Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2006, 04:48 AM   #1

I've got the Sat Finder utility for my laptop. My coach came with a manual Winegard RM-46DE dish with a digital elevation sensor built in. The instructions seem easy enough; determine the elevation and azimuth for the satellite I want to find using the utility or the sat receiver's built in function, find North with a compass, turn the directional dial on the dish to North, raise the dish to the correct elevation per the readout and then rotate the dish slowly in 2 degree increments until the signal is found. Make fine adjustments as needed to peak the signal strength as indicated on the sat receiver. Is that it? BTW, what does "skew" or polarization angle mean and how is that used in aiming the dish, if at all?

TIA!

8.3L Cummins ISC
BIGRED1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2006, 04:48 AM   #2

I've got the Sat Finder utility for my laptop. My coach came with a manual Winegard RM-46DE dish with a digital elevation sensor built in. The instructions seem easy enough; determine the elevation and azimuth for the satellite I want to find using the utility or the sat receiver's built in function, find North with a compass, turn the directional dial on the dish to North, raise the dish to the correct elevation per the readout and then rotate the dish slowly in 2 degree increments until the signal is found. Make fine adjustments as needed to peak the signal strength as indicated on the sat receiver. Is that it? BTW, what does "skew" or polarization angle mean and how is that used in aiming the dish, if at all?

TIA!

8.3L Cummins ISC
Old 08-02-2006, 06:39 AM   #3
jfb

DISH or Direct? We have DISH 500. Point you ant from the az. and angle given on your TV screen (from ZIP). You'll get only one sat. We got most of our pkg from the one setting.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:42 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">what does "skew" or polarization angle mean </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
"Skew" is the angle of the dish from straight up ...when you "skew" it you rotate the properly aimed dish to one side. ...that setting is required on the Dish twin LNB setup in order to receive two satellites at the same time. A single LNB dish does not skew, and does not need to skew.

jfb ...why would you not skew your Dish 500 setup so you can receive all you are paying for? ...if you don't want the channels on the other satellite, you could be paying for a less costly level of service than one requiring the Dish 500 antenna!
Old 08-02-2006, 06:54 AM   #5
jfb

We utilized the skew when we had a tripod mounted dish antenna. We kept the DISH 500 receiver when we got a new MH with the Winn. mounted ant. We could not set the skew
Perhaps there was a way?? Anyway, we got a KING dome (because of wind-caused signal loss). KING dome does not have skew but does have programmed capabilities to switch between the two satellites which DISH 500 utilizes. We have a Port-a-sat internet setup which utilizes the skew to a great degree.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:43 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
jfb

Got it ...our motorhome came with a Winegard electronic dish that could supposedly automatically switch between the two satellites. We were never able to make it work right, and when we had it replaced found that one power lead was not securely connected under the dish at the roof.

We replaced the Winegard this past April with a Motosat MD500 (dual LNB auto seeking self-skew satellite dish ...only roof-top dish I am aware of that has the skew feature). We have not had any wind-caused signal loss with the MD500 as it does not flop around in the wind like I have seen the OEM Winegard dishes do.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:56 PM   #7

I was told on another forum that skew is used on dishes that have multiple LNBs and can access more than one satellite at a time. I also discovered that my manual dish has a digital elevation sensor and an audible signal peaking altert built into it.

8.3L Cummins ISC
Old 08-04-2006, 05:52 AM   #8

We had the Winegard manual dish with Digital Magic elevation sensor on our other coach, I loved it. We were able to lock on and get a picture within a couple of minutes after we used it and became familar with the operation.

We could aim it much faster than the KVH Tracvision dome works in our present coach.

I am sure after you use it a few times, you will find it easy to locate the satellite. Of course we also had/have a GPS program on our laptop and always know what zip code we are in to get the settings for the dish. This really helped with the manual dish.

Ron

GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 11:39 AM   #9

I have a DeLorme GPS on my laptop. Is there a utility available that can convert GPS coordinates to a zip code?

8.3L Cummins ISC
Old 08-07-2006, 02:30 PM   #10

Gaines, Your Deloreme software will do that. Click on Find, then on Advanced, then type in coordinates. After locating, move the cross hairs to the location on the map and you will see in the lower left corner of your screen where the location is and there will also be the Zip Code. You can also do the reverse with the ZIP code and the coordinates are displayed on the right side of the screen.

2005 Itasca Horizon, 40AD, 2005 Chevy Silverado
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 06:26 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GStream40:
We had the Winegard manual dish with Digital Magic elevation sensor on our other coach, I loved it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi, I have a problem with the elevation sensor. Wondering if anyone else has had this problem. After I get the dish unlocked and pointed in the right direction for DirectTV, when I start rotating the dish up the reading on the sensor jumps around wildly with number all over the place - like 25, 33, 55, 46, 72, 66, 40, etc. When it gets all the way up, I get the HH display, and when all the way down I get the LL. What is wrong with the sensor? I have gotten lucky a few times and picked up the sat, but this sensor problem is making the process very time consuming!

Thanks, Jeff.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:32 AM   #12

Just a guess but, how about the battery---9volt, I think.

Or possibly the sensor is loose on the dish itself and bouncing around as you elevate it.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:57 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
The battery is behind the display? Anyway, I do not get the low batt warning - but I guess I could try that. For the sensor on the dish, it looks fixed mount in manual - is their a pickup on the gear? Anyone know the the ratio of cranks to degrees up? Thx.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:58 AM   #14
JCM

Triple E Owners Club
It is the easiest dish to aim. Set your digital elevation to the aproximate setting. Look out side and see where your neighbour's dishes are aimed or look at a compass and get a general heading. Rotate your dish untill it finds a satalite - it will be the correct one or your receiver will tell you it is the wrong one and tell you the degree setting for the wrong satalite. Lock your dish on this satalite - adjust elevation for a good signal. THEN rotate the coumpass heading dial on your roof dish (on the celling) to the same degree setting as is the "wrong satalite". Then simply unlock the roof dish and rotate it to the proper degree setting (heading) of your satalite - presto you are on it without using a compass etc. It is actually quicker to do than it is to type out the instructions.
For example - looking for 91" at aprox 30. elevation. Crank up the dish to 30. and rotate it south east (on west coast) untill I receive a signal - receive a signal at 110. lock dish and adjust elevation till I get a strong signal. Rotate the degree indicator on the celing to 110. at the pointer. Unlock the dish and rotate to 91. and with minor adjustments - presto I am on the satalite I want without trying to look at a real compass or aligining the coach etc.
Hope this helps. It is faster then an automatic dish.