Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2018, 05:27 PM   #29

Country Coach Owners Club
I'm in the same boat with about a 90' run. I purchased (2) 50 Amp 30 foot cords on ebay for $105 each. Excellent quality and work as planned.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/30-foot-50-...72.m2749.l2649

ELeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2018, 05:40 PM   #30

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My hernia just started hurting again thinking about hauling 80 feet of 50 amp cable around. UGH!
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 10:44 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamboneTHW View Post
So the geniuses that wired our house put the panel on the opposite side of the house from the driveway. I want to install a 50 amp receptacle at the house. When measuring, it will be about an 80' run of cord from the receptacle to the coach. Voltage calculations are showing a 1.34 voltage drop for 85' of 6/3 on 2 legs of 120 volts. Will this cause any issues for anything on the coach?

Already pricing power cords... This is gonna suck... But the convenience of being able to plug in at the house the day before leaving... Priceless
Not really much of an issue with 1.3v drop.

Some people call it 110, or 115vac. You should be fine. ESPECIALLY since you have calculated the votage drop. Your doing Great already!
Mike Tomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 01:13 PM   #32

Max length for 50 amp run?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamboneTHW View Post
So the geniuses that wired our house put the panel on the opposite side of the house from the driveway. I want to install a 50 amp receptacle at the house. When measuring, it will be about an 80' run of cord from the receptacle to the coach. Voltage calculations are showing a 1.34 voltage drop for 85' of 6/3 on 2 legs of 120 volts. Will this cause any issues for anything on the coach?

Already pricing power cords... This is gonna suck... But the convenience of being able to plug in at the house the day before leaving... Priceless

Although you may never need 50 amps, it should be done right. Therefore, 50 amp draw @ 120 volts with #6 copper the voltage drop is 3.36 which is 2.8%. 50 amp service is 240/120, however campers generally only have 120 volt devices. The loads are distributed across both legs, however it is possible to draw 50 amps on one leg a 0 amps on the other leg... which is the worst-case scenario to account for. Voltage could drop to 116 which is totally fine. This represents the worst case scenario. Drawing current on both legs and/or drawing less than 50 amps, the situation only improves.

The worst part is running the wire.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 02:13 PM   #33

You can step it down to the 20 amp adapter and use a quality extension cord. You can operate most everything. We have a 38 ft class A and when we plug into the house we run everything except the zone 2 a/c. Ensure you use a quality cord that won’t over heat and trip the breaker.
dowdytj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 03:19 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Go with 50amps, that way there are no limitations when relatives are visiting. My run from the panel on the wrong end of the house to the pedestal was 130’. I consulted an electrician and went up a size in the wire for the long run. Solid 50amps all the time running at 122vac. Be sure and run the ground back to the panel, or you will get a floating neutral. I wanted a couple of 120v outlets on the circuit too. I put a 60amp double breaker in the main panel. The pedestal at the other end has a double 50amp protecting the coach. I have a 120v 20amp circuit off each phase of the pedestal on GFCI. Runs great with no problems, no wire heating, good to go.
Mikey143 is offline   Reply With Quote