Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2011, 09:39 AM   #1

Triple E Owners Club
Major electrical problems

We have major electrical problems with our 2003 Allegro.
Early this spring I reinstalled the coach batteries which had a trickle charger on them all winter. The chassis battery was dead when I went to start the unit (I had started it every 4-6 weeks over the winter and it was O.K.) Put the charger on the chassis battery and it wouldn't take a charge.
I replaced it with a new battery and everything was fine, or so I thought. A week later, I tried to start it and all the batteries were dead, boosted it and took it on a short drive and also found that the speedo didn't work! It had worked O.K. in the Fall.
Couldn't find any reason for the major draw, but I'm not an automotive electrician.
Took it to the only Ford dealer in Calgary that will work on MH. They of course put it on their diagnostic equipment and coudn't find anything and there was no draw on the chassis system. They said the batteries were probably not fully charged. They ordered a new speedo to the tune of $700.00 but it would take 2 weeks to get in.
When it came in, they went to bring in the MH to install it & the batteries were all dead. They then agreed that there may be an electrical problem. At 135.00/hr to trace.. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
jackthebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2011, 12:02 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
I am no electrician either, but here is what I would do before paying some $135 per hour.

Recharge both battery banks.

Turn the battery disconnect for each bank to the disconnect position.

Try to operate the various components run by each battery system to see if current is still reaching that component when it should be disconnected.

If all is shut down ok, turn on the chassis battery bank. Then try to operate features that would normally be run by the house battery bank.

If the house bank features work, but the house bank is "disconnected" there may be a battery isolator that has failed and the chassis battery is running the house features. (I have had this type of problem.)

If that tests ok, then reverse the disconnect status of the battery banks and test the chassis features to identify any chassis features run by the house bank.

If that test is good and the shop could not find a draw on the chassis batteries, I would suspect that the new battery was not fully charged when you installed it.

And if you stored the rig with the house batteries in the "connect" status that you lost whatever charge they had in the meantime.

The above would mean that your batteries and system are ok, but need to be fully charged and the disconnects used.

If you have already done the above, I can be of no furthur assistance.

Hope you get to a resolution.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 06:02 PM   #3

Triple E Owners Club
Major electrical problems

Thanks Dean, I'll try your suggestions. Hopefully....
Stewart
jackthebear is offline   Reply With Quote