever be w/o the use of a macerator sani con system..its easy, fast, very sanitary in comparison. The expandable hose is easily handled and collapsed and is one inch diameter. I've attached a garden female attachment to the end this allows easy screw and attachment of the bonnet. When complete screw in a threaded bung, no leakage, store in the bay coiled up nice and neat due to small size. Hook up and retrieval are really fast. Hope this answers questions and yes at my last s/b we pumped two hundred feet to home cut out with a canvas hose that rolled up nice and tight once drained and flushed. Couple that with the Sani Con ability to assist in black tank maintenance it's pretty much a very positive option.
Clay & Pebble.. Miss Butter our sweet Goldie (Jan. 2005-Jan. 2015) Sissy our Border Collie
2012 Providence 42 M. Spartan Chassis, 450 ISL
Ford Edge toad, RM All Terrane, TST TPMS, SMI Air Force One, RVM95....
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:17 AM   #7
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well I have both a 3" and a macerator.. There are sites where I very simply do not have enough 3" hose. or I need to pump UPhill or there are other reasons that I do not want to use the 3" hose.

Also the 3/4" hose is easier to "Wrangle" and store and so on.

But the 3" hose is faster and you get "The WOOSH" factor where stuff that might sit on the bottom of the tank WOOSHES into the 3" dump and gone.

So I have the portable Flo-Jet when it's up hill or 40 feet+ away a and the 3" when it's 10-15 feert, (Around 30 is when I switch to Macerator).
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 10:47 AM   #8

Thank you for asking this question as I've been wondering what I was missing and if I needed one. Unless I had to pump a long way, I know know my slinky is just fine.

2008 HR Ambassador 38 PDQ 360DP ISC
cdinatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 12:54 PM   #9
Would I buy a 'sanicon' to install, more then likely no! However since our current MH came with it installed, I like the ease of dumping the tanks. It does take longer to dump the tanks, but very little mess to deal with. I did find that I need to 'rinse' the black tank a little longer but that is OK with me.
2009 38' Diplomat
CSM- retired, wife as co-pilot
Reka & Ali providing security (our 2 labs)
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 01:08 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
When this question comes up, 90% of the responders have NEVER had a macerator, yet they criticize it's use. They always fall back on the loss of the whoosh effect.....Does that mean they don't rinse their tank and the whoosh is sooo powerful that it sweeps the tank clean??? Old wives tale!

Then they say it takes to long to dump with a macerator. To that I will agree, but once again, they've never owned one, so they don't understand that the time involved is about the same. When you use a 3" hose, you have to go to your hose storage, remove the hose, drag it to your bay, connect the hose....get the magical whoosh. Then you have to disconnect the 3" hose, drag it to the drain, flush it with another hose that you may have had to pull from your storage if one isn't available, and then try not to drip fluid on your feet as you put the sewer hose away and the other hose.

Here's how the SaniCon or similar macerator works. The hose is ALWAYS connected and stored right in your water bay. You grab the end of the hose, unscrew the 1" cap and connect to the park sewer. You open your valve, turn on the macerator and let the tank drain. Here is where you can do a simple tank flush....after the black tank drains, open the grey valve. The water from the grey will flood the black within a minute or so until the tanks are even. Close the grey and drain the black. You've just flushed it, without additional water, with soapy grey water.

You NEVER need to flush or rinse the SaniCon hose. Remove the connection from the campground sewer drain, screw the 1" cap back on and store the hose in the water bay.

Now here's the best part.....you never touch or deal with a 3" hose, flushing of the hose or storing one after use when it's still dripping. The SaniCon hose is very compact and stretches to 20', yet coils up to fit on the floor of your water bay.

Before they even say it....someone will claim that they clog. I've owned one for over 11 years without an issue. I replace the impeller about every 5-6 years....a 30 minute job.
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 01:11 PM   #11
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Over the years I have seen fellow RVers messing with clogged / non working Sanicon systems. Never had a problem with the 3" slinky hose way. Just got to be sure you attach to end good. I have a 90 degree elbow for mine at the end. Helps keep the exit end put.

If I was buying a new RV and the macerator system was a option, I would not get it.
Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 01:20 PM   #12
Why do black and grey tanks have flat, level bottoms? Wouldn't complete dumping be better accomplished if the bottom of the tank was sloped?
peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 01:36 PM   #13
Originally Posted by peterson View Post
Why do black and grey tanks have flat, level bottoms? Wouldn't complete dumping be better accomplished if the bottom of the tank was sloped?
To get a sloped bottom you'd have to give up some holding capacity. Also, it would take more a little more effort (money) in design and manufacturing.

If necessary, run your passenger-side tires up on blocks at the dump station.
cwsqbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 01:43 PM   #14
Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Originally Posted by peterson View Post
And, why 2 tanks? it all gets dumped in the same place.

"96" HR Navigator, 38' no slides, Cummins, Allison
next stop
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote