Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2015, 10:34 AM   #1

Exclamation Manuals for 1999 MHC Residency

Hi All,

Well we took the plunge (in a HUGE way ) and got ourselves an RV--a 37 foot Class A; specifically a '99 Mountain High Coachworks (now defunct) Residency. A nice rig, but as could be expected for a 16-year old, she has a few things that need addressing...and I don't want to be unprepared should a more serious issue arise. I'm pretty mechanically competent and would like to be able to do some work myself and save a few bucks.

We have a number of manuals; unfortunately there doesn't appear to be anything that addresses the coach itself. If someone could assist me in getting useful manuals (e.g. Owner's, shop, wiring--whatever is available), I would be ever so thankful!

Regards,
Adrian

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2015, 02:59 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Sadly, most manuals aren't worth the trees killed for their production. They're full of generalities but no specifics as to locations or the way things are interconnected. I think lawyers make sure they do no harm!

You could try here:
Manuals - 1990 & Newer - RVing-The Midwest Connection

Also you could read manuals from other manufacturers to get an idea. More useful would be to crawl through your RV from end to end and note the make and model of everything so labeled. Then Google that info with the word, 'manual' tacked on and you'll find most RV systems have manuals on line for download. In addition, troubleshooting guides, testing procedures, and parts numbers and diagrams are often included. Don't forget the search function in the Google box at the top of this page, if you have an issue with something, someone else did too and probably started a thread on it.

While crawling through your RV, also note any fuses you find. Again, the manuals usually don't identify their locations, but on a dark and stormy night it's good info to have!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 03:17 PM   #3

We've got a 2000 MHC Summit, and I'm not convinced they ever made specific manuals for the coaches. I got a bunch of manuals for the chassis and engine and appliances, but nothing MHC-specific. And it's hard to believe that someone would have tossed the specific manuals while keeping the rest of the pile.

The good news is that MHC's are very well built; at least with the Summit, given the MSRP at the time, it looks like they were bent on losing money on every unit they sold, but making it up in volume.

Steve
Old 09-09-2015, 08:59 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies. It is possible that the manuals were never given to the original owner...I have quite a few manuals, but no coach one. You would think, though, for a vehicle that originally listed for $100K+ that you would have received an owners manual. That's nuts.

I would concur about the quality, Steve. The cabinetry in particular are just works of art. It was unfortunate MHC's choice of window manufacturer; but I realize that they probably couldn't have known in advance that they were junk. Most all of my SE-GIs have the blasted snaking problem. I've already ordered a smaller Dave Root repair kit to try out. I am not looking forward to what would be involved in taking out those windows though :(

The fuse block under the dash makes reference something to the effect to refer to the owner's manual--though I realize that's no bona fide proof that such a manual ever existed. But someone--even if just MHC-internal-- must have had wiring diagrams.

So right now I'm dealing with a specific issue: the set of 3(?) lights in one ceiling fixture on the passenger side not far from the door does not appear to be getting juice. Tried swapping known-good bulb and checking the voltage...power appears dead. How in the world I would track the wires back is not very clear to me--I don't even know what fuse block feeds it.

I remember years ago seeing a device that guys that deal with network wiring use to check wiring and am wondering if one of those would come in handy. I think that some gizmo that may emit a signal (RF?) would be attached at one end and then a receiver could locate the wire on the other end. Of course, I would possibly have to disconnect a ton of fuses to get correct results.

If a kind soul out there has a wiring diagram or knows the particulars of this problem, please let me know. Thank you!
Old 09-09-2015, 09:50 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
The fuse for a ceiling light would be on the house fuse panel, but a single fixture is usually not separately fused. Since it is near the front (entrance?) it could be on a wall switch in the step area. Often a switch is there to turn on a few lights when entering the RV.

The other possibility would be that the fixture you're describing is getting it's power from the next working light on the ceiling. If you take down that fixture, check that all wires coming and going from that light are connected properly.

The device you're describing is a circuit tracer. I have a small battery powered one that allows checking continuity and helps identify wires on the same circuit.

Bob & Donna
Old 09-11-2015, 10:17 AM   #6

Thanks Bob and/or Donna! There was indeed a wall switch powering the light fixture--and the lights work just fine (duh!).

Say, what kind of mileage do you get with your Beetle when pushing your DP? Have you run into any visibility problems, what with the MH located in front?!
Old 09-11-2015, 10:50 AM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by akole View Post
Thanks Bob and/or Donna! There was indeed a wall switch powering the light fixture--and the lights work just fine (duh!).

Say, what kind of mileage do you get with your Beetle when pushing your DP? Have you run into any visibility problems, what with the MH located in front?!
Nah, I sit and steer from the RV, use a rope along the side back to the accelerator pedal in the beetle.

Bob & Donna

Tags
manual