Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2013, 09:18 AM   #15

I bought one from thesepeople for our house ,I am very happy with the quality and sleep like a baby on it.
Lasting Impressions Memory Foam Mattresses & Toppers

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2013, 07:01 AM   #16

Thanks to all. We settled on a elation cool max gel foam RV mattress from mattress insider of Colorado. Great reviews and customer service. My wife sent email late Friday and they called on Saturday. If you do not like it within 30 days you can donate it and get you money back.

We love our coach!

StevieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:58 AM   #17

Stevie, which mattress did you go with, the 5" or the 8". Great price on the 5 but the other link to Lasting Impressions gives a better price of the 8" with everything else looking to be about the same. Thanks! Vince
Old 07-18-2013, 08:00 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by minsider View Post
Being that you have a 60"x80" queen size, you have a ton of options. To piggy back off another poster, I'd highly recommend buying a mattress that is compressed and rolled. It makes your life a lot easier when you're trying to bring it into the bedroom. It turns a 2-3 person job into a 1 person job.

If you tend to sleep on your side, I'd recommend something in a medium firm to a plush feel. If you sleep on your back or your stomach, I'd go with something with more of a firm feel. I'd stay away from soft mattresses as they tend to use lower density foams which can break down quickly causing the mattress to sag. You can always make a mattress softer by putting something on top of it (memory foam topper, etc).

If your bed has storage underneath (sit's on a platform with a lift spring), I'd make sure you don't purchase anything too heavy as the lift springs aren't designed to hold a lot of weight.

Being that RV's tend to get very hot, I'd look for a mattress designed to sleep cooler. There are mattresses out on the market now specifically designed for RV's which use temperature regulating fabrics (e.g. Cool-Max) as well as temperature neutral components (gel, natural latex, soy foam, open-cell memory foam, pocketed coils, etc).

If you go the air mattress route, make sure to adjust the pressure accordingly when traveling to and from higher elevations. Otherwise, the changes in air pressure can burst the air chambers leaving you with a hammock for a mattress.

Lastly, make sure to ask the sales person what your options are if after a 2-3 months on it and you decide you don't like it. You want to make sure they'll take it back or at least exchange it for you. Some places will do this and some don't.

Good luck!
I would only disagree with one thing. I would not worry about rolled or anything else. If you are buying an expensive mattress from a dealer make delivery part of the deal. If nothing else ask if they will deliver it for free if you bring your motorhome to their dealership
Old 07-18-2013, 08:32 PM   #19

Gulf Streamers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well, just my opinion, we have the sleep number at home and 12" of progrssive memory foam in the rv, I like the foam better, moved from my old trailer to the coach, The sleep number is ok, but its kind a like on water bed, IE, when some one gets in or out of bed the other person can feel it, the airbag on one side of the bed affects the other side
Old 07-18-2013, 09:37 PM   #20

We ordered the 5.5, however it won't deliver for about a month because we are on the road. First stop is Thor for some tweaking. They always treat us well. This is our second coach from Thor and we are happy, happy, happy as Phil says.

We love our coach!
Old 07-19-2013, 01:49 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieD View Post
Thanks to all. We settled on a elation cool max gel foam RV mattress from mattress insider of Colorado. Great reviews and customer service. My wife sent email late Friday and they called on Saturday. If you do not like it within 30 days you can donate it and get you money back.

We love our coach!
Thanks for your order StevieD!
Old 07-19-2013, 01:59 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincee View Post
Stevie, which mattress did you go with, the 5" or the 8". Great price on the 5 but the other link to Lasting Impressions gives a better price of the 8" with everything else looking to be about the same. Thanks! Vince
Hi Vincee. I'm going to answer your question in our vendor forum found
here
Old 07-19-2013, 09:36 AM   #23

Your welcome, we look forward to being sleepy.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:29 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post

We bought a temperpedic brand for our home and afer having it for a while when we bought a motorhome bought one for it. The temperpedic brand is pretty expensive but you get what you pay for. If you buy one go to the store and like another poster said lay on each one until you find what you like. Temperpedic has a 90 day trial warranty so you can buy it and if you dont like it return it. They are pretty heavy. I would let them deliver it. My store had free delivery.
We also are very happy with our tempurpedic in our home but like it was mentioned above, some people love them and others don't. Regardless, read the fine print if you buy a tempurpedic from a distributor. The 90 day return only allows you to exchange for another model. If you order directly from the factory in Lexington, KY. And you are not satisfied, you can get your money back after jumping through a few hoops but you will pay for return shipping. In our opinion the tempurpedic cloud supreme and the cloud breeze are great sleep systems but pricy. Periodically Tempurpedic will offer 5 year payment option with no interest charge. Watch for that and other incentives if you decide on tempurpedic.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:14 AM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlow46 View Post
We also are very happy with our tempurpedic in our home but like it was mentioned above, some people love them and others don't. Regardless, read the fine print if you buy a tempurpedic from a distributor. The 90 day return only allows you to exchange for another model. If you order directly from the factory in Lexington, KY. And you are not satisfied, you can get your money back after jumping through a few hoops but you will pay for return shipping. In our opinion the tempurpedic cloud supreme and the cloud breeze are great sleep systems but pricy. Periodically Tempurpedic will offer 5 year payment option with no interest charge. Watch for that and other incentives if you decide on tempurpedic.
Actually our distributor explained that fine print to us. If we brought it back there was a 300.00 charge for bringing it back. If we traded for a different type of mattress they would wave that 300.00 charge. The King size upper tier temperpedic was in the neighborhood of 4000.00 I thought that if I did not like it I would rather be out 300.00 than the full 4000.00 That would be provided we did not find a mattress we liked at the store. To be honest about it the first couple of weeks I did not like the temperpedic it is a very different sleeping experience. I had 90 days to try it out and the salesman actually warned us we might not like it at first but to give it a chance. I got more and more used to it and by the end of 90 days loved it. The biggest problem I have now is when I go somewhere that I have to sleep on a different mattress I have trouble getting comfortable.

I am not sure whether paying the 300.00 or shipping would be cheaper. They are pretty heavy and I could not imagine boxing it up.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:38 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
Actually our distributor explained that fine print to us. If we brought it back there was a 300.00 charge for bringing it back. If we traded for a different type of mattress they would wave that 300.00 charge. The King size upper tier temperpedic was in the neighborhood of 4000.00 I thought that if I did not like it I would rather be out 300.00 than the full 4000.00 That would be provided we did not find a mattress we liked at the store. To be honest about it the first couple of weeks I did not like the temperpedic it is a very different sleeping experience. I had 90 days to try it out and the salesman actually warned us we might not like it at first but to give it a chance. I got more and more used to it and by the end of 90 days loved it. The biggest problem I have now is when I go somewhere that I have to sleep on a different mattress I have trouble getting comfortable.

I am not sure whether paying the 300.00 or shipping would be cheaper. They are pretty heavy and I could not imagine boxing it up.
Unless you're a hi volume commercial shipper, LTL freight costs average around $300-400 to the average consumer when shipping something that size. When I used to sell Tempurpedic, it cost me around $200 on average to ship one of their mattresses.

In regards to having a hard time sleeping when you're on a different mattress, I can definitely relate to that. You might look for a memory foam topper to bring with you when traveling. When my wife was near her due date for our son (who is now 3 months old), I vacuum packed a 2" memory foam topper and had it in the go bag since I knew I was going to be sleeping on the couch in the hospital room or a cot. Made a world of difference.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:21 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
We went to the local Mattress Firm store and bought a queen size innerspring mattress. It was not even the top of the line, just a good mattress. We enjoy sleeping on that (and actually feel better) then when we sleep on our very expensive adjustable Sleep Number King with the special pillow top that they put on it….. Man, I will never buy one of those again, or ever recommend them to anyone…
What about it didn't you like? The firmness is adjustable ? Never heard anybody say they didn't like a sleep number bed.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:35 PM   #28

I had a king sleep number and never could get comfortable on it. When I bought our xl twins I was quoted $150 for return shipping to factory and they pick up at the home. Still a 90 day limit imposed but that was long enough to find out that the mattress was perfect for us. Realize it is not for everyone but for us was the best nights sleep in years.