Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2018, 06:31 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Making that sharp right turn - do you take two lanes?

I was recently in a situation heading to a camp ground where I came to a traffic light and had to make a sharp right turn. I knew there was no way I could make that turn from the right lane.

This road had two lanes in both directions, but only the right lane was marked for making a right turn. And it had a right turn traffic light that was not synchronized with the go straight traffic light.
______
So I got into the left lane (for going straight) with my right turn signal on, but cars kept coming up on the right and would not let me turn. After a few horns blowing and I end up just going straight (fortunately that was a choice. It could have turned out that going straight put me in a worse situation).

What do you do?

I thought about a couple of scenarios.

1) Rather get fully into left lane to make my right turn - I could straddle the center of the road (although even that may not have been enough). But this may be the best/only choice.

2) Have wife get out and stop traffic from coming up on right side, then I make the turn, stop and she gets back in (...I don't think so. I don't want her to get killed so I can make a turn).

3) Maybe add a swing out sign (like school buses use) that says "Stop making right turn". Some tractor trailers have a sign like this too. Seems that many would ignore this - plus it would look like crap, and be a challenge to get something like that installed and wired up.
But this idea has some appeal to it.

4) Just except the fact that my RV is too big for some turns and live with it.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2018, 06:41 AM   #2

Some rigs are too big for some turns. You may want to check for truck prohibitions on your routes to be safe. "Splitting the lanes" by straddling the center line should be enough, so long as you are turning onto a street with enough room to finish the turn. Get jammed up on a turn like that with a toad and you have your hands full.

Sometimes it is safer and more courteous to your fellow drivers to just re-route.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:43 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I guess every situation is different including my mood.

I have straddled the 2 lanes to be able to make the turn. I also have just gone straight and make the appropriate turns to get to my destination.

Most important thought is realizing that you can't make the turn and doing something else, better then curbing the tires or taking out the side of the coach.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:50 AM   #4

During the Class A driver school we were taught to "cheat" to the left lane or straddle the line as some say.
Some turns are so tight they cannot be made without danger or damage. Continue on safely with two left turns to end up going straight to the desired road.
Sometimes you may have to go a few miles out of your way to find a good opportunity to get back on course. Just don't rush into a bad decision.
Good luck.
JohnH12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:02 AM   #5

In a low volume traffic area I'll straddle the line. If it's busy and I'm holding up traffic or too dangerous, then go on past and approach again from the opposite direction and turn left. Every situation is a bit different.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:07 AM   #6

Be aware that the traffic code requires you to make a right turn from the right lane. If you turn into someone going to your right you can be ticketed.
If you can, stay to the left side of the lane and put the front of the coach across the center line of the road that you are turning into. Then you can see when that lane is clear.
Or, do three lefts. Whatever works.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:11 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Ditto on the last two posts. Been there, done that. Sometimes you just have to realize you can't make the turn you want to, so approach from a different direction. I try and check out the approach I'll have to make to an RV park with google earth just to watch out for those things.
David3811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:17 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I think I should have gotten into the left lane then put the nose of the coach into the right lane to block traffic and make it obvious what I was doing.

I could have made the turn if the guy coming down the other street (I was turning onto) stopped short in his turn lane. But he pulled all the way up to the stop line - so that screwed me (not blaming that other guy).

I did have to ride up the curb and it left a scratch on the right side about 4 feet long in front of the duallys along the bottom edge (but easy enough to touch up).

I know now that I need to "inspect the entire route" using Google Maps and zooming into the intersections to see what I'm up against (no pun).
Old 02-23-2018, 07:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
I think I should have gotten into the left lane then put the nose of the coach into the right lane to block traffic and make it obvious what I was doing.

I could have made the turn if the guy coming down the other street (I was turning onto) stopped short in his turn lane. But he pulled all the way up to the stop line - so that screwed me (not blaming that other guy).

I did have to ride up the curb and it left a scratch on the right side about 4 feet long in front of the duallys along the bottom edge (but easy enough to touch up).

I know now that I need to "inspect the entire route" using Google Maps and zooming into the intersections to see what I'm up against (no pun).
Number one: never assume that anything is obvious to other drivers.
Number two: pull up to that car in the new lane. They might figure it out and back up or you may have to wait until he can clear your path.
A couple of of suggestions to keep the fiberglass shiny.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:42 AM   #10

Mike, I have driven oversize, Heavy Construction Equipment, for over 30 years. 24 feet wide was the widest, 100 foot long was the longest, the load alone. I have learned over the years is you stand your ground, don't be bullish, but stand your ground. People will look at the situation your in and some will figure out how to work with you, most are Sheep and will honk and Always Drive like idiots.

I would have eased into the left lane with right signal on and slowly start my right turn while turning I would be also heading into to oncoming traffic lane while turning right so as to clear the right curb and or signal pole. Most people will see your situation and work with you.

2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:42 AM   #11

Watch what the big trucks do, they will pull up to a intersection and put on the blinkers, once traffic clears then they will swing wide and make the turn. The key is to be patient and don't panic, traffic will eventually clear and let you turn.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:56 AM   #12

The one thing you DO NOT want to do is be in the left (straight) lane and have the nose of your RV in the right (turning) lane! You will have nothing but trouble.

You should have straddled the left and right lane keeping your coach straight thus blocking traffic in both lanes. Straddling the lane helps keep the back swing out from hitting any cars on your left.

As you are pulling forward to make the turn, keep your wheels straight and wait until you hip is just at the curb and then turn your wheels to the right. If you are on a truck route and if the cars are behind the stop line (in the lane you are turning toward) you should be good.

Take your coach and a couple of cones to a parking lot and practice your right turns. You will find they are not too hard even in tight spaces.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:18 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverhome2 View Post

You should have straddled the left and right lane keeping your coach straight thus blocking traffic in both lanes. Straddling the lane helps keep the back swing out from hitting any cars on your left.
Amen

One of my mistakes was not realizing how tight the turn was until I was in the right lane almost at the light.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:09 AM   #14

Looking ahead and planning along with experience will make almost any maneuver easy. Remember, you are bigger than the cars and they don't want damage either. Once you begin to straddle both lanes with the right signal on, all but the dumbest and most inconsiderate driver will know what you have to do. Just ignore stupidity. Take the space you need and make the turn. 90% of the drivers out there will let/help you do it.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote