Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2015, 02:22 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Manual awning

I have a twelve foot awning on my Fleetwood Flair m/h....it opens fine, but when I go to close it...it doesn't seem to line up with the piece that is fixed to the top of the motor home..( I call it the block ) the arm is hollow on the inside and right at the top on the inside, I usually have to spray some WD 40 and pry it over about a 1/4 inch to get the top of the arm to drop into place...I've left my levelers down in the front and up in the back...thinking less pressure to get it to slide into place...seems to help a little...checked to see if things were level thinking maybe that was the problem but all level...Used to work fine a year ago....thanks for the help everyone....Camping is wonderful isn't it...lol...
kchadw1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2015, 04:22 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

There are a couple possibilities, all basic mechanics. You can start by simply giving the extended awning a good shove in the right direction to get it better aligned. Sometimes that bit of bending is all it takes. Also watch the awning as it rolls up to see if it is rolling evenly, or skewing off to one side. Sometimes the torsion spring in the roller tube on one side gets weak or breaks, so that one end is winding tight and the other just following along. The material rolls up unevenly, forcing it to mis-align. It might also be that the upper or lower end of the awning has slipped sideways in its track (slot), which will make it roll cockeyed. Both ends are supposed to be aligned with each other and locked in place with a screw. If the screw falls out or rusts away, it can move a bit.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 05:19 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What happens is the fabric slides a bit on the roller (Usually) so if the arm comes up forward of the fixed bracket, Unroll it, then lift it to release tension on the fabric and work it forward a bit.. Try again and again till it lines up.

On my coach the top end has a screw to keep that from happening, alas, only on the top (i got to do that fix some day and screw the bottom too)
Old 01-02-2015, 10:55 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a 21ft manual on our Dutch Star, and I had a similar problem. The problem was the handling strap. For convenience, I had moved it along to where it was just about 6ft from the end with the release lever. But this put unbalanced force on the roller tube and caused the frame members to skew out of alignment. When I moved the strap back to the approximate center the problem resolved. I'm not sure to what degree your 12ft would be vulnerable like this, but it's worth checking.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, manual