RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2018, 06:46 PM   #1

Major accident with my RV

First off, everyone is OK. I personally barely felt the impacts but her car tells a very different story. She's fortunate to have walked away.

I was traveling from Freightliner (Five Star Fire) in CT - picking it up from having it serviced over the last 2.5 weeks - to Diamond RV for house service. That route is about an hour, almost entirely on 91N (generally 3 lane 65 MPH Interstate).

10 minutes into my trip, while traveling in the slow lane, I found myself next to a few cars from an onramp. This onramp shared the same lane as an offramp. It is very long. I watched the two cars the entire team ... the first one sped up and merged ahead. The other just plain didn't see me and cut into my lane (with SO MUCH room ahead to merge - there was no rush). At that point, 1/4 of her car was ahead of me. So the result was her hitting my right front bumper, which caused her car to go perpendicular to me and then I proceeded to t-bone/drag her for a very short while, and then she exited on my left, hitting the left bumper. That sent her into a spin. She spun off to the left and rear and during the spin, hit the wet bay and then hit the Wrangler I was towing. She stopped in the middle of the highway (the picture is after some folks pushed her to the left side breakdown lane).

The front bumper fared remarkably well. The wet bay door and Jeep door, not so much. Some debris from the accident pierced the inside of the wet bay (no pictures) and shredded the Jeep tire. Both vehicles were drivable (after replacing the Jeep tire .... and of course I didn't have the spare with me ... 2 hours away from home).

I proceeded to drive the RV to Diamond and added accident repair to the list. The jeep I picked up the next day (drove it home - no issues) and a few days later dropped it off at a body shop.

I felt the initial impact of course, and felt the other two impacts (including the Jeep). But I barely felt it. It reinforces my decision to drive a Class A.

The side impact to the Jeep was so severe that it ripped up the baseplate. That caused the breakaway cable to tear due to how I routed and secured it, which caused the Jeep's brakes to jam on hard. Not what I wanted under these circumstances. I'll be evaluating the cabling on re-install to think through making sure that the breakway is triggered only when there's truly a breakaway condition.

Photos in next post in a few minutes.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2018, 06:49 PM   #2

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4757.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	467.9 KB
ID:	207510

Name:	IMG_4758.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	234.1 KB
ID:	207511

Name:	IMG_4759.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	276.8 KB
ID:	207512

Name:	IMG_4760.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	261.7 KB
ID:	207513

Name:	IMG_4763.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	427.7 KB
ID:	207514

Name:	IMG_4764.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	310.9 KB
ID:	207515

Old 06-17-2018, 06:52 PM   #3

A few other photos here: Yet more problems with the New Aire, and no way to get it serviced

Also FYI the collision avoidance system didn't involve itself during the accident.
Old 06-17-2018, 06:53 PM   #4

Her car ...

Name:	IMG_4754.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	416.2 KB
ID:	207516
Old 06-17-2018, 07:09 PM   #5

My son had a similar accident in Detroit this last Fri. while stopped at a traffic light. Seems a car driven by a lady came out of a gas station and was working her way across traffic lanes to make a left turn at the light. She had pulled crossways in front of my son's longnose Freightliner bumper when the light turned green and he still couldn't see her. He T boned her car all the way across the intersection before he realized something was wrong. No one was hurt, she got a ticket, but people do the dumbest things around big rigs.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:14 PM   #6

Holy cow, glad everyone is okay. It always amazes me every time I see a crash. (Former LEO, seen way to many) with the 1% being a mechanical failure cause the wreck, the other 99% is someone doing something dumb.

Your rig held up well. I wonder why the CAS didn’t get involved.
Diesel_Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:14 PM   #7

I’m glad everyone is OK!
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:20 PM   #8

I'm glad you are OK. Looks like fairly minor damage to the RV considering what happened.

This is one of my greatest pet peeves...people (that seem to be the majority these days) that come down exit ramps and do not look at all or try to time themselves into the traffic on the freeway. While I've experienced this a lot, whether in the RV or not, the closest we came was when a lady literally came within inches of hitting us in the side as she tried to merge into the traffic lane and apparently could not see a 40' long, 13' high object was right next to her. I could not get over a lane as there was traffic on the other side of me. My wife was looking right down on her and said that suddenly she looked over and had a huge surprise on her face like "OMG...where did that huge RV come from." The lady swerved back fully into the ramp lane and slammed on her brakes.

I have no idea what these people are thinking.
NCC-1701A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:39 PM   #9

You have to drive aggressively defensive. In addition I now use a voice activated Dash Cam from Garmin.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:42 PM   #10

Sorry to see this happen to you, have had many close calls with people merging onto the highway myself. As said in a couple of posts, hard to believe people canít see something that large. Glad you are okay.

Curious if you found a body shop? There is one in CT but they only will work on Tiffin.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:44 PM   #11

From your description I was expecting to see major damage to the fiberglass bumper. What a surprise to see how minor it is. Looks like your rig basically did a "pit maneuver" on her car with the real impact coming against your compartment and Jeep. Glad no one was hurt or another innocent vehicle was involved, besides yours.

Interesting about the avoidance system not alerting you. Maybe it only works when you make the move to change lanes but, in this case, you were not inputting the steering and were hit while maintaining a straight course.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-1701A View Post
I'm glad you are OK. Looks like fairly minor damage to the RV considering what happened.

This is one of my greatest pet peeves...people (that seem to be the majority these days) that come down exit ramps and do not look at all or try to time themselves into the traffic on the freeway. While I've experienced this a lot, whether in the RV or not, the closest we came was when a lady literally came within inches of hitting us in the side as she tried to merge into the traffic lane and apparently could not see a 40' long, 13' high object was right next to her. I could not get over a lane as there was traffic on the other side of me. My wife was looking right down on her and said that suddenly she looked over and had a huge surprise on her face like "OMG...where did that huge RV come from." The lady swerved back fully into the ramp lane and slammed on her brakes.

I have no idea what these people are thinking.

You are in error assuming they are thinking.
JohnnyBuckI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:48 PM   #13

Your pics are painful to look at.I am now in the process of rigging my 2018 jeep for flat towing.Very sorry this happen to you.
purrin along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:57 PM   #14

I remember back in the 1950's there were Public Service Announcements about how to merge into traffic on the new Thruway. People learned. The PSA's were stopped so the newer generations evidently were never taught how to do it. At least it appears that way judging from the way they drive. I vote to bring back the PSA's.

nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote