Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2012, 09:36 AM   #15

With the way warranty companies try to get out of paying, I'm going to take digital pictures of my speedo with the receipt for the oil/filters below it.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2012, 10:06 AM   #16

I don't keep any records. What's the value? Future sales? Have you ever not bought a used RV because the owner had no records? IMO, keeping extensive maintenance records is "feel good" stuff. I don't even keep mpg records on my MH or car. It is what it is and I can't do anything about it.

Jim E

Old 03-12-2012, 10:19 AM   #17

Pairajays, if you had a warranty company that wanted signed/verifiable receipts, it would be to your advantage to keep them.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:26 AM   #18

I made an Excel spread sheet for the cars, motorhome, generator and even the riding mower.
The value in this knowing what oil I used, how many quarts, the part number of the filters, oil and gas and the last time I did it. When I run across part numbers for things like radiator hoses and belts I put that on the spread sheet also.
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:39 AM   #19

I keep records similar to "hawgguy" but store them in a three ring binder with separators for each major piece of equipment. This system stores all records in a single place. works for me!!!

07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:47 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by garym114 View Post
I made an Excel spread sheet for the cars, motorhome, generator and even the riding mower.
The value in this knowing what oil I used, how many quarts, the part number of the filters, oil and gas and the last time I did it. When I run across part numbers for things like radiator hoses and belts I put that on the spread sheet also.
I have a Word document for stuff like that. All my documents, pics, etc are backed up on at least 3 laptops and a DVD in my fireproof safe.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:20 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by toadog View Post
I am a bit lazy,I like to put everything in order to the date. I have a diary of my daily work and keep all recites as they happen.
+1 That is how I do it. I use a legal pad and list the date, milage/hours, the repair or maintance that was done and keep the recipts in a envelope. I list everything from minor repair and maintance to any big things as well. I had a Boat for 19 yrs and compiled a bunch of pages. It is easy to look back and see what was done each year. It is all in cronologic order. When I sold the boat it was easy to show the maintance and repairs were done and how often.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:35 PM   #22

I keep mine in a spiral bound log book. It slides nicely alongside my driver seat in it's own little compartment. I log mileage and fuel purchases, destinations and impressions of camp site (amazing how many times over the past 20 years we continue to return to the same locations). I log separately the mechanical maintenance and a separate household maintenance section. I seem to always refer to the log book for various reasons including the last time something was serviced or repaired and the cost as well as for my mileage calculations. The logging each evening gives me something to do.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:40 PM   #23

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
I keep mine all up here (taps forehead). Mind like a steel..... er.... what were we talking about?
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:57 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The weakest pencil is better then the strongest mind.

Old history teacher of mine would say that.
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:03 PM   #25

We keep a very detailed log that incudes all maintenance, improvements, trips, accomodations, fuel mileage, contacts we meet along the way, etc. I developed an EXCEL spreadsheet where we keep all of our information. Works for us. If anyone is interested, I can email them a blank copy.

Jim

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:58 PM   #26

I keep a log/diary type book in the overhead, driverside. I log the trip, number of nights, where, expense, review of CG, miles or destination, fuel used for whole trip and another review if we had fun or not. At the beginning of each camping year in the same notebook I start a log for expenses on rig, fuel purchased for season and any other expense incurred maintenance wise, should as purchase new toilet, July, 2011, AdventureNet, $145. Works for me.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:41 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Just purchased a used unit, and had no idea of the service record. After I serviced it, I created my own record which I will update as needed. Being a retired Army maintance tech that what I have done for years.
Am convinced it will mean something when or if it is resold.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:54 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
I do as twirtcabal and keep a hand-written log book that includes all repairs, costs, etc plus info on when and for how long I operate generator and under what load. Also all miles diven on various outings as well as fuel used and mpg etc.. I also make copies of all bills and invoices, those things I do myself and the ones I pay someone else to do. Since I have extended service provider, these may be needed to provide proof of proper service when I have to file a claim. Record keeping can be tedious but it helps you remember when and what needs routine service, but then everyone to his/her own ideas.

Tags
maintenance