Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2011, 04:31 PM   #1

Magnadyne M9900 replacement?

I'm replacing old Magnadyne M9900 in my 2003 Winnebago Adventurer. Have it next to me as I type this. My question is this. I've identified the speaker wires and the red wire labeled Switched 12 vdc. The yellow wire is 12 vdc constant. I don't see this identified in the harnesses of the new radios I've been looking at online. What are these wires for and if I need the yellow wire hooked up, how is that done (to what wire in the radio harness)?
I have a switch on the dash that gives me the option of engine or house battery. I also have a switch in front of the inverter in the cabinet next to the tv and that switch allows me to flip the sound from tv to radio.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2011, 04:40 PM   #2
KIX

You may get more replies if you change the SUBJECT of this post.

KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:45 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
The yellow wire with constant 12DC is to keep the radio memory alive when the radio is turned off.

By not knowing what radio you are talking about any other info would be a guess.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:49 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
The yellow wire with constant 12DC is to keep the radio memory alive when the radio is turned off.

By not knowing what radio you are talking about any other info would be a guess.
Agree and also to keep clock on
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:26 PM   #5

indiomark

One of the radios I was looking at from the Crutchfield site was a Jensen Heavy duty jhd3620. After I sent my request in the forum my wife walked in from the rv with the owner's manual on the Magnadyne. Looking through the owner's manual I noted a red wire which would be power from the ignition and the yellow is power from another source.
The Crutchfield site offers a view of the owner's manual for the Jensen. I took a look at that and did not see what would amount to a yellow wire like the Magnadyne. This wire is part of the harness that's under the dash. If this wire needs to be attached to the radio then how is that done? Am I simply looking at a radio that can't be used, though in an email from Crutchfield support, they recommended two similar Jensen models

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post

Old 01-21-2011, 09:26 AM   #6

Dropped by the local Best Buy and spoke with an installer and now understand what the yellow wire is for. I was looking at two particular stereos on the Crutchfiels site and they did not have a yellow wire in the description of the harness in the owner's manual and I think it's not an option though I've got a call into their support site to confirm.
Thanks for all your help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndioMark View Post
I'm replacing old Magnadyne M9900 in my 2003 Winnebago Adventurer. Have it next to me as I type this. My question is this. I've identified the speaker wires and the red wire labeled Switched 12 vdc. The yellow wire is 12 vdc constant. I don't see this identified in the harnesses of the new radios I've been looking at online. What are these wires for and if I need the yellow wire hooked up, how is that done (to what wire in the radio harness)?
I have a switch on the dash that gives me the option of engine or house battery. I also have a switch in front of the inverter in the cabinet next to the tv and that switch allows me to flip the sound from tv to radio.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:04 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I replaced my 9900 with the Magnadyne M1-LCD. The wiring on the back is an exact fit to the 9900, but you gain the option of Navigation, Sirius radio, iPod, etc.

The 9900 is a 1 1/2 din and the M1-LCD is a 2 din, so you have to enlarge the hole if you decide to go this route.

Bud
'11 Z-71 4X4 toad
BudtheDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 04:51 PM   #8

Jay 1938

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiomark View Post
i'm replacing old magnadyne m9900 in my 2003 winnebago adventurer. Have it next to me as i type this. My question is this. I've identified the speaker wires and the red wire labeled switched 12 vdc. The yellow wire is 12 vdc constant. I don't see this identified in the harnesses of the new radios i've been looking at online. What are these wires for and if i need the yellow wire hooked up, how is that done (to what wire in the radio harness)?
i am looking for a m9900 magnadine radio.. Do you still have one..

Thanks
Old 05-31-2017, 04:52 PM   #9

Thanks
Old 05-31-2017, 04:53 PM   #10

Thanks JAY 1938
Old 06-01-2017, 09:09 AM   #11

Radio

I no longer have the old radio. Matter of fact we traded in the old rv and picked up a new Tiffin Allegro. We're out using it now which is reason for delay in response as internet service is not good where we're at. Good luck finding a replacement
Old 06-02-2017, 01:07 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Sometimes the best way to replace a radio is to trade in the entire coach!
Good luck with your Allegro!

Jay, your search will go easier if you spell it correctly: Magnadyne m9900 or Magnadyne M1-LCD
There's an M1 on eBay for $100.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 03:48 PM   #13
dcmrblueridge.com

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
Sometimes the best way to replace a radio is to trade in the entire coach!
Good luck with your Allegro!

Jay, your search will go easier if you spell it correctly: Magnadyne m9900 or Magnadyne M1-LCD
There's an M1 on eBay for $100.
Ha, why wait for the radio to go bad, just trade in the coach when it gets needs to be washed.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 04:16 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I couldn't give my Magnadyne away and finally threw it out. For those that don't know.....many discarded the Magnadynes because they would skip when playing CD's. Eventually, the problem was discovered. The power wire (red) was never installed correctly at the factory and didn't make good contact. When the unit needed more power than just a radio, like spinning a disc, it would lose power momentarily. The wire is easily fixed at the connector. By the time this discovery was made years ago, many had already tossed the units.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote