Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2019, 07:48 AM   #1

Magnadyne radio and Sirius

My 07 Itasca had a Magnadyne 9900 dash radio and with the typical AM/FM but also had the Sirius capability. PO had apparently bought the lifetime subscription since 3.5 years after my purchase it was still active. Unfortunately last fall the radio died, no power, no display, nothing. Contact with Magnadyne was of no help with the radio as it is "legacy" meaning obsolete and no testing or parts available. They did have an upgrade a 9920 which I bought. Original radio was a 1.5 DIN, replacement a 1.0 DIN and came with the appropriate adapters and mounting plates. It also came with the appropriate plug n play wiring cable. But it's not compatible with the Sirius as a direct radio operation. It is apparently through the front AUX position, 1.5mm pin.

On the 9900 the Sirius radio connected to the back of the radio with a round multi-pin "S-video" type pin. Not an S-video but that style. No such connecter on the new 9920. New radio is installed and works but it would be nice to use the Sirius since it's still an active unit.

Does anyone know how I might adapt the original Sirius receiver to the new 9920 and how to control it. Thanks.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2019, 09:16 AM   #2

I don’t think it would be possible to use the Sirius tuner from the old radio. As you have already surmised, you have no way of controlling the Sirius tuner. The Aux jack will allow an external source to send its audio output to your head unit, but offer no control of the external device.

Since you were in a position to replace, I recommend you return that head unit and purchase one with Sirius built in or one that is Sirius ready. I would consider other brands as well as not to limit your options.

According to a forum post on Sirius’s website, a lifetime Sirius subscription can be transferred to A new unit up to 3 times for a $75 fee per transfer. A call to Sirius customer support could provide details as to whether you qualify given your situation.

https://listenercare.siriusxm.com/ap...a-new-radio%3F

Hope this helps you find a solution to your issue
Festag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:31 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festag1 View Post
I don’t think it would be possible to use the Sirius tuner from the old radio. As you have already surmised, you have no way of controlling the Sirius tuner. The Aux jack will allow an external source to send its audio output to your head unit, but offer no control of the external device.

Since you were in a position to replace, I recommend you return that head unit and purchase one with Sirius built in or one that is Sirius ready. I would consider other brands as well as not to limit your options.

According to a forum post on Sirius’s website, a lifetime Sirius subscription can be transferred to A new unit up to 3 times for a $75 fee per transfer. A call to Sirius customer support could provide details as to whether you qualify given your situation.

https://listenercare.siriusxm.com/ap...a-new-radio%3F

Hope this helps you find a solution to your issue
Thanks I'll check with Sirius about the possible transfer. As far as returning the 9920, it's installed and I'm not going to pull it and send it back. I had thought about different brand since I suppose most are better than a Magnadyne but the ease in replacement plus we don't listen to the radio that much anyway. When I talked to Magnadyne about their swap they talked about running the Sirius into the AUX port with different equipment. May explore that if I feel the overwhelming urge. I was hoping for a "quick and easy" solution. Probably doesn't exist.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:48 AM   #4

There are a small Sirius receivers out there..$50 ish ... Not just a little box, but a small screen and buttons.... think "radio". 120V and 12V power cables included. Their audio output is the 1/8" pin which you can feed into the aux port.

Get the radio ID off it (channel zero) and call Sirius for the transfer.

An example:

https://www.amazon.com/SiriusXM-SXPL...gateway&sr=8-4
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 01:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
There are a small Sirius receivers out there..$50 ish ... Not just a little box, but a small screen and buttons.... think "radio". 120V and 12V power cables included. Their audio output is the 1/8" pin which you can feed into the aux port.

Get the radio ID off it (channel zero) and call Sirius for the transfer.

An example:

https://www.amazon.com/SiriusXM-SXPL...gateway&sr=8-4
Problem is the old radio is dead and can't power up. I did see what might be the subscription number written down on one of the manuals supplied with the coach. As I recall, 2 rather lengthy number sequences. I'll find it and see if Sirius can help.
Old 03-19-2019, 05:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwwicks View Post
My 07 Itasca had a Magnadyne 9900 dash radio and with the typical AM/FM but also had the Sirius capability. PO had apparently bought the lifetime subscription since 3.5 years after my purchase it was still active. Unfortunately last fall the radio died, no power, no display, nothing. Contact with Magnadyne was of no help with the radio as it is "legacy" meaning obsolete and no testing or parts available. They did have an upgrade a 9920 which I bought. Original radio was a 1.5 DIN, replacement a 1.0 DIN and came with the appropriate adapters and mounting plates. It also came with the appropriate plug n play wiring cable. But it's not compatible with the Sirius as a direct radio operation. It is apparently through the front AUX position, 1.5mm pin.

On the 9900 the Sirius radio connected to the back of the radio with a round multi-pin "S-video" type pin. Not an S-video but that style. No such connecter on the new 9920. New radio is installed and works but it would be nice to use the Sirius since it's still an active unit.

Does anyone know how I might adapt the original Sirius receiver to the new 9920 and how to control it. Thanks.
drwwicks,
It's too bad you already bought a replacement radio. I'd have to dig around some but, there is a place/guy that handles bad Magnadynes. He's pretty good too. I'll look around to see what I can find. One never knows, you might be able to resurrect that older Magnadyne.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
drwwicks,
It's too bad you already bought a replacement radio. I'd have to dig around some but, there is a place/guy that handles bad Magnadynes. He's pretty good too. I'll look around to see what I can find. One never knows, you might be able to resurrect that older Magnadyne.
Scott
Scott I still have the radio so if you can find that info I'd appreciate it. Never know, might be able to fix.

David
Old 03-20-2019, 10:46 AM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
David....Your Magnadyne quitting was a common issue and plagued Magnadyne for years until someone figured it out. The issue was usually the 12 volt power wire as it entered the radio. The radio would first stop paying CD's because of the power wire connection (not enough power to run CD motor), then they would eventually quit. If you dig around that power wire and repair the connection, it should play. It was very hard to see the broken connection and why it took so long for someone to figure it out.

All of that is too late now, so let's talk about your new radio. Most new radios come Sirius ready, which means you just add a Sirius Tuner ($40) that would just plug into a port in the rear. The Magnadynes don't offer that option, so no Sirius ready components.

The next way to get Sirius is do what I did. I use to have a work vehicle, motorcycle and boat where I wanted to be able to listen to Sirius radio. I didn't want to buy subscriptions for all of those, so I just bought one portable unit with tuner and two additional portable units without a tuner. I mounted the three portable units and just moved the head unit (tuner) to the vehicle I was using (just lifts out). The units cost about $45.00. They all connect by plugging into a 3.5mm port, which your new radio has on the front.

When you call Sirius, I think you'll find that they will question how you're related to the previous owner and realize that they neglected or the previous owner neglected to transfer or turn off the subscription you've taken advantage of for several years.

If you have to pay for a new contract, work them hard until they give you a great deal. They usually start out at $250.00 a year. They always have six month specials for a lot less. Just watch out for renewal. Any account is automatically renewed at an astronomical price.....this is the only way they will do it. I place a reminder in my phone and a week before the contract ends, I negotiate a new one.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
David....Your Magnadyne quitting was a common issue and plagued Magnadyne for years until someone figured it out. The issue was usually the 12 volt power wire as it entered the radio. The radio would first stop paying CD's because of the power wire connection (not enough power to run CD motor), then they would eventually quit. If you dig around that power wire and repair the connection, it should play. It was very hard to see the broken connection and why it took so long for someone to figure it out.

All of that is too late now, so let's talk about your new radio. Most new radios come Sirius ready, which means you just add a Sirius Tuner ($40) that would just plug into a port in the rear. The Magnadynes don't offer that option, so no Sirius ready components.

The next way to get Sirius is do what I did. I use to have a work vehicle, motorcycle and boat where I wanted to be able to listen to Sirius radio. I didn't want to buy subscriptions for all of those, so I just bought one portable unit with tuner and two additional portable units without a tuner. I mounted the three portable units and just moved the head unit (tuner) to the vehicle I was using (just lifts out). The units cost about $45.00. They all connect by plugging into a 3.5mm port, which your new radio has on the front.

When you call Sirius, I think you'll find that they will question how you're related to the previous owner and realize that they neglected or the previous owner neglected to transfer or turn off the subscription you've taken advantage of for several years.

If you have to pay for a new contract, work them hard until they give you a great deal. They usually start out at $250.00 a year. They always have six month specials for a lot less. Just watch out for renewal. Any account is automatically renewed at an astronomical price.....this is the only way they will do it. I place a reminder in my phone and a week before the contract ends, I negotiate a new one.
Don thanks. Yes I'm familiar somewhat with Sirius pricing and such. Nearly all new, and some used cars, come with Sirius subscription for varying periods of time. Right now being bombarded by Sirius about a 3 month subscription on a used Miata I bought. Sirius isn't that I'm portent to me but if I could get the coaches module to work with the new radio without a never ending and pricy subscription. What I'm trying to figure out may not work but that won't cause the world to end. Entertainment by radio or TV is low on our priorities especially if it costs money.

Tags
radio