Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2014, 02:42 PM   #1

Making Sense of Numbers?

What I'm trying to understand is how the weight of a towed vehicle affects the amount of stuff that can be packed in the MH. I understand one has to factor in people, pets, food, water, bedding, propane & the stuff that's packed into storage bins & basements.

If there was weight on the tongue, I could see where it would make a big difference but since the weight of the toad is on it's own wheels, it doesn't seem like it should make as big of a difference.

I can see the restriction on hitch weight and how towing a 10,000 lb something with a 5000 lb hitch would not be a good idea but that's not what I mean. I get how hauling something weighing several thousand lbs would effect climbing & descending mountains and stopping distances. I tow a horse & horse trailer around some so have figured that part out!

So here's the math problem:

If the payload is 5000 lbs and the toad weighs 3000 lbs, how much is the payload reduced?
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2014, 02:53 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenS144 View Post
What I'm trying to understand is how the weight of a towed vehicle affects the amount of stuff that can be packed in the MH. I understand one has to factor in people, pets, food, water, bedding, propane & the stuff that's packed into storage bins & basements.

If there was weight on the tongue, I could see where it would make a big difference but since the weight of the toad is on it's own wheels, it doesn't seem like it should make as big of a difference.

I can see the restriction on hitch weight and how towing a 10,000 lb something with a 5000 lb hitch would not be a good idea but that's not what I mean. I get how hauling something weighing several thousand lbs would effect climbing & descending mountains and stopping distances. I tow a horse & horse trailer around some so have figured that part out!

So here's the math problem:

If the payload is 5000 lbs and the toad weighs 3000 lbs, how much is the payload reduced?
I dunno, what is your weight before the toad, your GVWR and your GCWR?
Old 05-21-2014, 02:54 PM   #3

Payload (GVWR) of the MH is reduced by the tongue weight & the weight of the hitch. The GCWR is reduced by the weight of the toad (3000lbs).
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 04:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwell View Post
I dunno, what is your weight before the toad, your GVWR and your GCWR?

Are you trying to confuse me? It worked!
Old 05-21-2014, 04:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
Payload (GVWR) of the MH is reduced by the tongue weight & the weight of the hitch. The GCWR is reduced by the weight of the toad (3000lbs).
Well, that hardly seems fair! Who thought up all these numbers we have to worry about anyway?

When I first started showing horses some.... umm.... well.. a LONG time ago, if you could hook it to a truck, you could tow it. It was another life, with a different hubs but we hauled a 4 horse stock with 3 & sometimes 4 horses plus hay, grain & tack with a 150. We also had a Winnie Brave for awhile and that poor thing did the same thing for a year or so.

Thanks for the explanation though. That helps!
Old 05-21-2014, 04:28 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
You asked "If the payload is 5000 lbs and the toad weighs 3000 lbs, how much is the payload reduced?"

First, never exceed the GCWR or the GVWR.

The GCWR is the GVWR + towed weight.

GVWR is weight of vehicle + cargo + tongue weight (if any)

If the towed weight has no tongue weight then no matter how heavy it is, it doesn't affect the GVWR - only the GCWR and should never exceed the maximum weight your vehicle can tow.
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 05:08 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankcj View Post
You asked "If the payload is 5000 lbs and the toad weighs 3000 lbs, how much is the payload reduced?"

First, never exceed the GCWR or the GVWR.

The GCWR is the GVWR + towed weight.

GVWR is weight of vehicle + cargo + tongue weight (if any)

If the towed weight has no tongue weight then no matter how heavy it is, it doesn't affect the GVWR - only the GCWR and should never exceed the maximum weight your vehicle can tow.
"What he said."

This may help. The GCVW is the manufacturers maximum recommended weight of the tow unit plus all attached trailers and/or vehicles. It is determined by engineers considering horsepower, gear ratio, brakes, transmission, drive line and other factors we are not aware of. I am sure they consider the capacity of the vehicle during its life cycle.

The GWV is the maximum weight the tow unit can be including vehicle, hitch weigth, fuel, food, water (all three kinds), people, pets, clothing and anything you might be trying to smuggle. It considers the frame, axles, tires (not much as that is another subject), springs, ride height, etc. This is the weight the engineers consider to be safe to drive at (or less) for the entire life of the vehicle. Note: Changing to bigger tires or adding air bags etc will not change the GVW.

Then there is GAWR (front and rear). This is the maximum weight that can be safely carried on either the front or the rear axles. This can affect handling. A trip to the weigh scale can quickly help you see how you are doing. If you are going to weigh it you should load it up as you would normally travel. Don't cheat and only add have a tank of water or fuel and then head home and top up!

The GCVW - GVWR = the maximum recommended weight that you can safely tow.

It can get very confusing and as you get more experienced it will become much easier.

Have a great time with your MH.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:01 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Payload is a fuzzy term...

Here's what the governing body for RV mfgt's (the RVIA) defines these measures as:
Definitions and Terms | RVSEF

The big 2 that you should avoid exceeding are:
~Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) - The total weight (empty RV plus stuff in RV, including fuel and water) designed/allowed to be carried on the wheels of the motorhome.

~Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) - The total allowed mass of everything (RV, stuff, trailer/car and stuff in trailer/car) that the motorhome's engine is pulling down the road.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote