Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2014, 06:14 AM   #1

Making sure I'm getting a fair deal

the wife and i are about to become class A owners its just a matter of time. we have found one that we both like and i know the owner and how he takes care of his equipment. its a 2004 holiday rambler vacationer 50th anniversary addition 34 SBD on the work horse chassis with the 8.1. it has 23k for miles and has just about every option available on it. full body paint new tires updated awnings. always has been in heated storage during the winter. there asking $60,000 for it. a sales rep at camping world said that was more then a fair deal. i would just like to make sure of that and get some opinions.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2014, 07:44 AM   #2

Sounds like a nice rig. I think the price seems a bit high to me. Check the value using google. That will point you to nada for price values.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:09 AM   #3

A fair deal is what a willing buyer and a willing seller agree on. You can check the Kelly rv blue book for value, but that does not make it a fair deal.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:51 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Try New Car Prices and Used Car Book Values - NADAguides. It's easy to use and gives you an idea of the value.
Cousin Ed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:51 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
There is not a column in the NADA price guide for "Know owner and how they take care of equipment".

Please add $10,000 for that.

Fair deal for a nice coach.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:28 AM   #6

i looked at n a d a and they said it was worth around 40 which i thought was low. i know the owner and i would eat off the floor of this motor home and would get in it tomorrow and drive to Alaska and back with out thinking twice. its a little older then what we wanted but the quality of the holiday ramblers from what I'm reading and talking to people is high. biggest thing that concerns me is the age.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:48 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Should be a great MH, but again a bit high for a no trade cash deal. Don't get into friendship on a business deal. At 60 grand you are in diesel pusher of same year.

LEN
Old 08-25-2014, 09:49 AM   #8
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with a solution.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:00 AM   #9

Why do you think NADA's value of $40k is low? Their opinion is most certainly derived from many recent sales of similar 2004 HRs. It is still a buyer's market for used RVs. At $60k you are in serious 40' DP territory. Asking a sales rep at CW for his opinion on fairness is like asking the fox if he has seen anyone stealing chickens from the hen house.

If the known owner is a friend of yours and you buy this gem, he probably won't be a friend for long. Don't kid yourself, any 10 year old MH with only 23k miles will have problems ahead.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:31 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Just for reference, in 2010 we trade in our 2005 Itasca Suncruiser 37B and the dealer listed it for 69,999. They sold it 2 years later for 40,000. It had 63,000 miles but was immaculate, and everything worked perfectly.
Cousin Ed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:17 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Last fall my friend bought a 2004 HR 38' 50th year addition. He paid $42,000 for it. It had 36,000 miles on it, is in perfect shape, always waxed twice a year. Brand new Michelin tires, new brakes. The gel coat is like new also. I can send you pictures if you like (if you want pics send me ur cell #, I haven't figured out how to post on this site and always have to have someone else do it for me). They love the coach. I think $60,000 for a 34' sounds very high. Wait a few months and your friends will realize how hard it is to sell any motorhome. My cell is 717 468-4469.

I just looked up NADA values. $33,000 - $40,000. Several dealers have told me to never add for options on a used motorhome, I guess they are right.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:33 AM   #12

I'm feeling the same thing. Thinking I'll be shopping some more. This sight is awesome. Thanks for all the feed back
Old 08-25-2014, 12:06 PM   #13

Starting to look at other options. We were leaning on a gas class A. Being are first RV we don't wanna get in over are head. Were both young and new to this so were looking for all the help we can get. I plan on doing most of my own work and know gas engines a lot better then diesel but not afraid to dive in to a diesel but I know there more complex and everything is five times more expensive when it breaks. Really would appreciate all the help we can get here. I'm a gm fan but I'm open minded. Thanks again
Old 08-25-2014, 02:26 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
[QUOTE=Air Baron;2197986]. Asking a sales rep at CW for his opinion on fairness is like asking the fox if he has seen anyone stealing chickens from the hen house.

Air Baron, I love the way you put this.

Evi, You are in a great position-- nothing to sell or trade! Take your time, study all the sites and make note of how long anything you see stays on the market. You will see most motorhomes on there for months and years. It took me two years to find that HR for my friend and also bought one for myself in the process (I had a pull behind camper). I bought a 34' National that was garaged kept it's whole life. Being garage kept is far more important than about anything else. But like Air Baron said, any 10 year old MH will have some issues. I bought mine a year ago and have spent much time (I love to putter) and $$ to get it just the way I like.
We love the convenience of the MH compared to the camper.