Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2012, 08:47 PM   #113
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Man, after all that prep and to have that happen!

Sorry to hear!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2012, 09:39 PM   #114

Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Any chance that the company will eat part of the costs for the additional paint,defective product? Or is their position that it is all your fault? It's a principle thing but regrettably you still have to do the work over. Hopefully this time it will go right. Don't forget pictures.

Home base Phoenix Az
judy3972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:25 PM   #115

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It is hard to hear this news, but in the end it will good great. Good luck on the new color.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:47 AM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by judy3972 View Post
Any chance that the company will eat part of the costs for the additional paint,defective product? Or is their position that it is all your fault? It's a principle thing but regrettably you still have to do the work over. Hopefully this time it will go right. Don't forget pictures.
I doubt it but I'm going to call them anyway. I would suspect they would take the position that they have no idea if we mixed it correctly, had it shaken or some other application mistake.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:39 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchet View Post
I doubt it but I'm going to call them anyway. I would suspect they would take the position that they have no idea if we mixed it correctly, had it shaken or some other application mistake.
They could take that position but you have evidence that you did it correctly over much of the RV with the red prep & painting. You might point that out to them.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:17 AM   #118

I'm almost to the paint!

Quote:
Well it's been a difficult week, I have put a crew of 3 on this project all week with the intent we get it done by next week. But like any major refit there are setbacks. I'm sure it's because I went out and picked up the license plate and registration and ordered the mounting plate for the Jeep in preparation of maybe doing a shakedown cruise next week.

Here is the latest: We sprayed 2 coats of clear coat today and the silver metallic looks terrible. I have been ignoring the problems with the silver acting like the color seperation would somehow go away. After spraying the clear coat it magnified the seperation making it much worse. Further problems is we used a scotch pad to scratch the surface for the clear coat and those scuff marks are evident after the clear coat.

I called Awlgrip for technical advice they suggested we use more coats of clear to fill in the scuff marks but it only made it worse. The color seperation really looks bad on this silver. Given we have had 2 gls and 1 qt and no matter which batch we made the seperation seems to be evident. I'm going to call Awlgrip tomorrow and inquire because that's about $1000 in paint that looks terrible.

The silver has to be repainted no matter what. So unfortunately we have to tape and mask off and sand the silver. The problem is the labor hours to repaint this and the cost of buying the paint is alot. I don't want to risk painting silver again to maybe have the exact same result. So the decision was made to change colors and I ordered a beige type color in a non metallic and were going to repaint the color and clear coat it. We have to go through the exercise either way I just don't want to end up here again. The Awlcraft 2000 non metallic color is about 1/2 the cost of the metallic anyway.

On a positive note the Cayanne Red metallic looks very nice after the clear coat. The new electric steps we ordered arrived today so were going to get them installed tomorrow. So in the end we have a slight set back but we will recover. It has to be right otherwise we will have wasted a lot of money and time.

Wow...having to do the paint again is the pits. From what I understand the metalic is very touchy to apply. From what I was told, to much paint per coat or paint that is diluted to thin and the metalic will run or bunch giving you the hazzy look or halows! It looks like colour seperation but I think it's actually just a loarger concentration of metalic in some areas giving it a darker look.

My rv is just about ready for the paint. The body work is all being done out side in the drive way! Lucky the weather has been good! I have a professional body worker helping me and we ahve about 300 hrs just in the body. He told me that your prep has to be neer perfect or you will see the scratches come through the paint. Everywhere we have done some work he will apply 2 to 3 coats of primer and then finish sand to 500 grit for best results. I think after hearing your problems, as a final coat of primer I will cover the whole coach just to ensure there are no marks or colour variances due to the original paint!

If it makes you feel better....I thought mine would be a quicker job too, but when you get started there is so much you find that needs repair and attention that the job just gets bigger and bigger. I wnat it done right so even if it takes all summer it has to be done. I hope to take it out on the Laboure Day weekend, but that may not even happen the way things are going.

If you want to have a look at mine, here is the link. I have started to post the repairs and should have time to post more when the RV is being painted. As you will understand I'm a little short on time right now!!

Rebuilding 1992 TourMaster

Good Luck

Eric
Old 07-30-2012, 07:33 PM   #119

Glad to know I'm not alone in the process!
Old 08-02-2012, 08:46 PM   #120

Quick Update

I have all my new base color paint in and new gallons of clear coat so Sat we're going to shoot the new color and re-clearcoat the MH. New pictures to follow!
Old 08-02-2012, 08:57 PM   #121

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
I have all my new base color paint in and new gallons of clear coat so Sat we're going to shoot the new color and re-clearcoat the MH. New pictures to follow!

Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:09 PM   #122

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I know everything will go well.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:18 AM   #123

Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Spraying on Sat so new pictures by mid week? Can't wait but I guess we'll have to wait. I got my fingers crossed that all will be to your liking this time.
Home base Phoenix Az
judy3972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:02 PM   #124

I'm hoping to shoot some pictures tomorrow after we shoot paint.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:00 PM   #125

New pictures

After 12 long hours today we got the new base coat color down that is replacing the metallic silver. We shot 3 coats of the new color then had lunch. After lunch we peeled the masking tape, removed the paper and the fine tape used for the lines. Once removed we moved into shooting clear coat. Prior to masking the red we had scuffed it to prepare it for clear coating. Once we removed the masking paper we wiped it down and proceeded to shoot 4 coats of clear coat over the entire motorhome.

The end result was fantastic, the new color looks good and much improved
over the silver. We have a couple of spots to clean up next week but were about done. Here is some photo's.

BEFORE

AFTER

To some it may look the same but the flaws in the silver were not visible in the photos. The new cream color is a softer much more pleasant color then the silver.

[
Old 08-04-2012, 09:35 PM   #126

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree on the cream color being softer. Had to go back and look at the older pictures of the silver. Hard to tell from side shots but the front shot lets you see it. It looks great , will look forward to a picture out side.