Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2012, 04:52 AM   #141

Just a quick update:

We're done with all painting and clear coating and the team has started to put everything back on. All the new doors, lower panels and wheel wells are finished and being installed. Some of the cargo door latches were bad so a quick order was made to replace 6 of them which should arrive Thursday.

My crew is off today so were going to go up and do some house cleaning, there is a small section of carpet in the coach that needs cleaned, glass cleaned, other general cleaning chores.

We have not replaced all the lenses on the coach, I have not found them all so we replaced some. This was not a have to do now priority. Also we're not reinstalling the awnings as they need to be reupholstered to match the new color so it's pointless to install only to be removed again. This also wasn't a priority 1 fix. We're handling everything that has to be done now to make the coach serviceable, the rest can be done as we go forward and the coach can be used.

I'm hoping Friday I can get the coach out and fuel it, change the oil and filters, fill the propane tank, get the tires maybe Sat installed and take it to a local CG for a trial run. If everything seems to be up and running we're going to launch a 4-5 day mini trip around central and south FL and see how she goes.

I will send some pictures when we pull the coach outside in a few days.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2012, 09:27 AM   #142

Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Can't wait. Also when the slide show has been completed will you be posting s link?

Home base Phoenix Az
judy3972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:04 PM   #143

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchet View Post
Just a quick update:

We're done with all painting and clear coating and the team has started to put everything back on. All the new doors, lower panels and wheel wells are finished and being installed. Some of the cargo door latches were bad so a quick order was made to replace 6 of them which should arrive Thursday.

My crew is off today so were going to go up and do some house cleaning, there is a small section of carpet in the coach that needs cleaned, glass cleaned, other general cleaning chores.

We have not replaced all the lenses on the coach, I have not found them all so we replaced some. This was not a have to do now priority. Also we're not reinstalling the awnings as they need to be reupholstered to match the new color so it's pointless to install only to be removed again. This also wasn't a priority 1 fix. We're handling everything that has to be done now to make the coach serviceable, the rest can be done as we go forward and the coach can be used.

I'm hoping Friday I can get the coach out and fuel it, change the oil and filters, fill the propane tank, get the tires maybe Sat installed and take it to a local CG for a trial run. If everything seems to be up and running we're going to launch a 4-5 day mini trip around central and south FL and see how she goes.

I will send some pictures when we pull the coach outside in a few days.
Awsome! Cant wait too see the final product
Old 08-22-2012, 01:26 PM   #144

As we travel around central Florida and whenever, I will always be on the look out for your coach......."Look that's the coach j.chet put in so much labor and love into"
Thanks for the posting on your progress.....it felt like I was there working.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:12 PM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by corjaguar View Post
As we travel around central Florida and whenever, I will always be on the look out for your coach......."Look that's the coach j.chet put in so much labor and love into"
Thanks for the posting on your progress.....it felt like I was there working.
I wish you were!!
Old 08-23-2012, 10:19 AM   #146

Wow! What a great story! Thank you for the time you've taken to take us along your rebuild journey. Can't wait for you guys to get out on that shake down trip and start enjoying the love that so much labor created.
Corjaguar was there minus of course the sweat and perhaps swearing over your journey!
Old 08-23-2012, 08:40 PM   #147

2 days to launch and the crew is getting final things done in preparation and making adjustments for things were not going to complete.

While mounting the cargo doors and checking the original hardware we realized some door hardware is shot. I was able to get new handles in but realized some of the latches are bad. In an effort to get on the road for a week before the youngest returns to college were faking it. So some of the cargo doors are mounted with handles but are being secured to the frame and inoperable until we return and can get the hardware needed.

Tomorrow the crew is finishing mounting lights, lenses and the engine door rear hatch. I have it scheduled to go to our commercial truck service facility where they're going to change the oil and all the filters fuel,oil and air at noon. From there we get the propane tank filled then to the tire shop for new tires. Then she returns back to the hanger so Saturday my crew can finish hanging the rear wheel wells and any last minute things.

We have stared trying to get her cleaned up inside and prepared to go on the road. While its getting serviced and new shoes tomorrow my crew will be mounting the bracket for the Blue Ox on our Jeep Wrangler so we will keep the momentum going.

We're going to have some unfinished work we will have to deal with while on the road. Some of the lenses we wanted to replace but have not found and will have to be ordered and time is out for this week. The old ones will be mounted instead. We have tried to find a new entry handle, bought one but the shape won't work so were going with the old nasty looking one. Lots of other upgrades that we will have to address when we return.

After they get the last projects were doing at this stage done on Saturday were taking the coach to a local RV park and hook her up and do a local dry run overnight and make sure to the best of our ability that it's as ready as it can be for a week.

My guys deserve some financial bonus they have been really cranking it out this week. I have been putting a lot of pressure on them.

Now we have a tropical storm in the gulf so our original plan of leaving Central Fl and heading to the SW coast and spend a day or so in Sarasota area then across the southern Aligator Alley and spend a few days in Miami area, maybe the upper keys. After that head north to West Palm and Vero Beach and work our way home. But......the storm probably means rain and more rain so we might head up north the the Helen Ga area and stay dry. We will be watching the weather and making the call Sunday.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:55 AM   #148

Winnebago Owners Club
Would go north! We are going to be at the least wet very wet next !
Old 08-26-2012, 12:14 PM   #149

Can't wait for the next installment, and more pictures. I admire your ambition in taking on such a large project.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:26 AM   #150

Update:

We launched about 10:30PM Sat. night with the thought of making a dent in our 9 hr drive to Helen GA in the country. Our 1st leg netted about 20 miles north and a low coolant light came on and shortly after that the engine got hot. I realized I had failed to verify the coolant levels and was only with 1 GL of coolant as spare. On the side of the road I sat while I disconnected the toad and off to Walmart for more coolant.

After adding 4 GL of coolant I ran the motor and could see the coolant pumping from a metal line. The MH was probably only driven maybe 100 miles since we acquired it and most of that was Fri when we had it serviced and new tires put on.

I had it towed and they picked it up at 0500 Sunday morning. I was about 25 miles So of Wildwood Fl off of the Fl. Turnpike & I 75. Being as its a "truck stop town" I decided to send the MH their rather then tow it back to the hanger. I knew this town would have 24 hr diesel repair and my only shot on getting it repaired on a Sunday.

By 1 PM they had replaced a rusted through metal coolant line and we were off. Unfortunately I had not had any sleep but I was so anxious to get going I forged ahead and made it 6.5 hrs just So of Atlanta where we stopped at a RV park for a night of rest.

We seem to have another problem develope involving either the alternator or belt. The voltage dropped as the day wore on and was drawing maybe 5-8 V by the time I stopped. I suspect driving with running lights and in the evening lhead lights added to the draw. We connected to 50 Amp power for the night so I hope we can sort it out today.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:13 AM   #151

Sorry to hear about your shakedown trip troubles. So far you have only minor issues so hopefully all of the major components like the engine and transmission will be fine. One thing caught my attention and that is your coolant selection at Walmart. I don't believe that they carry the recommended coolant for diesels. The shop that fixed the rusted line probably flushed the system and took care of that. You can just add water in a pinch and distilled water is recommended. Good luck with your alternator and the rest of your trip.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:56 AM   #152

Knock on wood to good fortunes for the rest of the trip!
Old 08-27-2012, 09:40 AM   #153

Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Keep us posted as to your status, pictures too.
Home base Phoenix Az
judy3972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:19 PM   #154

Settling In:

We made it to our final destination, Creekwood RV Resort near Unicoi State Park and Helen GA. Excellent park, very friendly staff and a super clean place. Having no experience in MH or RV parks I have sort of figured out some places are destination resorts and others are RV parks with many live in RV's such as where we stayed Sunday night in route to this place.

Everything worked great getting here we had no issues other then I was unable to get the leveling system to work. I realized I'm clueless in getting set up, I left with a full tank of water then hooked up to the city water with my 50' hose and 50' cable. Today I went and bought a 10' hose and cable so things look cleaner.

Here are some updated photos and some requested before and after shots.

BEFORE

AFTER

BEFORE

BEFORE

AFTER

Ok sorry gotta show the dogs relaxing!