Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2013, 02:16 PM   #1

Maintenance and keeping your coach in top shape

I have seen many posts with owners complaining about the maintenance expense of diesel units and poor quality by the manufactures. My point of view is its just like any other home. It needs constant care and updating.

My current stick and mortar house is 11 years old. Since building it new , we have replaced the washer and dryer, put pavers on the back patio due to the pool deck cracking, remodeled the pool and re-screened the enclosure with new screen panels. Remodeled the main bathroom due to a leak under the vanity, replaced the central heating and air conditioning unit, new ice maker in the refrigerator and repainted the house inside and out. We have spent about $ 35,000 just keeping this place in top shape. Not to mention updating all the televisions to HD and the furniture as needed.

I think a nice coach is just like a stick house .. It needs maintenance, constant care, and upgrading. Things wear out and other things become out dated. If you are going to full time in your coach, I say treat it like your home. Fix the little things when they break or wear out. Take care of the coach in general, it will last you a long time and give you years of satisfaction and enjoyment. IMO, I think when you buy a nice DP coach, you should also plan on about $3000.00 a year (average) in maintenance and repair cost if you take pride in your home and plan on keeping it nice... I know it a deprecating asset, but its home and it mobile!. I'm not saying this to fire anyone up, just sharing my opinion.

How does you RV maintenance expense compare to your old stick house?
Iwillbeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2013, 02:56 PM   #2

Well I only spend a few months in the sticks and travel a lot in the Dynasty so it gets more attention like tv, antennas, mifi antenna, steam cleaning the ceramic tile. Because it gets lived in more.
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:30 PM   #3

We have no S&B. But everything we were spending to keep it up and running is now paying for everything we are doing as fulltimers.

Things that will never touch my hands:
Snow shovel
Lawn mower
Paint brush
Real estate tax bill
Etc
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
We have no S&B. But everything we were spending to keep it up and running is now paying for everything we are doing as fulltimers.

Things that will never touch my hands:
Snow shovel
Lawn mower
Paint brush
Real estate tax bill
Etc
I like your style!
Iwillbeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:37 PM   #5

To OP! Well said . I have had two major water leaks in my S&B, new frig, bathroom remodel, and now DW redoing the Great Room and new Kitchen Cabinets all in past year. That sure was a lot more than the repairs and maint to the 2002 Dutchstar. The coach new and house were within 100,000 of each other in price 11 years ago but the house is way more expensive and you can't drive it anywhere!
Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:43 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
But

Most of the time a house does not depreciate. And definitely not 30% the day you move in!
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
Most of the time a house does not depreciate. And definitely not 30% the day you move in!
I see your point. But....

Hey, when I added up all I spent on everything, from upkeep to taxes to mulching to mower gas, I'm well ahead out here on the road.

There are many things that will never touch my hands again....

There is math in them thar hills.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:42 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
In our area there has been no appreciation with the value of houses for quite some time. They have not depreciated like a MH but it is still not at all as it once was. I think it is important to just do what you are able to while you still can and not fret about the future.
conmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:10 PM   #9

Iwillbeit - My experience is that a motor home requires a lot more fixing costs than a house of similar age. When you add in regular expenses of a house like taxes, utilities, and so on a house becomes far more expensive. But motor homes go down the road and get banged up so expensive stuff breaks. A new-newer house have far fewer things that need replacement or fixing.

Our motor home is newer than our house by 3 years and last spring I had to replace the turbo intercooler unit that cracked plus a few more motor related items. $8,000. I have not spent a total of $8,000 fixing things on our 1999 house. And it is 3,300 sq foot.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:41 AM   #10

Based upon last real estate crisis most everyone in country suffered devaluation in real estate. Hopefully values in real estate will come back but the individual will have to wait . We have all learned that any asset is subject to depreciation based upon the last 5 years. I will say that the smiles per dollar are greater in the coach than in the house. Upkeep is necessary with any asset and the house so far has been more expensive.
Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:09 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Our MH is in the shop right now having the drivers side large flat floor slideout repaired. The forward edge is dragging on the carpet due to it somehow sagging in the front. The estimate is up to $2500 right now

Everything in perspective though. Just got our school tax bill for the S&B house. More than double the price for the RV repairs. And what do we get for that? Nothing, no kids in school. When we get the MH back at least I can say "look it was expensive but it is fixed". Then we can go to a local fast food place to buy a burger from a high school kid that couldn't make change without the register telling them how much it is.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:35 AM   #12

A perspective:

The S&B was 1700 SF on 1/3 acre in the country with low real estate taxes.
Without any repairs, mulching, mowing, etc, our average monthly cash-flow out just to keep it running was $2175.

Our average monthly cash-out total for all of our expenses while F/T, is under $2700. This includes EVERYTHING! Yep, we still have $ to save or BLOW!

I know folks who pay that in real estate taxes!

For those that have an RV and S&B, this thread means little as you are paying both.

Happy Trails folks.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:36 AM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
1995 MH. 1997 House.

In the last 12 months, the value on the house has increased/recovered $75,000.

In the last 12 months the MH depreciated @$5,000.

We spend more maintaining the house than the MH.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:04 PM   #14

We have both stick and rolling home only because we have not been able to sell stick house. Sure wish we could join the MH only group, as we have no desire to own both since we spend all our time in the MH.