Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2016, 07:07 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Making use of storage above the rail

For those of you with pass-thru storage above and below the rail - how have you made use of the storage area above the rail, and kept things from falling off

The rail seems too large to manage to get a tie down strap around, right

2017 Itasca Solei 36G
"The 5 Shades of Gray"
Suzuki Burgman scooter on the rack
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2016, 11:01 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
My compartments, including the pass through ones, are covered in carpet that helps prevent things sliding around. I've never had an issue with things sliding around or shifting. You could install D rings or other loops or hooks to the top or bottom of the compartment to fasten bungee cords to if you think you need to anchor everything.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 11:03 PM   #3

I used the wire closet shelving sold at hardware stores. I used hog rings and hose clamps to keep the shelving in place. I actually doubled it so that I had a rim on both sides. Originally I had wood shelves, but the new ones allow me to see thru finding the object from below. There is a picture of these in my blog if you wish to view it.
Old 07-30-2016, 11:56 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I also like using the wire racks up high. I mount as much as I can, as high as I can, freeing up floor space.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 12:18 AM   #5
RV Enthusiast

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Don, did you add the folding ladder in the PVC pipe?
Old 07-31-2016, 12:27 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Just to be clear, I am trying to figure out how to use the storage area above the rail as shown here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bayrail.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	134589  

2017 Itasca Solei 36G
"The 5 Shades of Gray"
Suzuki Burgman scooter on the rack
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 01:13 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Your photo clears up your question. Is the space above the frame rails a continuous shelf between the rails or open space? If a shelf, you could put raised edges to keep things from sliding off.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 04:51 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"RV Vagabond".....In my photo, that wire rack is at the top of the rail, giving me storage above. That photo is from my Diplomat. In my new coach, the rail is pretty much against the roof, but I still store poles, fishing poles and anything flat enough to push up there. I'm really big on finding hidden storage and storing things I infrequently use up and out of the way. My current coach has a dead area above the engine doors when you open them and look inside. I mounted clips up in there and store a broom and rake.

"Electra 225".....I mounted that sewer hose form Camping World (correct size) on the wall so that the ladder is easy to get to and use, without moving things around.

On my Dutch Star, I went with the taller 7' folding ladder and bought a piece of square fence post from Lowes. They sell an 8' length (it has some cut outs in it for rails) to make the holder. I mount a wood base (6' - 7' long) on the bay wall and then drill a large hole through one side of the fence post so that I can get a socket through it and then screw through the opposite side into the wood in several spots. Just make sure you space it out far enough on the wall so the ladder slips past the lip on your door frame.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 12:33 AM   #9

RV Vagabond, your rails are much lower than mine. It appears that a low profile plastic bin w/ lid, the kind you find at Walmart would work for small items. You will just have to attach some kind of rail to keep the bins in place while traveling, or perhaps a bungee cord. Space like that lends itself to items you don't need very often. Or just bungee cord bigger items in. You may need a shelf. I prefer to fasten shelves down without drilling into the coach. I use hose clamps or the like.
Old 08-01-2016, 12:47 AM   #10

We are using 10 gallon Rubbermaid Roughneck tubs in those spaces. We can get three of four depending on the orientation in each space.

Haven't totally solved some tubs wanting to slide out. In two of the spaces, the items in the outer compartments are tall enough to keep the tubs over the rails in place.

I tried using some light bungees to nylon cable clamps screwed into the floor above but that hasn't worked well.

We do carry a 7' collapsible ladder in one of the pass-thrus.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 03:30 PM   #11

Rv Vagabond,
The rail, as shown, is the same as our Forza. Our toad has no spare tire and is a "not as common" 18" wheel size. When I had the toad tires replaced I kept one tire and it "friction" fits nicely above the rail. While we have Coach-Net who can bring us an RV tire this way should the toad need roadside replacement we have a serviceable tire to be installed.

We also store the "canvas" type folding chairs there and they don't shift. The 7' folding ladder is there as well bunged to an interior brace and it stays put.
If you use plastic containers for small stuff glue strips of thin carpeting to the bottom and they will not slide
TarasParents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 03:06 PM   #12

I have a carpeted shelve above my rail. At one time I carried extra bag chairs, folding recliners, and a little giant ladder. After my last tire change, I keep one of the best tires unmounted on the shelve (22.5) just fits. Tight enough I use the awning hook to side it out.

TJ

thunderjet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage