Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2015, 03:57 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Magnetek converter

I have a 2001 Winnabego Journey DL and I'm looking for the Magnetek converter. I've been pretty well over the rig, but have not found the converter. I've not looked in the space under the refrigerator, but that looks like an unlikely plact to put that type of electronic device--enclosed and all. I'll start the search anew this week, but was wondering if anyone has found the thing in one of these rigs and where it's located.

I need to check the converter to see that it's working properly. I've not had much luck with the company on specs. Any source would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2015, 05:24 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't have a Journey, but on my Forza, it is in a bay half way back on the passenger side.

If you don't get an answer in this forum, also try the Winnebago Owners Forum

Old 09-09-2015, 12:29 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

You probably don't have a Magnetek at all - I don't think Winnie used that brand in the Journey at all.

In the DL you probably have a Heart inverter/charger instead. Far superior unit. Will be near the batteries and wired to them.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 12:49 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson8ford View Post
I have a 2001 Winnabego Journey DL and I'm looking for the Magnetek converter. I've been pretty well over the rig, but have not found the converter. I've not looked in the space under the refrigerator, but that looks like an unlikely plact to put that type of electronic device--enclosed and all.
On our 2006 Itasca that's exactly where the converter was located. It was under the fridge and easily accessed with the drawer removed. There seemed to be plenty of air space around it for cooling.
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 05:52 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for your help. Having explored every place else, I decided to look under the frig. On this model, one has to remove a panel under the frig, there's no easy access. The converter was there and it was not easy to get to. The space is small and the converter is screwed to the floor making it hard to do any diagnosis. There may be plenty of air space around the converter, but locating it in a space only accessible by removing a panel seems dangerous. Now I need to get some diagnostic information such as charging output to the batteries in order to check this thing out. At any rate, thanks again.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:26 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

It's easy to tell if the converter/charger is working and you don't need access. Just put a voltmeter on the batteries while the RV is plugged to shore power (or genset running). If the voltage is upwards of 13.0 (typically 13.3-13.6), the converter is doing its job.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:29 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks. With the rig plugged in, the converter connedted to the batteries, the voltage read 11.5. When I disconnected the batteries to do a load test on them, the positive from the converter to ground read 15.5. Disconnected, each battery meassured 11.5. A hydrometer showed the batteries were way undercharged. The load test showed the batteries were marginal at best. I've put a battery charger on the disconnected batteries to see if they will improve. It, of course, could be that the batteries are bad; however, they are only a little over a year old. Not good!
Again, thanks.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:21 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Your batteries are shot. 11.5v is a dead battery, for all practical purposes. A load test or a hygrometer test is really only valid when fully charged (12.6v), and a 12v battery that cannot reach 12.6v after a reasonable time charging is "bad" by definition.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:19 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Hi Gary,
I agree, 11.5 volts for a battery indicates something amiss. However, the batteries are only a little over a year old. I disconnected the batteries and hooked them up to a battery charger and the batteries came up to 13.5. I'll put them on a load test in a few days to see how they are holding up. When I checked the disconnected cables coming from the converter, they read 15.5 volts. This seems a bit high, but I need to check the amperage. When I hooked up the charger, it read a 10 amp charge rate.

This was the first time that the batteries have been drained. For several days the refrigerator, its fans, and an overhead fan ran without the rig being plugged in to shore power. I moved the rig and re-routed the connecting line, and unbeknown to me, the shore plug had backed out, so there was no charge current. The refrigerator was running on propane, so I did not notice that the shore line was disconnected until the refrigerator started giving a low 12v signal--that was the day were were leaving. That the batteries lasted several days without the converer says something about the batteries. I know it is not a good thing to fully discharge a wet-cell battery, so I hope I did not damage them.

Thanks for your information.

CLB
Old 09-14-2015, 11:41 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

A fully charged 12v battery should read 12.6v, but the residual "surface charge" often gives an initial reading of 13+. A few minutes with a load on it (even a light bulb) should rid the surface charge and show the actual resting voltage.

You could try another battery with the converter. Borrow one from your car and hook it up and see what the converter does. 30 minutes with a light DC load should tell you whether the converter is charging or not. Plugged to shore power, of course.

Tags
converter