RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2016, 05:44 PM   #15

An electric conversion will change your life, literally. Spend an extra $150.00 with Shade-Pro if you use them and get the upgrade that allows for change of pitch on one end or both. Otherwise the awning may be too high.
We use our awning a thousand percent more now with now crazy arm and pole extension ( I secretly always worried about catching a piece of skin in there)
This upgrade has enhanced our camping and RV time. Second best upgrade I've done to the Holiday Rambler, my 4th RV. Cost was around $1000.00 and my existing fabric was in great shape so no need to replace that.

kiethco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2016, 07:08 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I like power awnings for the fact, if its raining, I can put it out from inside. I also close it when we go to bed. Not something I want to do in the dark. Maybe its just me but I like everything automatic. Levelers, windshield curtain, antenna, ice maker and even my cord reel. I agree the awning is just something else that can fail but I really don't mind fixing things when they do.

Old 11-08-2016, 07:32 PM   #17

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I could adjust the tilt or slope of our electric awning on our Coachmen Mirada by adjusting the arms. I usually sloped it towards the read for rain water to run off. It was designed to take some pretty strong winds too with the gas shocks that were on it. Even when flat it would automatically dump if too much water pooled up on it. At least in theory.

Am I missing something?
Cranemec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 08:01 PM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I thought about this one for a bit but the cost of the conversion for an 18' awning was beyond my budget. What pushed me further away was that a manual awning pretty much will always roll up when it's time to leave. I have a preference for keeping coach systems on the simple side.

On another note, left my manual awning out over night this past summer while camped south of Kansas City. Weather guessers forecast a storm moving thru overnight north of the city. It came south and folded the awing over the coach. Blink of an eye it was gone. $300 later and replacement of the rails and I was back in business except for the layers on Eternabond covering the cracked shower skylight.
Sweetbriar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:57 AM   #19

A few years ago, maybe more than I think, I considered changing to an electric awning, mainly to prevent unfurling of the awning while driving. Research reviled that the electric awnings unfurled also, anyway, there were reports of it, not just a few. I then found a manual crank system the uses your same awning, but using a gear drive on the right side of the awning allows for extending or retracting the awning as you might want, and uses the same arms as before. The best part is it is locked by pretty solid gears the do not let the awning unfurl. I am surprised at how many people watch when I extend or retract the awning in this day of auto systems.
wildmanbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 02:00 PM   #20
epj

On my old Endeavor I was able to convert to electric and still had the option of adjusting the tilt. Best of both worlds. That coach didn't have a slide on the passenger side. Current phaeton has two front slides and the electric awning is completely non adjustable. However, I haven't had the awning retracted in months. Seems so work as advertised as far as dumping water when we have had rain. Haven't had much. I'd certainly put it in in a storm. Especially with the height of a Motorhome, the old manual awnings are too much to handle these days, especially when 18-20' long.

Tags
awning, manual