Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2010, 11:49 AM   #1

Market Value Resources

I am in the market to buy a used class A and need valid resources to help determine a fair bid for today's economy. Sources in addition to the usual online NADA would sorely be appreciated.
Long ago the 24% discount was useful but I am out of date with the current market. Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2010, 03:01 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

The online NADA RV Guide is not market data - just estimated depreciation. It's ok data in a broad sense, but may be at odds with your local market and maybe way low on desirable models that held their value better than average.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:46 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
nada

I have seen representatives of NADA at the wholesale dealer auctions making note of the sale price of each vehicle sold. I don't know, but have always assumed, that was where they got their prices.
photoadjuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 06:48 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Have you seen this at an RV sale? They use actual sales data for cars, but not for RVs. Or at least not in the online RV book. I can't testify one way or the other about the NADA RV Wholesale book.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:08 AM   #5

You might check with a bank or credit union's NADA book. I've read it's different from the online NADA which is too high.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:27 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron and Marsha View Post
I am in the market to buy a used class A and need valid resources to help determine a fair bid for today's economy. Sources in addition to the usual online NADA would sorely be appreciated.
Long ago the 24% discount was useful but I am out of date with the current market. Thanks.
Check ebay for both sales and nonsales. They have a lot of listings and market value is determined by willing sellers and willing buyers, not a predetermined depreciation %. Even unsold vehicles provide data. If someone lists a buyitnow price and no takes it, that price is too high for the market. Similarly, if there are zero bids for the opening price set by the seller, that price is too high. If there are bids that do not meet the minimum reserve, then those bids may be too low (i.e. seller is not willing to part with MH at that price OR seller is not pricing to market). Of course closed, successful auctions are a pretty good measure of market value. Unlike your local dealer, who may only have a few used units and maybe a handful of people actually look at them, ebay has thousands of buyers and sellers. This is probably the best current data available.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:43 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
[QUOTE=Dave and Jaime;697603]Check ebay for both sales and nonsales. QUOTE]

I have been watching RV sales on Ebay for 2 years now. Coaches are RARELY sold via the auction method. Rather, the auction is a convenient way for the coach owner to attract attention. So, what sells may not be a good measure either.

I haven't found a reliable resource except for scouring the internet to see what's being sold in places like RV USA, RV Trader and sites like those.
Robsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:42 AM   #8

Current Trends in RV Values

Thanks to those who gave us ideas. As always, this is a valued forum.

I did find something that may or may not be of value and hope by giving specific name, it meets with ethics of this bulletin board.

Has anyone heard or, or used, or found information from "rv guru" to be valid?

Like folks have said, getting a handle on what the market can bear is the trillion dollar question.