Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2012, 10:14 PM   #15

Jchet - you are one talented dood!!!!!! That kind of a project would scar the S^*& out of me.

Not wanting to get too personal, but I love to know your total investment in this "redo."

Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2012, 02:20 PM   #16

Need some advice

All of the lower doors and panels have wood rot and are not serviceable. This was the main reason our initial investment in this motorhome was so low. The MH had only the original owner prior to our buying it from a MH dealer here in FL.

It seems the original owner lost interest in the coach and it sat on his property for years unused but on or near a sprinkler system that for years has rotted the basement panels and doors. In addition to this the years of not caring for the gelcoat resulted in my decision to repaint the coach.

That being said we have been holding out on solutions to replacing or rebuilding the side panels and doors. I have a restoration company that is well respected in the Orlando area that has had 2 of the doors now for a few weeks and called with what he estimates is about 3 hours to remanufacture each door on average.

The exterior visible side is a thin fiberglass skin, the inside is a sheet metal skin, and the outside edges are a thin metal track. Looking at them all the skins could all be reused, the hardware is all there it only needs the core replaced.

Their labor rate is $100 an hour so the cost would be $300 plus material per door so figure $400. With 12 doors and 3 wheel wells its going to be $6000 plus to have them made. I'm not so sure we could not also take on this project. I think my plan is to have him remake 1 door, then pay him to advise us on the process.

Perhaps nieve but it looks like you could take (2) 1/2" marine plywood pieces and have them glued together to the thickness of the current core. Using some sort of epoxy glue the fiberglass skin and the sheet metal skin to the core and attach the outside edge molding. Cut the holes in the core prior for the hardware and reassemble, paint, and hang. I'm sure not that easy but looking at the doors it doesn't look that complicated.

Has anyone done this type of work before or does anyone have another idea we have not thought about???

Thanks

Jchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:33 PM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
I would redo them myself.. Since you are painting, you could make the outside skin anything you wished, including Gavanneal which would be much stronger and never warp as you would throw away the 'trim' pieces and simply wrap the metal around the core.. Come to think of it, you could then use a foam core with the current fiberglass front skins used as a back skin/panel/cover instead.. Butyl'd in, the doors would always be water tight.. which is what they should have been... And lighter...
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:42 PM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Galvannealed - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 05-01-2012, 05:24 PM   #19

jchet, You might want to talk to the folks at Visone in Kentucky. They have a large salvage yard of RV's. I stopped in last February on my way to Florida and they really have a lot of units there and many of them had good, usable lower compartment doors. Unfortunately they were hit by a tornado shortly after my visit and sustained some damage but I think they have recovered and are back in business. They may have doors to fit your coach and save you the problems of trying to make replacements. Just a thought!! You are doing great on your coach and I will be anxious to see how it progresses as you do more to it! Keep up the good work! Here's a link to Visone's website: RV Salvage Motorhomes - Parting Out Used RV Parts Repair and Accessories | Visone RV, Rebuildable Auto Motorhome Insurance RV Salvage Parts, Repairable Wrecks, Used RV Parts Monaco, Prevost, Allegro Holiday Rambler, Alfa , visonerv.com
Old 05-02-2012, 06:19 PM   #20

Still no primer but dodged a bullet today!

We were getting the last few masking tasks done and I decided to remove a track of molding down the sides of the MH. This molding track in addition to holding the rub rail also has a track that the basement doors secure to.

I decided rather then tape and mask it off to remove it from both sides. We then discovered dry rotted wood in several places down the side. Looking from the underneath of the coach looking up it appeared to be sheets of plywood with fiberglass laminated over it much in the same construction as the doors. My heart sank and I thought we were done, ready to light her on fire and call it a day.

Upon further investigation it was 2x2 strips of marine ply butted up to a steel track above and bolted into another metal beam inside. We chiseled out all the rotted wood and bought aluminum replacements which we will install tomorrow. The new pieces fit right back into the area where the rotted wood was removed and gets new SS screws securing it. When complete we will then reattach the track when we're done painting. This will make it a much more structurally sound setup when it's done.

But........I sure thought we were done today. So, maybe we can get a coat of primer laid down tomorrow.
Jchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:44 PM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Dont you wish they would have made it that way to begin with?
Old 05-03-2012, 02:09 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Dont you wish they would have made it that way to begin with?
Had the same experience with a large sailboat refit I did. I was amazed at some of the cheap construction techniques used to construct a vessel that could and would be sailed in deap ocean thousands of miles from home. At least with the MH we can pull over. The boat was a real safety issue. That refit I was changing hoses, fittings, valves, sea cocks whether they needed it or not.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:08 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Your fix with the delamination is what I have done in the past with great success, west system is the best I have found, I have it on hand at all times. I have done many paint jobs including the Awlgrip. [my sailboat]. Flag blue then clear coated several times. It's a great paint, as you know just have a good respirator, that catalyst will do a number on your lungs. You've got a project on your hands but you have a great place to do the work in and I wish you all the best. Visiones cost on lower doors were around $400. the last time I checked, a good company, if you call try for a package price for all the doors you need, maybe they'll give you a deal. I have nine spray guns and for me I like the hvlp guns, they do save on paint usage. If you need any help or have questions just PM me and I'll be glad to help. Good luck and I'll follow your progress.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:45 AM   #24

I too am very interested in your work as I have been restoring an o2 Discovery that needs paint bad!!!! I wish I had the space you have to paint your rig, so nice!!!
Dave
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:15 PM   #25

Still no primer but getting close

It was mostly a day of getting the wood replaced that was rotten, I think between yesterday and today we have about 8 hrs labor in that alone. But we got all the boards inserted in the walls and bolted into the metal so its good to go.

We finished what masking needed to be done, removed the air horns, tried taping down the sides were the roof and sides join. I had used a product called Plas-t-kote on the rubber roof. It worked very well but now the masking tape wont adhere to the roof so we can mask it off. The tape just peels right off, tried blue tape, frog tape, in the end I decided to run duct tape around the edge on the roof to hold the paper in place. If its still there in the AM then thats what it will be. I suppose when we get done shooting the primer and paint I will have to re-coat the edges around the roof from the duct tape marks. Not sure what else to do, were sending too much time taping, retaping, so duct taped the paper down we can always recover the roof edges with the Plas-t-koat.

So were only 3 days behind schedule so not to bad!!!
Old 05-04-2012, 04:25 PM   #26

Now its looking like a space ship

Got the first coat of primer on the unit today, this was using Awlgrip 545 primer and used no reducer. This was shot with a 1.7 nozzle using a cheap Harbor Freight gun. Saving the high dollar gun for the top coat paint. This was just under 2 gallons of product mixed to complete the entire MH.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:35 PM   #27

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to stearn
I enjoy following your project!

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:46 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearn View Post
I enjoy following your project!
Thank you, I'm having fun doing this. My employee has been an amazing point man in doing this. He has a lot more knowledge and skill in doing this then I do. He has experiance auto painting but has great skill in building, electrical, plumbing and mechanical.