Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2016, 08:19 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
MANUAL Awning - Repair

Question?: I have a manual awning on my 1999 Dolphin 36', F53 Ford Chassis.

The knob that I have to contact and move to allow the awning to deploy is broken. It will not release the awning and does not lock in place for storage.

How hard is it to repair or replace the locking knob on the Awning?

Where can I find parts? (Don't know the manufacturer).

When I actually climb up and pull the awning down to open it up, it will unfurl as long as I hold pressure on it. Then I have to tighten the arms while holding the awning down to use it.

I'm afraid that it will come loose driving down the road or lock up totally so I can open it at all.

Thanks for any information or guidance.
yn1bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2016, 08:35 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by yn1bennett View Post
Question?: I have a manual awning on my 1999 Dolphin 36', F53 Ford Chassis.

The knob that I have to contact and move to allow the awning to deploy is broken. It will not release the awning and does not lock in place for storage.

How hard is it to repair or replace the locking knob on the Awning?

Where can I find parts? (Don't know the manufacturer).

When I actually climb up and pull the awning down to open it up, it will unfurl as long as I hold pressure on it. Then I have to tighten the arms while holding the awning down to use it.

I'm afraid that it will come loose driving down the road or lock up totally so I can open it at all.

Thanks for any information or guidance.
yn1bennett
Parts and manuals for most RV awnings are available online... but you first need to determine the make and model of the awning in question.

Can you post a photo of yours?
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 09:35 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Odds are its a Dometic A&E. But it sounds like you may have several problems, or may not know exactly how this awning is supposed to operate.

I have a Dometic Awning manual on my site. See if this is your awning?

http://2001mirada.com/DOWNLOAD/Dometic%20Awning.pdf

Google "Dometic Awning parts",

Look just below where you entered "Dometic Awning parts". You 'll see All, Maps, Videos, Images, etc ( maybe not in that order. Click on "images"

I found a parts breakdown on whayt I think your looking for HERE

Spare Parts Diagram - Dometic A&E 8500 / 9000 Awning - Arms | Caravan Dometic Awning Parts | CaravansPlus

I think the item your looking for is #6.

American RV has that item for $3.12

Dometic 3311578.001 Knob Adjuster with Stud Assembly Camper Trailer RV

IMPORTANT HEADS UP

Look carefully at the side brace slide part. both of mine were cracked and getting ready to fail. See the article here:

Awning sliding bracket support bracket cracked on both sides | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 09:49 AM   #4

yn1bennett
Yours could be a Carefree of Colorado awning.
Google "carefree of colorado awning parts".
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 11:28 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Awning

I think I found it. A&E. Right Torsion Assembly. It has the knob that unlocks and locks the awning.
When I pull the awning down, it will not lock down. The knob just swivels all around.
Thanks Guys. Of course this is only $191.00. Can't be a $7.00 part.
Just my luck.
Old 11-08-2016, 01:04 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Before you spend the money, you might want to take the end cap off of the large rollup tube. I suspect that the small ratchet jaw fell off of the shaft, probably the pin that holds the jaw to the shaft broke or fell out.

If you want to know how to get the end cap off, look at a couple videos on how to replace the fabric. In the videos, you remove the entire large tube from the MH. Since your not really going to replace the fabric, you won't need to remove the awning, just take off the end cap.Note that you won't need to actually remove the awning just to pull the end cap.

The end cap will hold the ratchet, jaw, torsion spring, etc, etc, etc.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 01:43 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Great idea. I will see if I can do that and repair it before spending more money.
Thanks for the info.
Old 11-08-2016, 01:49 PM   #8

Be careful when taking it off, as it can hurt you. I found if you put vise grips on the section of rod between end cap and arm bracket you can let the pressure off the spring safely. If it hasn't been taken apart before it will require drilling out the pop rivets on the end cap.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 03:29 PM   #9

Quote:
I think I found it. A&E. Right Torsion Assembly. It has the knob that unlocks and locks the awning.
When I pull the awning down, it will not lock down. The knob just swivels all around.
Thanks Guys. Of course this is only $191.00. Can't be a $7.00 part.
Just my luck.
I'm guessing the cost is higher because you can't order the original parts anymore. If it's an A&E (Dometic) the locking mechanism was redesigned in 2002 or 2003. The original lock was a ratcheting pawl against a sharp toothed sprocket. They were problematic in that they sometimes either sheared teeth of the sprocket or the end sheared off the pawl.

The later design used a blunt or square nosed pawl and a corresponding sprocket with fewer squared off teeth. Here's a link to a picture of the later design. Note the square teeth (as opposed to sharp angular teeth) on the sprocket.

RV CAMPER AWNING BLACK RETRACT SPRING Right LOCKING END FITS A & E 8500/9000 | eBay
Old 11-09-2016, 01:03 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Great idea. I will see if I can do that and repair it before spending more money.
Thanks for the info.
Did you get this fixed or figure out what parts you need? I have a 1998 National Sea Breeze with a manual awning. I think it's a Dometic and I have a manual for it. I had the dealer we bought from replace the latching mechanism as part of our deal when we purchased so I can not advise as to how. Let me know and I can scan the manual and send it to you if needed.
Old 11-09-2016, 03:12 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just trying to get this straight in my mind; are you talking about the cam lever lock or are you talking about the black round adjustment knob that is on the awning rafter arm? If you are talking about the black round adjustment knob there is a nut on the inside of arm that is either stripped out or lost. Waiter21 has a good link that shows it. If you lost it they are kind of hard to get back in place but it can be done. As in Waiter21 link they are just over $3.00. When I lost my nut I found it on the ground and it was just a square hex nut which could probably be found at local hardware store.
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, manual, repair