Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2012, 01:17 PM   #1

Max Gen Set Run Time

what is the longest you've run your gen set in one stretch? is there anything wrong with running it for a straight 12 hours or so? outside of the obvious fuel consumption, should i have any concerns running it all day while at work to keep the coach at a bearable temperature when it can't be hooked to a shore power?
RESharp001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2012, 01:41 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
the only issues i can think of are:

1. CO poisoning. deadly. get/build a gen-turi.

2. running out of fuel. an annoyance. start out with full tanks.

3. low genny oil tripping the shut off. also an annoyance. start out with the oil full in the genny.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4MBG View Post
the only issues i can think of are:

1. CO poisoning. deadly. get/build a gen-turi.

2. running out of fuel. an annoyance. start out with full tanks.

3. low genny oil tripping the shut off. also an annoyance. start out with the oil full in the genny.

thanks. that is kind of what i was thinking, but i haven't ever run it near that long in one stretch. it's coming to work tomorrow and then leaving from there and i cant stand the thought of it being about 150 degrees when i get in it after work, not to mention all the food items that are not refriderated being exposed to those temps. good think that i know our CO alarm works.....DW sprayed some sunblock on the other day and it set that sucker off several times!
RESharp001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:12 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
[QUOTE=RESharp001;1226006] should i have any concerns running it all day while at work to keep the coach at a bearable temperature... QUOTE]

Only that... it seems like an absurd waste of energy! How long would it take to bring the temperature inside to bearable if you left it off all day? I don't want to be critical... but sometimes... It just begs to ask the obvious question. We... (me included) are a wasteful bunch here in the US of A.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:44 PM   #5

It is common for the big diesel generators in entertainer coaches to run 24-7 for a weeks straight, shutting down only long enough once a week to change the oil and then strarting another week of runtime. You didn't say what size gen or fuel type you have, but most RV generators should have no trouble running all day. During hot weather many RVers, me included, run the generator all day while driving to get the benefit of the roof airs. I have run mine for three days and nights straight during a hot weather roadtrip with truckstop overnights. It was no problem for my 7500 diesel.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:50 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
There are other options....

I added a battery monitor and auto gen start to the magnum inverter in my monaco, it. Was $410 for both, including the upgraded control panel i needed to use em. It will power up the genny based on battery state, inside temp, or just plain time. Cake for me to have the genny crank up 2 hours before i get backk to the coach.

I think onan sells one, and i know other companies do, standalone auto gen start systems for way less money than i paid to integrate into the system i all ready had.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:28 PM   #7

We've run ours for 72+ hours at a time before never a problem.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:28 PM   #8

Returned from NMEX where we dry camped for 7-8 days temps to ninties some days. Gen curfew 10 pm to 6 am, ran gen some days 14-15 hours. Inverter was nice at night for fan, thanks to cool nights. 7.5 Onan did fine, added oil once.
buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:32 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR John
We've run ours for 72+ hours at a time before never a problem.
Ditto. We've done the same when dry camping along the Colorado River in the summer. No I'll effects on us or the genny.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:38 PM   #10

The only thing that it matters is you will have to service it sooner, let it run it's better for than not.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:08 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I ran my Onan 5.5KW Marquis gold gasser for 72 hours straight. Used 50 gallons of gas ran 2 ACs and TV and computer. Burns .68 gallons per hour. Used 3/4 quart of oil. It heated my fresh water in the adjacent compartment.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:19 PM   #12

American Coach Owners Club
Red face Genny

I run mine for weeks at a time if it's hot out --- keep the A/C running while I'm driving down the road- never an issue. I have an older DKDFJ Onan- side radiator. I do the service every 200 hours or so.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by namwob View Post
How long would it take to bring the temperature inside to bearable if you left it off all day?
Well, it depends on ambient temp and how long the coach has had to heat soak. As an example, it was 106 here Tuesday, and my coach was parked under a carport all day. When I got in at 7:00 PM the temp inside the coach was 113 degrees. Fired up the genny and started the A/C. Two hours later the inside temp was down to 93 degrees, so given a 12 hour heat soak in 100+ degree temps it cools off about 10 degrees per hour. That was roof A/C only, no dash A/C. YMMV. If I was in the OP's position I'd probably run out at lunch and fire up the genny and A/C.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:30 AM   #14

We use our MH as our hunting base camp. When the temps drop down to the teens and twenties, our generator runs 24/7. We have ran it for as long as 12 days non stop. Also when it gets to within a couple days of leaving we would plug the engine block heater in. I know you only need to plug it in for a few hours but.....The main thing about running the generator any length of time, is that it need a load on it, other wise you could damage the engine. You do need to keep an eye on the oil level and DO NOT trust the low oil level system to let you know that it is getting low on oil.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote