Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2018, 05:40 PM   #1

Max length for 50 amp run?

So the geniuses that wired our house put the panel on the opposite side of the house from the driveway. I want to install a 50 amp receptacle at the house. When measuring, it will be about an 80' run of cord from the receptacle to the coach. Voltage calculations are showing a 1.34 voltage drop for 85' of 6/3 on 2 legs of 120 volts. Will this cause any issues for anything on the coach?

Already pricing power cords... This is gonna suck... But the convenience of being able to plug in at the house the day before leaving... Priceless
HamboneTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2018, 05:50 PM   #2

Why do you need 50amp service from house to trailer? I assume you want to chill the fridge & possibly top off the battery bank.

Simply step the 50amp shore power down to a 20amp or 15amp, the portable genny plug, & turn the breakers off for everything except the charger & fridge.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 05:51 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I think it would be fine. ~1.5 voltage drop isn't a big issue. My progressive will not drop out until the voltage gets below 104.

I monitor my power daily, am plugged into the 50 amp receptacle, the voltage varies from 115-120. I have a couple of occasions when the power has dropped to below 104 and the surge protector dropped out.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 06:09 PM   #4

+/- 5% is perfectly safe. As jacwjames indicated, I would use a good EMS that will protect the coach against dangerous drops or surges.
6 gauge should be fine at that length, but it never hurts to make sure the cord isn't getting hot if you're ever drawing a lot of current.
The other option of course is to have an electrician run a 50 amp line over to the driveway side of the house.
Old 03-24-2018, 06:18 PM   #5

I am in the same spot as you, using 80' to my 50 amp outlet and no issue observed.
Old 03-24-2018, 06:19 PM   #6

Should not be a problem. Voltage drop over distance is a function of amperage draw. Do you really think you will draw 100 Amps (120V @ 50A x 2 legs) that often sitting in your driveway? I surely would not. 6/3wg AWG wire should be more than ample. Not to worry. The geniuses did just fine.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 06:57 PM   #7

I have a pretty good run to connect my 50A motorhome too. I just went with a 30A connection to save a little money on wire and such. I don't really need 50A in the driveway to run the fridge, charger and one A/C. 30A works just fine.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
I have a pretty good run to connect my 50A motorhome too. I just went with a 30A connection to save a little money on wire and such. I don't really need 50A in the driveway to run the fridge, charger and one A/C. 30A works just fine.
I figured that I might as well. I know that I could save by running 30 amp, but better to be able to run whatever the wife wants and not have to worry. We also have some friends with an RV that come to stay for a week and like to stay on their coach, so this way they can run any and everything as well.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
+/- 5% is perfectly safe. As jacwjames indicated, I would use a good EMS that will protect the coach against dangerous drops or surges.
6 gauge should be fine at that length, but it never hurts to make sure the cord isn't getting hot if you're ever drawing a lot of current.
The other option of course is to have an electrician run a 50 amp line over to the driveway side of the house.
I used to do electrical work. I'm not a fan of trenching wire and I like the traditional braided 6/3 better than the weatherproof wire, so then you're talking PVC work as well. A black extension cord temporarily won't both me. This isn't our forever home, otherwise I might look into doing that. The Navy still moves me every 2 to 3 years.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
Sonic,

Do you have a recommendation on which EMS is best? Looking to install one anyway, as you never know what the state of a RV park is.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:39 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamboneTHW View Post
I figured that I might as well. I know that I could save by running 30 amp, but better to be able to run whatever the wife wants and not have to worry. We also have some friends with an RV that come to stay for a week and like to stay on their coach, so this way they can run any and everything as well.
I agree, you're going to the trouble of installing it, why not put in what the coach needs.

On the Canyon Star we routinely use 70' of cord when parked at the in-laws in Atlanta and run both A/C's and all the other stuff like normal. Have a Surge Guard and it has never complained. Of course it helps that their utility runs high to begin with (125V L-N).

BTW I have the Surge Guard but would recommend the Progressive unit, they have a better warranty and service IMHO.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 07:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2go View Post
I agree, you're going to the trouble of installing it, why not put in what the coach needs.

On the Canyon Star we routinely use 70' of cord when parked at the in-laws in Atlanta and run both A/C's and all the other stuff like normal. Have a Surge Guard and it has never complained. Of course it helps that their utility runs high to begin with (125V L-N).

BTW I have the Surge Guard but would recommend the Progressive unit, they have a better warranty and service IMHO.
Do you have any specs on the Progressive unit? Sorry to play dumb, but is this a hardwired unit? Or does it plug into shore power, then the cord into it like a home use surge protector?
Old 03-24-2018, 07:51 PM   #13

3% point to point
5% service to end
Those are NEC guidelines
Old 03-24-2018, 07:55 PM   #14

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
6 AWG is sufficient generally. You could go 4 AWG if it is a really long run.

Quote:
Voltage calculations are showing a 1.34 voltage drop for 85' of 6/3 on 2 legs of 120 volts. Will this cause any issues for anything on the coach?
A 1.34 drop is nominal, and won't cause any issues.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote