Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2014, 07:26 AM   #1

Magnetic door switch question.

I'm tacking down a KwiKee step problem and was wondering if the magnetic door switch was the problem.

Is it common that these switches go bad?

Why would my coach have two magnetic switches? I can understand one to operate the steps but I know of not other light or function for the second switch.

Appreciate any help,

Robby
Iowa

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2014, 08:08 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not sure why two switches. My 99 only has one switch

Did to go to their website and see if you can find a wiring diagram for your setup?

Old 09-20-2014, 08:34 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I can only suggest you double check the two wires connected to the switch. If either one of them is loose (or broken) the steps will act eratically, or fully extend while driving down the road, which mine has done twice. Mowed a lot of road-side grass......
Old 09-20-2014, 08:47 AM   #4

Switches can go bad. A short somewhere will fry them quickly.
Had mine fail for that reason.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:58 AM   #5

My 2005 has only one switch. Never heard of two.

Use a small hand magnet to check out switch. My magnet-to-switch got out of alignment due to the screen door being closed onto a carpet runner and required some rebending of the lower screen door hinge.

If you end up replacing the switch, use care with the part numbers. I believe Kwickee had a change at some point from normally open to normally closed.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfpgb View Post
Not sure why two switches. My 99 only has one switch

Did to go to their website and see if you can find a wiring diagram for your setup?
I'll give that a go but I'm afraid it might be a dead-end as my coach is a National and they've been out of business for a few years now.

Robby
Old 09-20-2014, 11:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
I can only suggest you double check the two wires connected to the switch. If either one of them is loose (or broken) the steps will act eratically, or fully extend while driving down the road, which mine has done twice. Mowed a lot of road-side grass......
Mine mysteriously quit in the out position while at the Firestone tire center getting new tires. I wonder if they may have stepped on it while it was trying to extend.

Wires are all good, motor works and board is good.

Robby
Old 09-20-2014, 12:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by countdemonet View Post
My 2005 has only one switch. Never heard of two.

Use a small hand magnet to check out switch. My magnet-to-switch got out of alignment due to the screen door being closed onto a carpet runner and required some rebending of the lower screen door hinge.

If you end up replacing the switch, use care with the part numbers. I believe Kwickee had a change at some point from normally open to normally closed.
I tried the magnet but it may not have been strong enough and may need to do both switches at the same time. The door magnets are in proper alignment and strong.

Robby
Old 09-20-2014, 12:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
Switches can go bad. A short somewhere will fry them quickly.
Had mine fail for that reason.
What about jumping the switch?

Robby
Old 09-20-2014, 12:14 PM   #10

First lets break this down 2 switch's can be a couple reasons one being that Kwikee changed their sw wiring years ago and went from normally open to normally closed switches. So if the previous owner swapped boxes they had to swap the switch as well some companies had also use the step switch for other things like a interior light that would come on when you opened the door. so the old switch may have been left for that and a second one installed. All Kwikee steps use the same wiring code but there are some changes in how they wired them. You have a 4 wire harness with red yellow brown and white wires. And a large green wire to Ground it that is separate from them. The red wire is non switched 25amp power the yellow wire is 12v from the ign switch the white wire is from the step switch and can be wired as hot is on or hot is off depending on the control box. The Brown wire is your door switch which goes to the magnetic switch this also can be wired 2 ways depending on the control module. In some grounding the brown wire makes the steps go out in some it makes them go in.

I wish I could say why they kept changing the design but the only answer I have is the engineers needed to do something to keep their jobs LOL.

So you need 12v 25a power to the red wire at all times
you need a good ground to the large green wire at all times
when you turn on the ign you need power to the yellow wire
The white wire can be wired to have power to turn on or have power to turn off depending on the module.
The brown wire can be wired to have ground thru the magnetic sw to open the steps or to close the steps again depending on the module. The magnetic sw has 2 small wires one goes to the brown wire on the controller one goes to ground it must be a good clean ground. If you wire it up and the step runs backwards you have the wrong magnetic sw.

Hopefully that helps
Jim
Old 09-20-2014, 12:50 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Magnetic door switch question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby W. View Post
Mine mysteriously quit in the out position while at the Firestone tire center getting new tires. I wonder if they may have stepped on it while it was trying to extend.

Wires are all good, motor works and board is good.

Robby
Hope you find a fix.

Good luck.

Cheers!
Old 09-20-2014, 01:28 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Though rare, the switches can indeed fail

Why would it have two?

How old is the coach?

Early Kwikee steps (Not sure when they changed but believe it was 200x where x is less than 5) the switch worked one way,, I forget if "Door closed switch closed" or the other way around.

The control box was a retangle.. 4 sides, each pair was parallel to the opposite side.

Then they changed, upgraded the control box to a new one,, This new box is a trapizoid (4 sides, two are parallel, one is perpendicular to those two 4th side is "Slanted" Looks almost triangular in fact.

This box, works the other way around (IF the first was Door closed switch closed than this one is door closed switch open)

NOTE: I do not remember which is which (i have a way of finding out but it requires I crawl under the RV and it's been raining enough today that my phone went off with an emergency alert so I'm not crawling in wet grass)

IF the controller was updated, they would have had to put in a new switch.
Old 09-21-2014, 06:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mainiac View Post
First lets break this down 2 switch's can be a couple reasons one being that Kwikee changed their sw wiring years ago and went from normally open to normally closed switches. So if the previous owner swapped boxes they had to swap the switch as well some companies had also use the step switch for other things like a interior light that would come on when you opened the door. so the old switch may have been left for that and a second one installed. All Kwikee steps use the same wiring code but there are some changes in how they wired them. You have a 4 wire harness with red yellow brown and white wires. And a large green wire to Ground it that is separate from them. The red wire is non switched 25amp power the yellow wire is 12v from the ign switch the white wire is from the step switch and can be wired as hot is on or hot is off depending on the control box. The Brown wire is your door switch which goes to the magnetic switch this also can be wired 2 ways depending on the control module. In some grounding the brown wire makes the steps go out in some it makes them go in.

I wish I could say why they kept changing the design but the only answer I have is the engineers needed to do something to keep their jobs LOL.

So you need 12v 25a power to the red wire at all times
you need a good ground to the large green wire at all times
when you turn on the ign you need power to the yellow wire
The white wire can be wired to have power to turn on or have power to turn off depending on the module.
The brown wire can be wired to have ground thru the magnetic sw to open the steps or to close the steps again depending on the module. The magnetic sw has 2 small wires one goes to the brown wire on the controller one goes to ground it must be a good clean ground. If you wire it up and the step runs backwards you have the wrong magnetic sw.

Hopefully that helps
Jim

Thanks Jim, I'll be going out after breakfast with my multi-tester. I'll let you know what I find.

Robby
Old 09-21-2014, 06:46 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Though rare, the switches can indeed fail

Why would it have two?

How old is the coach?

Early Kwikee steps (Not sure when they changed but believe it was 200x where x is less than 5) the switch worked one way,, I forget if "Door closed switch closed" or the other way around.

The control box was a retangle.. 4 sides, each pair was parallel to the opposite side.

Then they changed, upgraded the control box to a new one,, This new box is a trapizoid (4 sides, two are parallel, one is perpendicular to those two 4th side is "Slanted" Looks almost triangular in fact.

This box, works the other way around (IF the first was Door closed switch closed than this one is door closed switch open)

NOTE: I do not remember which is which (i have a way of finding out but it requires I crawl under the RV and it's been raining enough today that my phone went off with an emergency alert so I'm not crawling in wet grass)

IF the controller was updated, they would have had to put in a new switch.
2007 National Tropi Cal and it has the trapezoid control box. That make's me think that the second magnetic switch was installed from the factory for some other function. I wouldn't think that the step would need a second for switch for any reason.

Robby

Tags
door