Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2018, 08:14 AM   #99

aaaaaaa wfffqfqfqd qwwdqwqw kh f f iuwhee
w'le;j uwe e
we'wkkeg WWE
kf:banghea d:
YUP
CF-104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2018, 08:19 AM   #100

sorry for previous --- this topic hits way to close to home.

how do these people survive ..... I'm sure they get home and say " wow you should have seen this huge crash" ..... YA cause you caused it.

Solution is / really is ..... computer driven vehicles for those that can't drive .... NOW how we get to that point ... I don't know. almost all the time (get angry some times .... cool down ... drive defensively). BUT I have invested in a quality Dash Cam (Thinkware F800 + 64 GB ram).

bibfy asyufvas vfavsash uc7 - there I go again.

I drive defensively
Old 06-27-2018, 08:25 AM   #101

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CF-104 View Post
aaaaaaa wfffqfqfqd qwwdqwqw kh f f iuwhee
w'le;j uwe e
we'wkkeg WWE
kf:banghea d:
YUP
Whatever that means.

Here's a couple more Cooperisms.

Truckers are out there working. That's how they make a living. Coming up on a big hill they need to build up speed or momentum for the pull. Don't block them in behind slower traffic so that can't do that.

Try to remember that the driver who just cut you off could probably be someones Wife, Daughter, young Son, ect. and is really nervous about driving in high speed traffic. Give them a break just like you would like to see if they were yours.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 08:28 AM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Actually ran into that particular driver on I-95 in Georgia. As I said, a lot of drivers were slowing down to let him move over into the right lane.

I see both good and bad drivers in upstate NY. The closer I get to NYC or Boston the worse they get.
Lol , called "MASSHOLES" for a reason !

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
maxjr758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 08:33 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post

Try to remember that the driver who just cut you off could probably be someones Wife, Daughter, young Son, ect. and is really nervous about driving in high speed traffic. Give them a break just like you would like to see if they were yours.

Sorry ... they are a HAZARD on the road, learn to drive OR get off the road (get a Tesla and let it drive). About 5 years ago " a new driver ..... stopped on the [I believe 40 - major Hwy in Quebec] so she wouln't run over an animal in the roadway ... the 2 [father / son] on the MC behind her were killed. She was charged with negligence cause death - and found guilty,,, as she should have been.

Learn to drive.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:44 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny1 View Post
I’m one of those ‘Morons’ who will travel through a city/metropolitan area in the center lane, or 2nd lane in from the right. I’ve had far far far too many close calls when vehicles merge in front of me with literally 3 feet (and that’s being generous) between us, and then they slow down while trying to look for an opening in the next lane, while I’m hitting my brakes. It’s just isn’t worth the stress and frustration to stay in the right lane when there’s several on ramps.

The last few days driving around Memphis on the interstates I’ve made the observation that 90% of semi trucks are traveling in the center lane. That’s all the proof I need about the best lane to travel in.

Also, I’ve never in the past 20 years ever had cars in the right lane slow down for me to move over while I’m in the center lane. Even if I turn my signal on to move over it’s quite some time until someone will actually slow down to let me in.
Driving in the center lane also allows the driver to merge into highway splits, as the center lane most often allows you to merge onto either Route. This in turn lessens the amount of merging Traffic at the interchange
Was taught that years ago in a Truck Driving Course. Positioning a larger, less manuverable vehicle in the center lane, allows , smaller, more manuverable vehicles lanes to negotiate traffic .
It's all a symptom of the me first mentality, and distracted driving.
Just keep your head, and eyes moving and be prepared for anything!

Old 06-27-2018, 08:50 AM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Slowing down is considered a bad practice as it changes the dynamics of the merge. Any competent driver will be looking at the hole behind you that you close by slowing down or assume they can accelerate enough to get in front of you. That is why current training is to just maintain speed and let the other guy figure it out.
[emoji106] YES! FINALLY SOMEONE GETS IT !
But you do have to slow occasionally to keep from killing some IDIOT!

Old 06-27-2018, 01:27 PM   #106

Today merging onto Hwy 7 (80 kph / 50 mph) LONG merge lane and the idiot does what ....

I'll U/L the video clip.

and YES there was / is plenty of room / time to safely merge.

Language warning
Attached Files
Old 06-27-2018, 01:59 PM   #107

Quote:
Today merging onto Hwy 7 (80 kph / 50 mph) LONG merge lane and the idiot does what ....

I'll U/L the video clip.

and YES there was / is plenty of room / time to safely merge.

Language warning
I burst out laughing.

I turned off the sound on my dash cam so no one could hear me...sing.....

Living around Atlanta people routinely slow down and/or stop on the on-ramps to highways. Since I-85 is my main route and the people in the right lane are going 80 MPH, getting up to speed is critical. I use my horn ALL THE TIME. This is in my car so if it startles them so be it. At least it made them press on the gas pedal.

The new "Hands-Free" law starts here in GA on Sunday. Will add an interesting dimension to the driving experience.
Old 06-27-2018, 04:35 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxjr758 View Post
Driving in the center lane also allows the driver to merge into highway splits, as the center lane most often allows you to merge onto either Route. This in turn lessens the amount of merging Traffic at the interchange
Was taught that years ago in a Truck Driving Course. Positioning a larger, less manuverable vehicle in the center lane, allows , smaller, more manuverable vehicles lanes to negotiate traffic .
It's all a symptom of the me first mentality, and distracted driving.
Just keep your head, and eyes moving and be prepared for anything!

Taught by my Dad when I started driving and again in a OTR Driver program to keep your eyes moving in a clockwise pattern: straight ahead, right rear mirror, dash guages, hwy, left mirror, road in front and around again. Hasn't failed me in 45 years and over 3 mil miles. Stay safe!
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 04:46 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckanddian View Post
Be careful, the in state of Illinois the vehicle in the on ramp has the right of way. This may be outdated info but 20 years ago it was in effect, it was the only question on the written licence exam I got wrong. I couldn't believe they would do that!
Nope, does not have right of way. Merging in to a lane of travel you need to adjust your speed to match the speed of the traffic you're merging into.

Big advantage of center lane travel is you have more escape routes to avoid a accident, also you're not having to adjust speed or having to move over to the center lane to adjust for merging or exiting traffic. The less changes in lane and speed the safer you are.
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 05:34 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogus View Post
The new "Hands-Free" law starts here in GA on Sunday. Will add an interesting dimension to the driving experience.
That will be a tough law for most of the younger (even some older) drivers who are addicted to social media. Also the people that can't drive unless they are talking to someone.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 05:48 AM   #111

Quote:
Solution is / really is ..... computer driven vehicles for those that can't drive ....
I can see it now. The Windows computer next to the defense attorney while the Mac is on the witness stand! Who will win?!?

Can't help but imagine being in the back seat at 70mph and seeing the blue screen of death coming up on the front seat display!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 05:58 AM   #112

I really don't find most people to be that bad. I see many courteous drivers back off and let me change lanes when my blinkers are on. I try to be courteous as well. The trick is to be patient and courteous.[/QUOTE]

I have driven large vehicles all my life, oil trucks,RV’s with 25’ trailers behind, fire engines ....Ect.
I wholeheartedly agree with the above comment.
Patients,courtesy and may I add to this situational awareness.
In this new era of many “distracted drivers” you must pay attention to everyone & everything always. I think the last statement is what has kept me alive after driving motorcycles for over 50 years all over this country and overseas.
timekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote