Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2016, 09:23 PM   #15

Less than 5,000 miles a year, go gas. Anymore, go diesel.
Eaglesview is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2016, 09:25 AM   #16

Much also depends upon the complexity of the specific DP you are considering. More sophisticated chassis, can provide more opportunity to help the economy over the years ahead! For example some Monaco's Roadmaster have 8 shocks, very seldom do you find more then 4 shocks in gassers. (Yes, some gasser had assist tag's, and those would be 6 shocks. But not the norm for a gasser.)

If you don't have heavy hauling needs, but want the economy of a gasser with the quietness of a DP - you might look into the UFO based coaches with the 8.1 in the rear. 37' or 39' were the usual sizes available. IMO, the 37' should get you into most parks anywhere, regardless of advertised site size limits. Sure, maybe a few will not fit you....

Best of luck to you on your decision!
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 01:54 PM   #17

Maintenance costs of diesel vs. gasser

Roadmaster shocks are good for up to 100K miles or more. My rig has 10. 55K miles, smooth as silk.
Gassers go thru more shock replacement
On my Cummins the annual oil and filters, plus chassis lube, plus gennie service is $280 at Speedco.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:54 AM   #18

When I did my analysis I also considered the upfront additional cost on the purchase. I didn't just look at the maintenance cost. My plan is less than 10k a year in miles. I just could not justify the additional upfront cost.
Gas mileage is a little better with diesel but diesel costs more. I considered this a wash.
I planned on having maintenance mostly done by someone else. Diesel was almost 2x cost for this than a gasser.
Tires are the same for both (or close enough for me so I considered this a wash.
GVWR/GCWR was almost always higher on a diesel. For GCWR I settled on a Ford Focus so this was not an issue and considered a wash. For GVWR I struggled. I ended up adding up all the weights of "things" I wanted to take with me. Diesel won here without question but I was able to compromise on this. It's rather freeing selling stuff you wanted to keep but haven't used in 10+ years (some even more!)
Ride - Diesel edges out the gasser but not by a lot. I researched the issues and the fixes for the gasser were not expensive and achieved my goal.
Torque - no competition here. Diesel wins. The gasser will get me there though.
Purchase price - Gasser wins here by boatloads. I purchased a new gasser for about 60% of what a new diesel would have cost. So then I compared an 8 year old diesel to the new gasser. So, it was 8 year old DP or a new gasser for the same price?
New or used? New won for a number of reasons.
Warranty, total history on the coach, choice of options, newer technology, etc
So in the end it was a gasser. I am able to retire a full 2 years earlier because of a purchase of new gasser over new DP.
Should you be in a DP passing me on one of those 6% grades, wave as you go by, I will be smiling knowing I was able to get 2 years more out of retire than I would have should I have purchased a new DP.
See, it all depends on what is important to you!?!?!
Old 04-18-2016, 09:57 AM   #19

I agree with jondrew.motor homes dp or gas don't make sense at all. If you are concerned about gas mileage don't buy one. I just fill ours up and go. I get enough gas mileage to go from where I am to where I'm going.
Culpkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 12:33 PM   #20

Maintenance costs of diesel vs. gasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
1. My plan is less than 10k a year in miles.

2. I planned on having maintenance mostly done by someone else. Diesel was almost 2x cost for this than a gasser.

3. Tires are the same for both (or close enough for me so I considered this a wash.

4. Ride - Diesel edges out the gasser but not by a lot. I researched the issues and the fixes for the gasser were not expensive and achieved my goal.

5. Purchase price - Gasser wins here by boatloads. I purchased a new gasser for about 60% of what a new diesel would have cost. So then I compared an 8 year old diesel to the new gasser. So, it was 8 year old DP or a new gasser for the same price?

New or used? New won for a number of reasons.

6. Should you be in a DP passing me on one of those 6% grades, wave as you go by, I will be smiling knowing I was able to get 2 years more out of retire than I would have should I have purchased a new DP.
You made a good list. I'm gonna throw you 4 years of fulltime experience plus over 25 years of RVing all over the country.

1. I do about 6 to 8K miles per year fulltime on the motorhome. About 18K miles/year on the toad just exploring. Our stays vary from overnight to 2 months. After you get out of vacation mode, you may slow down a bit.
2. My diesel/generator service is $280 per year at Speedco. They made it even up!
3. Gasser wins on tire cost, but the diff is only about $25/month.
4. I had 3 rough riders and now a DP. The ride difference is more than substantial, as different as an old Jeep vs a Buick. Test drive an 8 or 10 air bag DP. Lights will come on for you, and your teeth will stay put and dishes won't chatter.
5. A real good DP at 7 years old will out ride and out last a gas rig. It's the build. I bought my 42 with tag at 5 years old for a song I didn't even know the words to.
6. All tires age out at 7 years. Gassers won't get 2 more.
Just my view from the saddle
Best wishes

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 05:25 PM   #21

Well Computerguy must have an out dated computer because diesel fuel is about a dollar less per gallon then regular gasoline. LOL!!
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 05:39 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChez1 View Post
Well Computerguy must have an out dated computer because diesel fuel is about a dollar less per gallon then regular gasoline. LOL!!
Awwww, now you went and hurt my feelings

Maybe where you live but certainly not where I live

See below. .46 more for diesel That's over 23% more for diesel than gas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2061.PNG
Views:	126
Size:	207.2 KB
ID:	124526  
Old 04-18-2016, 05:43 PM   #23

Freightliner Owners Club
Interesting because some friends and I just had this conversation. Which is cheaper and easier to maintain. We all agree we love the DP for what it offers. Ride, comfort, power, and longevity.
Ghostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 05:54 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChez1 View Post

It's the same price here give or take a few cents either way .
So gas here is 1.87. Your saying diesel is 1.00 less per gallon ?
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 05:55 PM   #25

It seems that maintenance costs are basically the same either way between the 2, big difference being actual repair costs .
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:35 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside454 View Post
It seems that maintenance costs are basically the same either way between the 2, big difference being actual repair costs .
Some similar some not similar

Oil change in gas is $50-$100 vs $200-$300+ in a DP

Other wearable items like tires, fuel, etc will all be similar between the two.

Unscheduled repairs that are engine related are more in a DP

For me the increase in yearly service isn't the issue or the possibility of diesel fuel costing more depending on where I am..... It's the unscheduled maintenance and other major engine repairs that have me concerned with the DP. I am still going to get one...
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 12:03 AM   #27

That is correct! Diesel here in Barstow, Ca is 2.17 per gallon at Food for Less Stores with gas stations. Gasoline has jumped like .30 cents in the last three weeks because of the summer blend they say. So now it is around 3.45 per gallon.
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 12:08 AM   #28

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
We bought a gas powered MH for several reasons but one of them was the fact that I can do all my own maintenance. The chassis maintenance is really no difference than a car. Two oil changes a year, cost me $45 to do my self, and lube. Gets me under the MH to check everything else out. Our Canyon Star, drives great, has plenty of power, has a smooth ride, tracks well and does not get pushed around by wind or big trucks. Our floorplan works great for us with the bath and a half, and two slides. The actual maintenance of the MH part should be little difference between gas or diesel.
I have done and still do the routing maintenance on our diesel rigs (I'm 69 now). Not much different than any other RV or car other than more fluids and bigger filters.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance, diesel, gas